Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help to sort out a mess please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 1 May 2007 09:00

see below in a min

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 1 May 2007 09:03

can anyone help me sort out this family please? 1841 census Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 977; Book: 5; Civil Parish: West Bromwich; County: Staffordshire; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: 25; Page: 9; Line: 7; GSU roll: 474614. Benjamin Partridge and his family, on the main page there are only 4 in the family but on the actual image Benjamin 30 whole smith Mary 35 Samuel 10 Ezekiel 5 William Bell 15 Joseph Bell 15 Samuel Bell 9 Henry Bell 4 Ann Simcox 10 (the one I am interested in) 1851 census Name: Benjamin Partridge Age: 43 Estimated birth year: abt 1808 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Mary Gender: Male Where born: W Bromwich, Staffordshire, England Civil parish: West Bromwich Ecclesiastical parish: Christ Church County/Island: Staffordshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: West Bromwich Sub-registration district: West Bromwich North ED, institution, or vessel: 1w Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 70 Household Members: Name Age Henry Bell 19 Samuel Bell 21 Benjamin Partridge 43 Ezekiel Partridge 19 Mary Partridge 48 Sarah Simion 2 (this is Ann from the 1841 Illigimate daughter) I'm trying to work out how Ann and Sarah fit into this family, Bejnamin was the witness at Anns wedding some years later Thanks Linda

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 1 May 2007 09:13

Could this be her on the IGI? IGI Individual Record FamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index v5.0 British Isles Search Results | Download | Pedigree -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ANN SIMCOX Female -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: Christening: 09 OCT 1831 All Saints, West Bromwich, Stafford, England Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: JOSEPH SIMCOX Family Mother: ESTHER -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Messages:

Penny

Penny Report 1 May 2007 09:13

How has an morphed into sarah? Shouldnt she be 20, not 2?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 1 May 2007 09:14

Is Sarah Ann's daugther?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 1 May 2007 09:16

Do you know Mary Partridge's maiden name?

Penny

Penny Report 1 May 2007 09:23

1841 as transcribed , for ref Benjamin Partridge 30 Ezekiel Partridge 5 Mary Partridge 35 Samuel Partridge 10 all born staffordshire ------------------------------------------------------ Then there are some Bells... Then Ann (Simcot?)

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 1 May 2007 09:24

yes thats the one, Ann simcox it should be, she had an illiegitimate daughter Sarah in 1849

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 1 May 2007 09:27

Ann's surname is Simcox and Benjamins is partridge so can't be brother and sister , unless half brother and sister?? I think Mary Partridge must have been married before she married Benjamin which is where the Bell children come from but can't find anything to prove it

Penny

Penny Report 1 May 2007 09:27

1851 says SARAH SIMCOX - who is only 2, is Benjamins neice. So i'd guess that Ann is Bens sister

Penny

Penny Report 1 May 2007 09:29

How do you know that Ann hadn't been married? I am not convinced the Bell children are anything to do with Them. Benjamin is a WHITE smith, not a WHOLE smith

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 1 May 2007 09:33

I have her marriage certs first one 1851 she is a spinster her father William Simcox but she is never with the family on any of the censuses

Ivy

Ivy Report 1 May 2007 09:47

It's not easy to sort this one out! Summary only: there are four surnames so far: Partridge, Bell, Simcox and Simion (as in Bible Simeon?). Benjamin has presumably been a Partridge throughout (I did wonder whether this is an Anglicised immigrant name, but I see there are 4,000 Partridges in England in 1841 and in 1851). The others belong to females. It seems OK at this stage to take Anne's word for her parentage, so take her as a Simcox. Mary's history is worth exploring - she has both Partridge and Bell (step?)children, but since the 1841 census rounded the ages, it would be helpful to see how these births fit. Did Benjamin have another wife before Mary? Could Anne be a sister of either Mary, or a previous wife of Benjamin's? Do you have the Partridge and Bell birth certificates or baptisms?

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 1 May 2007 09:50

Thank you Ivy, The simion is actually Simcox on the image I've only just found these Partridge lot so was looking for pointers to see where they all fit in, It seems too much of a co incidence that Ann was with them on the 41 cenus her Daughter Sarah on the 51 census and Benjamin was a witness at Anns first marriage, Just feel they have to fit in somewhere

Pete

Pete Report 1 May 2007 09:58

Benjamin Partridge and Mary Bell married in 1837. See FreeBMD Perhaps her marriage cert will say if she was formerly SIMCOX

Belle Ringer

Belle Ringer Report 1 May 2007 09:59

There is a marriage in 1837 which could explain the Bell children: Marriages Dec 1837 ----------------------------- Bell Mary West Bromwich 18 686 <======= CUTLER Elizabeth West Bromwich 18 686 Deans James West Bromwich 18 686 HADLEY Sarah West Bromwich 18 686 HICKMAN Phoebe West Bromwich 18 686 Kaladine Charles West Bromwich 18 686 PAGE Elizabeth West Bromwich 18 686 PARTRIDGE Benjamin West Bromwich 18 686 <======= SHEARGOLD Henry Wst. Bromwich 18 686 Chris

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 1 May 2007 09:59

I have found a marriage: IGI Individual Record FamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index v5.0 British Isles Search Results | Download | Pedigree -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MARY SIMCOX Female Family -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: Christening: Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages: Spouse: WILLIAM BELL Family Marriage: 09 SEP 1822 West Bromwich, Stafford, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I don't know if the date is too early, but it seems a coincidence.

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 1 May 2007 10:06

Fantastic!!! Thank you all sooooo much, time to order certs :)

Pete

Pete Report 1 May 2007 10:08

The marriage details of Mary SIMCOX and William BELL is transcribed and available online http://estone.homestead(.)com/AllSaintsMarriages.html Pete

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 1 May 2007 10:14

The marriage of Mary Simcox and William Bell is also there: WILLIAM BELL, BA otp and MARY SIMCOX, Sp, OTP Witnesses: Joseph Simcox and Ruth Simcox Now you have the family!