Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

desperate now!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kim

kim Report 2 Sep 2004 12:08

any ideas where to look now please!! i have florence hook(1883) marrid to john belton(1881/2?) married to florence hook in 1901, we can find florences past but we havent got anything to go on john with, all we know is his fathers name was samuel,this from marridge cert,we have no date of birth no date of death,have searched records for birth cetificate and nothing,we have narrowed his date of death down to 1924-41 and still nothing,we think he was born in islington area,he had 11 children each birth certificate we get has diferent address on and again cannot find no links to john, it seems everytime rent man due they must have moved,does anyone have any ideas how to find this man,any ideas we will go with as there is now 9 of us on it and some of us have been looking for last 5 years, this man knows how to hide, some one please help here,thanks kim

Pat

Pat Report 2 Sep 2004 12:43

Kim Have you tried the census for John, I have Ancestry and there is a Servant in 1901 25years old living in Seven Oaks Kent born in London. I could look up more on Ancestry if you you would like. Let me know Pat x

kim

kim Report 2 Sep 2004 12:50

have tried looking for samuel but getting no where,keep coming up with difrent wives and wrong kids, as for 1901 he was married to florence in may,have seen the search for him as servant and no no links there,see dead end everywhere,this family tree stuff is one easy rot to mad house and yes we have been trying to search them too

kim

kim Report 2 Sep 2004 12:53

thanks for offer pat,but its wrong one,i think,not sure of nothing here no more,we did search the 1901 census for addues we had on them and again nothing,any other ideas how did you sort yours out simone, as i have no mother name and all kids names i search dont lead the right way, i have even enlisted the help of some contacts from this site now and have sent them mad here too

Pat

Pat Report 2 Sep 2004 13:07

Kim Did you say you had been through the census, I have now looked through the 1871 and there is a John 1 year old born Islington father is John 29 b. Nottinghamshire and mother is Mary 28 born Leeds living in Islington? Do you think this could be him? Pat x

kim

kim Report 2 Sep 2004 13:42

hiya pat going to have look now, although wrong fathers name, he may have been known by name of john tho,nooo thinking bout it it cant be right my john belton was married to florence hook in 1901,islington,so ther for if this is man im looking for wifes name is wrong, see i was game ther elol thanks for that tho any more ideas i could do with following?? im game another few more years here wont hurt lol have just read you again and am goin to look any way it might lead somewhere i cant rule nothing out here

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 2 Sep 2004 14:19

Hi Is there any chance the church register records might have something that isn't on the GRO certs? If you know where the children were born, you might be able to trace the local church and get a sight of the (copy) baptism record). Christine

kim

kim Report 2 Sep 2004 17:14

thanks christine i have some baptism certs here too and there is nothing difrent on them,but thats an idea was wondering if i actualy went to the church would they have anything that i dont have,or havent seen,

Esta

Esta Report 2 Sep 2004 19:41

HI Kim if you don't mind me asking - what makes you think that John Belton was born 1881/1882 ? Esta :)

Shan

Shan Report 2 Sep 2004 19:44

Hi Kim, Pity you cant put all the certs and census online lol ME

Ivy

Ivy Report 2 Sep 2004 19:54

Samuel should be easier to find than John. There are 22 named Sam* Belton/Bilton living in England in 1881, old enough to be John's father. None of them have a young son John, which suggests that you are right to think that he is born just after the 1881 census. Not all of the older Sams are likely to have another child, so this narrows it down to very few parishes/1891 census entries to check. The younger unmarried Sams (15-25) may have married shortly after (is it fair to assume that if John was illegitimate, he would have taken his mother's name?). You can try looking for a marriage in 1881/82 of Sam Belton. Perhaps take each in turn and ask for a separate look-up?

