Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Annie (Ann) Bengaff nee Hughes 1885 USA

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keith

Keith Report 9 May 2012 17:48

After looking for my nans auntie her name was Annie Hughes for over 5 years i have found her, I know she had gone to the USA but no date, i had know she died in the late 1960s in Long Island ,and she had gone with her aunt as well ,
I found her on a ship sailing from Liverpool to Boston arriving on 19th july 1911 the ship was called Franconia she was travled with her auntie Catherine Rees going to Fall River Mass to a William Ashworth it gives his address as Plymouth ave Fall River,
I know she married and had 2 children a girl called Grace and a boy called John or Jack .
I dont know when she married i think his name was eric i am not shore as my great auntie distroyed all her papers so lost second names .
if any one knows how i can find her in the records of Fall River i would be most greatfull.
Thankyou Jacqui

alviegal

alviegal Report 9 May 2012 18:21

?? Living on Beacon Street.

1920 United States Federal Census about William Ashworth
Name: William Ashworth
Birth Year: abt 1875
Birthplace: England
Home in 1920: Fall River Ward 3, Bristol, Massachusetts
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1906
Relation to Head of House: Brother-in-law
[Boarder]
Marital Status: Married
Father's Birthplace: England
Mother's Birthplace: England
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
John W Robinson 35
Charlotte M Robinson 29 b England
William Ashworth 45 napper in printworks married
Lydia Ashworth 42, weaver in cottonmill married emigrated 1906
Ada Robinson 22 daughter emigrated 1906
[32]

Ada is William and Lydia's daughter. Lydia's maiden name was Wilson and they lived in Burnley, Lancs.
Does any of this have a connection to Annie Hughes?

??

Passenger lists leaving UK 1890-1960
Name: William A ASHWORTH
Date of departure: 23 May 1905
Port of departure: Liverpool
Destination port: Boston
Destination country: USA
Date of Birth: 1876 (calculated from age)
Marital Status: Single
Sex: Male
Notes:
Passenger recorded on: Page 1 of 26

Keith

Keith Report 9 May 2012 18:43

Thanks and have changed the heading to include USA.
William Ashworth was the man that her and her auntie Catherine Rees went to work for.
Cant find her after that, but do know that she had two children, Grace and James. I met Grace, but need to find the marraige to get the second name and anything further?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 9 May 2012 18:46

Just in case it helps find them, the Boston immigration record gives Annie's birthplace as Bootle.

Her aunt Catherine is named as REECE (not Rees) and was born c1862 in Southport.

Keith

Keith Report 9 May 2012 18:56

I know of her living in Southport in 1901 on the census, but had Malpas in Cheshire for her birth?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 9 May 2012 19:00

Yes Keith, it does actually say Malfas !! and Southport as last dwelling.

What are your comments on the spelling? She does appear to be REECE on the English 1901 & 1911.

Keith

Keith Report 9 May 2012 19:08

The Rees I have spelt is on two marriage certificates for her sister Ann, who is my wife,s gr gr grandmother.
Also gives her father,s name as William Rees.
It is Malpas, I know of that area in Cheshire, as Ann was born in Chester, part of that area.
Catherine came to Southport and lived with a vicar and his wife, think that they lived in Linaker Street on the 2902 census.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 9 May 2012 19:18

Keith, the reason I'm quibbling over the spelling is because if we can try to find Catherine then she may lead us to Annie so just want to check.

EDIT: Do you have a rough idea of when Grace might have been born? Can try 1930 census on a first name search.

Keith

Keith Report 9 May 2012 19:44

I honestly dont know, but on the marriage of her mother Anne Rees, that is the way that it is spelt, her father is William Rees.

Annie left England on the 19 Jul 1911 on the ship Franconia, arriving Boston. She never returned to England and married in the USA, have two names...but not sure if the married name. Bengarth and Howser.. Spelling here could be Houser.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 9 May 2012 21:26

Keith, I've had a good rummage and not turning anything up.

Only thing I can think of is if you can find Annie's actually date of birth could try searching death records by that.

mgnv

mgnv Report 10 May 2012 00:33

Using http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1894
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
ASHWORTH William WILSON Lydia Burnley St Alban (St Paul) Preston CE112/3/406

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1897
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
ASHWORTH Ada Burnley East Preston WILSON BUE/1/69

Magnify 4 clicks, then save image
1910 http://archive.org/stream/13thcensus1910po576unit#page/n663/mode/1up
[addy=176 Eagle St - street name left off this sheet, but is on next]

Keith

Keith Report 12 May 2012 21:10

William isnt the person I am looking for, Catherine and Annie went to work for him, in the US 1920 census they are not with him.
Thanks for sending me the information,

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 May 2012 12:24

Keith, we know William isn't who you're looking for but the two ladies did go to work for him so tracking him might might connect us to Annie and Catherine - that's the way we do things! :-)

Keith

Keith Report 13 May 2012 12:35

Marie, thanks I do understand how you and the others mean here, but have looked on the 1920 and 1930 US census to try and trace them further without success.
In the 9 years from 1911 when she landed, she had worked for them and also married ?? and had two children Grace and James.
The reason that I have no second name for them is that my wife's auntie grace had demetia and burnt all her diares and address books! That is why we only have Bengarth and Howser(Houser) and think they may be a possible married name!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 May 2012 12:37

Keith I checked the 1920 & 1930 census for both those surnames (and variants) and haven't found anything as yet.

Is your wife's aunty Grace a different Grace?

You said you'd met Grace - does anyone know what her surname was? Even if it was her married name it might be something to work back from - her maiden name would obviously be Annie's married name.

Keith

Keith Report 13 May 2012 12:55

Hi Marie
Yes it is a different Grace, Grace is a family name
They were known in the family as auntie grace and cousin grace!
Cousin Grace the US one came to England to stay with auntie Grace when she my wife was 7. She had just married Larry, Bengarth or Howser could actually refer to her. She became a Realtor in either New York or New Jersey and retired to Fort Lauderdale

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 13 May 2012 13:08

Sorry-it's a slow-thinking Sunday for me.....

How do you know she died "in Long Island"? (we usually say "on Long Island" unless referring to Long Island City in Queens.)

Not much help at all!!!!!

Maureen

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 May 2012 13:12

Keith, I'd strongly recommend finding out Annie's date of birth (even if it means ordering her birth certificate).

If we can find a death record for an Annie with the same date of birth then we might get somewhere.

Keith

Keith Report 13 May 2012 13:21

Auntie Grace passed on the information that she had died in Long Island, but that is all we know there!!

The date of birth 16 June 1885in Bootle Cum Linacre, Lancashire, is correct from her baptism records which we have here.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 13 May 2012 13:54

How about:
Social Security Death Index about Annie Bengaff
Name: Annie Bengaff
SSN: 158-16-5703
Last Residence: 11951 Mastic Beach, Suffolk, New York, United States of America
Born: 16 Jun 1885
Died: Feb 1968
State (Year) SSN issued:New Jersey (Before 1951)

Maureen