Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Summerton, Sumerton 1809-1842

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 1 Oct 2009 23:06

I have searched. I can not find these people.

Thomas Sumerton married Elizabeth Mansfield 23 Jan 1803 Shoreditch East London - have Banns/Marriage record.
Would like Elisabeth's parents names and her date of birth and death. On the Banns/Marriage info is "witness to marriage Daniel Mansfield".

Two sons Gayton Mansfield Summerton chr 5 Nov 1809 Much Hadham Hertfordshire. GMS married Ann Collingridge nee Hardy and left for Australia on Apoline Sep 1842 for Tasmania and then South Australia.

Does GMS show on the 1841 census with wife Ann.

Second son George Summerton chr Much Hadham Hertfordshire Nov 1812. Found no other information. There are possibilities but how to prove is the problem.

So looking for birth, marriage and death for George. Census info is also a problem because don't know how to identify which George he is.

As I said I have looked. I don't mind if the info I have is duplicated that will cross check what I have.

Thank you in anticipation of your brains and eyesight being bettter than mine!!!

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 Oct 2009 00:11

1841 census - household transcription
Person: SUMERTON, Thomas
Address: Whales Street, Kings Sutton

SUMERTON, Thomas M 70 1771 Northamptonshire VIEW
SUMERTON, George M 25 1816 VIEW
SUMERTON, Eliza F 25 1816 VIEW
SUMERTON, Gayton M 5 1836

Is this the one?

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 Oct 2009 00:20

possible

Person: SUMMERTON, George
Address: Clipston

MORLEY, James M 55 1786 Northamptonshire VIEW
MORLEY, Thomas M 20 1821 Northamptonshire VIEW
SUMMERTON, George M 30 1811 Northamptonshire VIEW
SUMMERTON, Mary F 20 1821 Northamptonshire VIEW
SUMMERTON, Eliza F 0 (8 months) 1841 Northamptonshire

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 Oct 2009 00:25

I guess you have this

ELISABETH MANSFIELD Pedigree
Female Family

Marriages:
Spouse: THOMAS SUMERTON Family
Marriage: 23 JAN 1803 Saint Leonards, Shoreditch, London, England

M040801

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 Oct 2009 00:36

Bad news

No one with Sumerton surname recorded in Much Hadham

Worse news
Lots of unreadable images such as

Person: ???, ???
Address: Green Tye, Much Hadham

???, ??? M 30 1811 Hertfordshire VIEW
???, ??? F 30 1811 Hertfordshire VIEW
???, Thomas M 6 1835 Hertfordshire VIEW
???, ??? F (-) Hertfordshire VIEW
???, Emma F 1 1840 Hertfordshire VIEW

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 Oct 2009 01:01

Are you on Curious Fox?

Summerton , Mansfield, Hardy - Shoreditch
My 4 times GG's Thomas SUMMERTON and Elizabeth nee MANSFIELD married in St Leonards Shoreditch on 23 Jan 1803. Children, Gayton Mansfield SUMMERTON chrd Nov 1809 Much Hadham HRT and Edward SUMMERTON chrd Nov 1812 Much Hadham HRT. Gayton married Ann nee HARDY and emigrated to Tasmania 1842 then to South Australia. Have lines from Australia but need UK!

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 Oct 2009 01:08

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=508f81a12588990603c41755303a9bcc&topic=349341.0

Author Topic: What happened to Mansfield SUMMERTON? (Read 204 times)
ezekiel
RootsChat Extra

'Living in the Land Down Under '

What happened to Mansfield SUMMERTON?

Hello all from a very warm Boxing Day in Adelaide.

I am seeking help in finding what happened to little Mansfield Summerton who was Christened in Shipston On Stour 23 April 1839.
Parents named as Gayton and Ann.
He appeared 1841 UK Census as a 2 year old living with Mother Ann SOMERTON.[sic]
Ann's occupation recorded as 'Shoemaker's wife' but this deleted - maybe as they knew she was not md to Gayton Mansfield SUMMERTON but to Charles COLLINGRIDGE still at that time.

