Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death search?

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 6 Oct 2008 18:23

I have been searching - unsuccessfully for the death of James Colvin known to be alive & well in Falkirk in 1818 date of birth c.1778 Merchant in Calcutta.

All I know is that he was the father of Mary Colvin born Calcutta c.1798.
Mary Colvin married Thomas Gibb in Falkirk in 1818.

I know all about Mary Colvin from 1818 but would appreciate some help finding her fathers or her mothers details.

I believe Mary died between 1861 - 1871 as that is when she dissapears off the census but I don't know where last known adress 3 Meadows, Newington, Edinburgh 1862 death cert of Hubby.. If I could even find her death then I could order the cert which should have more info. I have her husbands death info 1862.

This one is keeping me awake at nights!!

Emma in Spain

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 6 Oct 2008 18:48

couldnt find a death but did find this on igi

IGI Individual Record FamilySearchâ„¢ International Genealogical Index v5.0
Asia
Search Results | Download

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JAMES COLVIN Pedigree
Male Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: MARIA JACKSON Family
Marriage: 26 APR 1802 Calcutta, West Bengal, India

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 6 Oct 2008 19:12

There are also some references to James Colvin on the Brtish Library India Office site. If he was a Merchant, perhaps he left a will?

Emma

Emma Report 6 Oct 2008 19:50

Sorry guys there is a James Colvin of Calcutta who was very famous but try as I might I can't link him with my James Colvin!

I have his daughter Mary's husband Thomas Gibb's will but it just says that he leaves his stuff to his wife Mary Colvin daughter Of James Colvin Merchant in Calcutta residing Falkirk 1818 when his daughter married Thomas Gibb.

I have tried all the usual resources eg. FBIS/british & Edinburgh library/ Edinburgh city archives/ancestry/freeBMD/familysearch/so called experts!!/ Edinburgh newspaper archives.

I'm running out of ideas

HELP!!

Emma in Spain

Running out of ideas

Emma

Emma Report 6 Oct 2008 21:41

n please, anyone............

Quoy

Quoy Report 7 Oct 2008 06:49

Hi Emma
found this on Sam Spades post to Old newspapers

At Calcutta on th 14th Feb last Sir R D Colquhoun of Tilly Colquhoun Bart to Anna Maria second daughter of Mr. James Colvin esq of Calcutta
Caledonian Mercury 22nd July 1822

There are quite a few referances to James Colvin

Emma

Emma Report 7 Oct 2008 08:08

Thanks Quoy but those ones are THE Colvins lol. They are the ones I would like to prove the link to but.......
looks like me be umble not noble lol

Spent half of yesterday searching through the newspapers (thanx Sam) lol

Emma in Spain

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 7 Oct 2008 08:29

Hi Emma

Who did Mary become when she married??

Tracey

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 7 Oct 2008 08:31

ahhhh.... got her..

This is her marriage?

23/10/1818 COLVIN MARY THOMAS GIBB/FR2582 F Falkirk /STIRLING 479/ 0090 0237

Tracey

Emma

Emma Report 7 Oct 2008 08:36

YUP W/T thats her! Got loads of info from marriage down including 1818 OPR of wedding and husbands 1861 will but.......The death cert elludes me!

Even had a nice person go look in the Glasgow library which has a direct link to the Edinburgh library! They found Thomases death cert but not Mary/Maria's or her father James Colvins!

They were a wealthy family so it seems strange it is so hard to find the certs!!

Thanks for trying

Emma in Spain

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 7 Oct 2008 08:46

Emma

Does his death cert mention her?

Tracey x

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 7 Oct 2008 08:50

what does the 'c' stands for in her name?

has she renamed herself Mary Colvin Gibb??

Tracey

Emma

Emma Report 7 Oct 2008 08:53

All the info I have is...

Thomas died of Asthma over a long period & Polmonary congestion. 06/07/1862. 3 Meadow Place, Edinburgh. Born Dunbar, Haddingtonshire, Scotland. I don't have the cert it was found through the Edinburgh library but the gentleman who looked it up didn't get me a copy.

Emma

Emma

Emma Report 7 Oct 2008 08:54

Yeah Mary Colvin Gibb. Some of her children are Colvin/Gibbs as well and depending which census you look at she is down as Mary or Maria!

Grrrr lol

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 7 Oct 2008 08:57

Emma

If you goto www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk you can download the cert yourself, i've just looked and her name is listed as MARIA Colvin....

Maybe she died as a Maria too?

I'll take a look now.

Tracey x

Emma

Emma Report 7 Oct 2008 09:04

Thanks Tracey!

My hubby has forbidden me from spending anymore money on this one! At least untill Nov! We live in Spain & I have been draining our Scottish bank account between SP & ancestry! Poor hubby saw bank statement and thought somebody in Dundee had got our card details oops! lol

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 7 Oct 2008 09:05

Could this be your Mary??

1871 England Census
about Mary Gibb
Name: Mary Gibb
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1796
Relation: Lodger
Where born: Scotland
Civil Parish: St Andrew Holborn
Ecclesiastical parish: Trinity
County/Island: London

Disability: View Image
Registration district: Holborn

Mary Gibb 75
Richard C Johnson 23
Stephen Marden 46
Mary Ann Sugg 45

Emma

Emma Report 7 Oct 2008 09:15

Hmmmm doubt it, she was born in Calcutta and none of the names match my tree. If she was going to stay with anyone I would guess it would be with 1 of her kids?

Have listed names and marriages that I know of

Eliza + Charles Martin

This is the most probable as Thomas Gibb left all his money to his wife Mary/Maria and if she was dead it was all to go to his son Andrew and Charles Martin son in law?!

Christina + James Wilson
Euphemia
Margaret
Andrew + Jessie Murray
Thomas
Mary + James Brown
Catherine

All Gibbs born Edinburgh

cheers for trying, I'm NOT going to give up on this one NEVER!!!

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 7 Oct 2008 09:20

Well now i think that is her..... and i'll tell you why...

She wouldn't have been the one to fill the form in, the head of house would have been....

...she's there for a reason, however she'll have a Scottish accent... and it's logical to assume she would be born there???

The family she's with doesn't have to be relevant, she's had some money and living by her own means and listed as being no occupation.

Maybe she used his money to get away from the poverty that would have been all around back then in Edinburgh?

The head of house isn't going to know she was born in Calcutta.... unless he asked, but he probably thinks he knows for sure where she was born because of her accent !!!

Gotta love ignorance lol

Tracey

Emma

Emma Report 7 Oct 2008 09:25

YEEHAA!! Just Found Euphemia Gibbs wedding!!!!! Married a William Murray in New York!! lol now that explains why I have 2 murray children born New york on a census with Mary Gibb!