Shan

Shan Report 2 Sep 2004 20:15

Hi all in 1881,Samuel is widowed with Sam junior have a Matilda Mccabe Servent living with them she goes on to marry Sam Snr, any help, Shan

Shan

Shan Report 2 Sep 2004 20:18

My line of thinking is John was the son of Matilda, born Before Thomas, so possibley before 1881, as Thomas was the eldest son in 1891 born to Matilda we dont know how long Sam snr had been a widow Matilda was a servant so maybe she went out of town and John was with relie's in 81 Shan

kim

kim Report 2 Sep 2004 21:05

hi all and i see your at it again shan lol, right did try follow sam lead, and yes did go with matilda being his mum tried to fit my john in as thomas hoping that he was known by another name but doesnt work as we know age of birth wrong,and think we found thomas death,so think i have to try another sam now,i got john birth from marrdige cert, have allowed for ages being wrong any info we have is off this certificate,i,e fathers name and address,heres a challenge for you if any one thinks this would be quite easy to find my john belton please join on as others have found it not that easy,has even sent some bit mad her ei think hasnt it shan lmao,

Esta

Esta Report 2 Sep 2004 21:27

Hi Kim I only asked as I thought I'd found him BUT then I realised my mistake I'd gone back 10 years not forward ! So all I've managed to do is add 20 years on to his age. I'll give you the details I found - just incase !! Please don't laugh, I did try but I've had a hard day at work !! Ellen Belton 2 Godstone, Surrey, England Daughter Godstone Surrey Emma Belton 11 Fletebing, Sussex, England Daughter Godstone Surrey John D Belton 9 Godstone, Surrey, England Son Godstone Surrey Lucy Belton 33 Horne, Surrey, England Wife Godstone Surrey Samuel Belton 35 Horne, Surrey, England Head Godstone Surrey Louisa Redford 24 Hartlebury, Sussex, England Visitor Godstone Surrey Esta :)

kim

kim Report 2 Sep 2004 21:34

hiya esta not to worry i wouldnt larf we have all been here i was sure i found him last week .... but nope wrong one again, thanks for tryin and i know he will have you going everywhere as i have added years taken years off, married him twice,or more given him more kids, i have done so many things now with this man, nothing hasnt been tried i think lmao

Lynne

Lynne Report 2 Sep 2004 21:36

Hi, Lynne here .Thought i was an alien too until the other day! Have you tried his local cemeteries. They can be very helpful if you know an approx.year/s. You may get someone who enjoys looking up these things!!!! ha ha Good luck

kim

kim Report 2 Sep 2004 21:42

hi lynn i think he was born in islington as we cant find him on no census i dont know what cemetry to start in,i know we have connections with st,pancras islington, finchley,camden and few more,as i havent mother or father name i dont know how i could ? any ideas, i know his name isnt on any of the kids stones that i can remeber, glad to know im not the only person to be an alien here lmao

kim

kim Report 2 Sep 2004 21:53

ok few more clues here we know he had the following kids violet may belton 1920 maud belton 1901 anne belton 1907 known as kitty katy belton 1909 matilda belton 1909 these were twins and this one was known as tilly but registered ada matilda, yes so it makes 2 adas lol edward belton1912 ada belton 1913 daisy belton 1914 lillian belton 1923 alice belton 1924. these dates are approx, each time a child has been registered we have followed the addy and they not there, we know florence married john 27.5.1901,she gave her age as a year older hers said 18 years old, his said 19yrs old, she was 17 at time of marridge so we have allowed for dates wrong here,this was in registry office of st.pancras,his father was sam belton mechanical engineer,living at 12 compton place,john was down as coach smith labourer,witnesses were annie hook whomwe assume was her mother as her father dead, and robert fitzgerald whom we dont know other than shan found him as a neighbour on one of the family addies if you can get any more clues from this or know where else we can look please tell us , all registerd in st pancras islington finsbury camden all them sort of areas

Sarah

Sarah Report 3 Sep 2004 14:13

Hi, On the 1901 Census living in St Pancras I found: Sam Belton 58 Banbury,Oxford HEAD St Pancras,London Matilda C Belton 39 Marylebone WIFE St Pancras,London Catharine Belton 16 Marylebone DAU St Pancras, London Ada Belton 12 St Pancras DAU St Pancras, London I think it says his job is a Smith, though it is quite hard to read. Also very hard to read the street name, though it does begin with a C. You have a Matilda and an Ada in your list of children, maybe they were named after family members? Haven't found a John yet though I'll keep looking, hope this helps Sarah :D