The parents emigrated to Tasmania after their 1842 marriage in Banbury.
I know that the little one was not with them on the ship's list
I have not been able to find a death in the UK for Mansfield.
Can anyone help find what happenede to this wee little one?

--
There's this death in Dec q 1841

SUMMERTON G* Banbury Vol 16 Page 5

Was he baptised Gayton Mansfield like his father?

Kind regards, Arranroots

Hi Aaranroots...
Thanks for the assistance but that little one was Mansfield's 6 year old brother, named Gayton after his father.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 Oct 2009 01:11

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Jun 1842 (>99%)

COLLINGRIDGE Ann Banbury 16 29

TAYLOR Elizabeth Banbury 16 29

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 Oct 2009 01:15

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/LONDON/2004-07/1091238195

Hi Listers,
I am in a quandry as to this couple, my 3x great Grandparents.
Thomas SUMMERTON married Elizabeth MANSFIELD in St Leonards, Shoreditch on
23rd Jan 1803.
Prior to that I know nothing of their parentage, age, birthplace etc...a
complete mystery!!!

HOWEVER...I do know that they had 2 sons,
Gayton Mansfield SUMMERTON - christened in Much Hadham 1809 [ my 2x great
grandfather]
Edward SUMMERTON - - christened in Much Hadham 1812
Apart from their christening, I know Gayton's line from 1842 onwards in
Australia and nothing of Edward.

On the marriage cert of Gayton [shoemaker] to Ann COLLINGRIDGE nee HARDY in
Banbury April 1842,
occupation of Thomas Summerton was recorded as 'gardener'.
Can SKS help me work out where Thomas and Elizabeth hailed from and who
there parent's were etc??? .
I wonder also why they would get married in St Leonards Shoreditch yet have
the boys christened in Much Hadham.Any ideas would be great.
I would be immensely grateful of any help I can get on this family

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 Oct 2009 01:21

Wakey wakey
Time you got up.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 2 Oct 2009 04:03

Oh heavens. I have been out on a shopping expedition with OH. Seeing I'm on holidays thought I would go into the big smoke to the markets.

Had a lovely time.

My apologies for not responding to your posts. ive me a fe minutes to look at what is there and I'll give you a response.

By the way, thaaaaaaank you, thankyou thank you!!!!

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 2 Oct 2009 04:25

OK You clever person. How do you lot do it. I spent hours and hours looking for this pesky mob. So what do we have.

1841 Census Kings Sutton, is what I have been looking for. Note the Gayton name, no one could miss that, poor child!! I have to look at this I think this Gayton may be the grandson. If Thomas is 70, Elizabeth is missing, George and Gayton were Thomas's sons. And Gayton's son was Gayton as well. But they went to Australia in 1842. I need the next step in the chain, some of which I have. Need to clarify this.

Don't know about the other George Summerton family at Clipston. May be related. Will say no connection with reservations at this stage.

I have Thomas and Elisabeth's marriage details. That is where the "witness to mariage Daniel Mansfield" comes from on the Banns certificate.

Curious Fox entry. I am aware of this entry. It is not me but I have communicated with the person concerned. She is also researching the Summerton family and is perched on top of the wobbly brick wall like I am.

I am most intrigued by the Mansfield Summerton rootschat article. I need to go over that very carefully. It will take me a while to decipher the info it contains. At first glance is seems like someone has a few half truths from two families and put them together. There is definitely a connection.

The same goes for the next article I am wondering if the person who posted the Curious Fox message may also have instigated that message.

Well I was a bit sceptical when I put up this new thread having driven myself crazy for a good couple of days. Once again I have been shown that the information is there to be found, it just depends on the level of your research skills. I'm going to stand in a corner facing the wall for ten minutes, my skills need improving.

Thank you for sharing your expertise.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 Oct 2009 08:19

Hi AS

(Formerley Christine aka good fairy of Kimberley Thread)

Gayton is a rare name.
Around 5 on Bmd,
Sumerton is unusual but there are spelling variations.

I just googled Gayton Mansfield Summerton and came up with those.
You will obviously need to check them but they are clues.

There are no omertons left in Much Hadham in the censuses.

