Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Services WW1 & WW2 deaths willing to do GRO refere

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 17 Nov 2004 19:46

As much info as possible please,also Boer Wars. Mary

Ross

Ross Report 17 Nov 2004 19:54

Hi Mary,dont know if i have enough info for you but here goes..Iam looking for a private William Rothwell,died,1917/18 in France,i,m not sure of his date of birth,but my aunt told me he was under age..sorry Mary but i dont even have his regiment. regards KC

Mary

Mary Report 17 Nov 2004 20:08

Hi KC I have found 2 possibles for William Rothwell: 1918 William Rothwell Private Number 26915 Grenadier Guards Vol G.1 Page 237 1917 William Rothwell Driver No 687305 R.F.A Vol A.8 Page 186 Regards Mary

Ross

Ross Report 17 Nov 2004 20:25

Many thanks Mary..does it say anything about where he died or was buried???Is there anything there about the Bay of Biscay??? Kind regards Kevin

Mary

Mary Report 17 Nov 2004 20:28

Hi Pat All WW1 and WW2 are on 1837online in the Overseas Section. Cannot find Percy Ashton but found Peter W Ashton as follows:Sevice No 552735 Sapper Royal Engineers 1918 Volume E.2 Page 291 You gave 552735 as Percy's service number but on Peter W's record his service number is given as 552735 a bit odd. Also Charles H George Cpl Service no 617675 RAF Unit 7011 SE 1945 Volume 6 Page 54. Regards Mary

Mary

Mary Report 17 Nov 2004 20:31

Hi KC All it gives is the reference for his death.If you want to know more try the Commonwealth War Graves Site(Google it),it is very good and often you can find quite a lot of info. Regards Mary

Ross

Ross Report 17 Nov 2004 20:44

I,ll do that Mary.thank you for your time and effort..KC

Ross

Ross Report 17 Nov 2004 21:32

Got him Mary..Thank you KC

chezzy

chezzy Report 17 Nov 2004 21:47

hi mary,more advice than anything..got a rellie William King b.bacup 1880c know he died in the battle of the somme,yr?? he left a widow catherine(nee mcmanus)and five children. could have been lancashire fusiliers reg as he joined up in bury..how can i narrow down the posibilities as william king is quite a popular name...??any advice would be most appreciated,many thanks mary,cherie.x

Mary

Mary Report 18 Nov 2004 00:19

Hi Cherie This is going to be difficult to trace because as you say there are many William Kings on the records.If you had his Service Number that would be a great help and if we knew what Regiment etc he was in that would be good too. By the way the Battle of the Somme was in 1916.From the records of deaths I am not sure that the Lancashire Fusiliers were involved in the Somme.You could try the Commonwealth War Graves Site which has all the records for those who were killed and identified,but of course the problem is that many hundreds were never identified and unfortunately William may be one of them. Sorry I could not find any leads to follow up. Good luck with your search Regards Mary

Maria

Maria Report 18 Nov 2004 06:47

Hi Mary,probably impossible to find,cause i have very little info. Ernest cecil Winter born around 1902 was in the royal artillery and i know he was at frome rd barracks in trowbridge in wiltshire in 1941 He was a corporal I also know he worked on the railway in 1948. But unfortunatly thats it. Thankyou for your offer. maria

chezzy

chezzy Report 18 Nov 2004 11:07

thanks anyway mary.xx

Victoria

Victoria Report 18 Nov 2004 11:18

Hi Mary, I am looking for any info on Private JOHN GEORGE UPTON. Notts and Derbyshire Regiment a.k.a. "Sherwood Foresters". Regiment No 20075 Killed in Action 14/02/1916 Burried in Belgium. Any extra info will be really appreciated! Thanks.

Mary

Mary Report 18 Nov 2004 12:07

Hi Victoria I found the reference for John George Upton as follows: 1916 Service no 20075 10th Btn Sherwood Foresters Vol I.44 Page 336. As you said he is buried in Belgium at Bedford House Cemetery Enclosure No 4 VII .AA 29. Have you looked on the Commonwealth War Graves site where there are photos and more info.If you havenot seen this site just Google Commonwealth War Graves and hit I'm feeling lucky. Regards Mary

Mary

Mary Report 18 Nov 2004 12:13

Maria I am sorry but I do not think I can help with this enquiry as I was offering lookups for service casualties in the two World Wars and it appears that your man survived WW2. Sorry Mary

Lesley M

Lesley M Report 18 Nov 2004 12:19

Hi Constance Not sure whether this will be enough information or not, but I would like to find out anything about John Sidney M Fickling (could be listed just as Sidney Fickling as that was how he was known). He died in France during the first war, but I have not managed to find anything on the CWGC site. The surname is quite unusual, so I'm hoping you might be able to find something for me. He was born in 1896, so age at time of death could be anything between 18 and 22. I'm afraid I know nothing more than that. Thanks very much. Lesley

Mary

Mary Report 18 Nov 2004 13:13

Hi Lesley M Sorry but I could not find any record of your rellie on the War Deaths index. Perhaps he was never identified as so many sadly were. Regards Mary

Lesley M

Lesley M Report 18 Nov 2004 14:26

Thanks for looking for me Mary. I'm very grateful for your time. Lesley

Deany

Deany Report 18 Nov 2004 23:11

Mary Thankyou very much for the offer - if you can look for the following Id be most grateful Frank Dean ASC S/162 and ASC S4/237578 He got the Star medal and in the remarks on his medal card it says something like Disembd 21.09.19 so wonder if this means he died as the only other person on the same page to get the star deffo died. Any help really gratefully recieved Many thanks helen

Mary

Mary Report 18 Nov 2004 23:53

Hi Helen Sorry but I could not find a record on the war deaths index for a Frank Dean with the numbers you quoted .Have you tried the Commonwealth War Graves site.If you google and hit I'm feeling lucky it will take you straight to the site.There is always the possibilty that he died but was never identified,which sadly was the unfortunate fate of many thousands of participants in WW1. Sorry not more positive result Regards Mary