It could be worth following the other Gaytons as it could be a family name passed through daughters.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 Oct 2009 08:21

This is the sum of the BMD just using Gayton

Marriages Jun 1842 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMERTON Gayton Banbury 16 29

Births Mar 1854 (>99%)

Shinn Gayton Mildenhall 4a 437

Deaths Mar 1860 (>99%)

Strahan Gayton Liverpool 8b 180

Births Sep 1866 (>99%)

BAYLIS Gayton H Winslow 3a 449

Deaths Sep 1869 (>99%)

Baylis Gayton Humphrey 3 Winslow 3a 336

Births Dec 1875 (>99%)

REDGRAVE Gayton Loddon 4b 205

Births Mar 1877 (>99%)

SMITH Gayton Warwick W. Derby 8b 341

Marriages Sep 1883 (>99%)

SHINN Gayton Mildenhall 4a 917

Births Mar 1884 (>99%)

Flew Gayton Barton R. 6a 94

Births Sep 1910 (99%)

PRICE Gayton E Wandsworth 1d 579

Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse/Age District Vol Page

Marriages Mar 1919 (>99%)

Hughes Gayton C Jones Cardiff 11a 778

Marriages Jun 1919 (>99%)

Butler Gayton Sproston St. Giles 1b 1247
Sparks Gayton C Jones Conway 11b 1124

Births Sep 1922 (>99%)

Taylor Gayton C Thorpe Leicester 7a 415

Births Sep 1926 (>99%)

Summers Gayton J Love Pontypridd 11a 859

Births Mar 1930 (>99%)

Nightingale Gayton Farrar Halifax 9a 507

Deaths Mar 1930 (>99%)

Shinn Gayton 76 Mildenhall 4a 1093

Marriages Jun 1931 (>99%)

Fathers Gayton Thomas Pontypridd 11a 1257

Births Jun 1934 (>99%)

Boneham Gayton R Willey Lutterworth 7a 9

Marriages Jun 1936 (98%)

Price Gayton E Wilson Sheffield 9c 1201

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 Oct 2009 08:25

Aha

Gayton Shinn's mother was Rachel Gayton so it was a surname.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 2 Oct 2009 08:55

I thought I recognised your style my good woman. I said to myself, self, I wonder if that could be, oh no don't be silly.

Now we know that the Mansfield comes from Elizabeth Mansfield, Thomas Summerton's wife. Never thought of the Gayton being a family name.

I have five pages of data I have cut and pasted about the family. I also have another Gayton Mansfield Summerton in Australia who does not appear to have any connectiion to the family I am researching.

I am at the writing it all down point in this research. I must enjoy being driven batty, why can't I have inherited a few Smiths with whom to cope.

By the way I thought the new Parish records might give me the marriage of CEC and MIEK. No such jolly luck. They are still on my personna non grata list of villains.

You know I thank you for your assistance. Off to rest the eyes and the brain before phase two of this mess.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 Oct 2009 09:06

Rest?

I am off to work. Nose to the grindstone stuff.
Might pop in if I get a lunchbreak.

See ya.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 Oct 2009 09:13

Person: GAYTON, George
Address: Village, Much Hadham

GAYTON, George M 25 1816 VIEW
CHURCH, Ann F 35 1806 Hertfordshire VIEW

Interesting

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 Oct 2009 09:15

1851 census - household transcription
Person: GAYTEN, George
Address: Village, Much Hadham

Cost:
You will be charged 3 credits for a transcript and 3 credits for an image, unless you have purchased a subscription for this set of records.

census search results all search results redefine current search
Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth
Year Occupation
Disability Where Born Original
census

GAYTEN, George Head Married M 38 1813 Solicitor & Attorney
Wimbish
Essex VIEW
GAYTEN, Sarah Ann Wife Married F 26 1825 Wife
M Hadham
Hertfordshire VIEW
GAYTEN, Mary Louisa Daughter Unmarried F 3 1848
M Hadham
Hertfordshire VIEW
GAYTEN, George Henry Son Unmarried M 1 1850
M Hadham
Hertfordshire VIEW