Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

JOHN PAYNE JOHNSON DAVIS/JOSEPH GAMBLE

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Flygirl3002

Flygirl3002 Report 1 May 2009 22:32

Hi I am going crazy tracking my fathers side of the family Can someone help me please! My ggfather John Johnson was married to Alice Cole in Folkestone, kent , living at 74 the Bayle in 1901. I got his marraige certificate July 24th 1893 On it his name is John Payne Johnson Davies and now I have become so confused. Johnson is such a common name. He was born in Lutterworth and married in Welford. Also on the certificate I found witness Joseph Gamble Davies (born in Lutterworth) who I think is his brother. and Martha Davies his wife. I could only find John Payne Johnson (Junior ) marraige certificate and in the 1901 census at 74 the bayle folkestone. I cannot find Joseph Gamble after 1871. either.
In 1901 John Payne Johnson (Snr ) if related lived Back Street Lutterworth. There are so many John Johnsons in his area of birth I dont know were to go next..
I searched backwards and found a John Payne Johnson married to Sarah Johnson. I wondered if this could be my great grandfather John Payne's father. He was born in 1842 and I found him in the 1851 thru 1901 census born in Hollowell Northants. Lived at letts Lodge married Sarah Johnson oct - Dec 1863. Lived in Back street Lutterworth 1871 through 1901 census. They had eight children. Joseph Gamble Johnson (c1857)Eliza Johnson(c1862)Julia P Johnson (might stand for Payne?) (c1863) Joseph (c1865) Edward Johnson (1866)William Johnson (1868) Sophia Johnson (1879). Edward was not at Back street during the 1871 census but lived there in 1891 age 25 with Sophia and John Payne (snr) and Sarah Johnson. Hope this is clear enough. My first time posting. Anyway My ggrandfather John Payne Johnson does not appear on the 1871 census. However Joseph Gamble Johnson who is on John Paynes mar. cert 1863 appears to be a part of the family. I am concluding that Josephs mother who had him at approx age 13 may not have been married and maybe gamble is his fathers surname. I cannot figure out where Davies comes from for both John and Joseph, especially as John Payne was still married to Sarah In 1901. It is so confusing. I thought perhaps Julia P and John P could have been twins and he was elsewhere at the time of the census. P standing for Payne. I could be completely on the wrong path. It is not the first time.It is so hard trying to find the birth certificates . If anyone could help I would appreciate it immensely.
Joseph Gamble Johnson was born in Lutterworth, John Payne (Jr) states that he was also born in Lutterworth at birth. He and Alice Nellie Cole both resided in Welford at the time of their marriage. I am also trying to find a son born to John Payne Johnson and Alice Nellie Cole by the name of Harry of Harold (c1894)born in the area of Lutterworth or Welford. All of John Payne Johnson (jnr) and Alice Coles other children were born in Folkestone Kent. All the other children of John Payne Johnson and Sarah Johnson were born in Welford.
John Payne Johnson (snr) (if related) appears in 1851 census aged 9 living with his father Joseph Johnson (c1809) born Spratten and mother Mary Johnson(c1801)born Goddington. At that time they had 3 children and 1 grand child. Mary Ann Eaten Johnson (c1825) born Wold. Eliza Johnson(c1838) born Hollowell . John Payne Johnson (snr)(c1842)born Hollowell and Jane Johnson granddaughter (c1846)Another name is written for the grandchild but iI cannot read it and it has been left out of the written transcription. This could be Mary Ann Eaten Johnsons child not sure. She was unmarried at the time of the census or There could well be other children married and the child was visiting. I have not been able to go any further back.
By 1861 Joseph Johnson was married and lived with Elizabeth Johnson (c1801)a nurse from Cottesbrookeand his unmarried son then 19 John Payne Johnson (snr)( married in 1863 to Sarah Johnson) at 52 High Street Welford Northants. I dont know if Mary died between 1851-1861. I cannot find Mary Johnson after that. either.. Any births deaths marriage , maiden name data on any of these people would be greatly appreciated. I live in Canada and have already spent on incorrect birth certificates for John Johnson. I also found out that some of the records from the leicester area did not go online, so any help would be greatly appreciated.Please! I look forward to a reply

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 1 May 2009 22:44

freebmd
Marriages Sep 1893 (>99%)
Cole Alice Nellie Lutterworth 7a 19
Davies John Payne J Lutterworth 7a 19

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 May 2009 23:08

could I make a suggestion here - can you put some breaks here and there in your posting - it's far too difficult to read!!!!

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 1 May 2009 23:12

I have a headache!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 1 May 2009 23:17

Births Dec 1856 (>99%)
Davis Joseph Gamble Lutterworth 7a 10

Marriages Mar 1887 (99%)
DAVIS Joseph Gamble Lutterworth 7a 17
LEE Martha Lutterworth 7a 17

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 1 May 2009 23:25

Yousay you have some census returns. I am going to post what I can find for reference.

1861 Address: Back Street, Welford
DAVIS, Edward Head Married M 50 1811 Agricultural Labourer & On Canal
Leicestershire
DAVIS, Sophia Wife Married F 45 1816
Leicestershire
DAVIS, Joshua Son M 13 1848 Agricultural Labourer
Welford
Northamptonshire
DAVIS, Hannah Daughter F 11 1850 Tuscan Weaver
Welford
Northamptonshire
DAVIS, John Son M 8 1853 Scholar
Welford
Northamptonshire
DAVIS, George Son M 4 1857 Scholar
Welford
Northamptonshire
DAVIS, Joseph G Grandson M 4 1857 Scholar
Welford
Northamptonshire

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 1 May 2009 23:57

1871 Address: Inn Street, Welford
DAVIS, Edward Head M 66 1805 Leicestershire
DAVIS, Sophia Wife F 55 1816 Leicestershire
DAVIS, George Son M 14 1857 Northamptonshire

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 1 May 2009 23:59

1881 Address: 14, Clara St, Leicester St Mary
DAVIS, Sophia Head Widow F 65 1816 Laundress
Barwell
Leicestershire
MOORE, Richard Boarder Widower M 51 1830 Carter
Ansty
Leicestershire
BOWNESS, William Boarder Widower M 35 1846 Shoe Rivetter
Loughborough
Leicestershire

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 May 2009 00:08

Sorry Falling asleep at the keyboard.
If no one else continues I will come back to this later. Bus few days though,

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 May 2009 00:22

Deaths Mar 1874 (>99%)

Davis Edward 69 Lutterworth 7a 4

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 May 2009 00:32

1891Address: Back Street, Welford, Bittesby
DAVIS, Joseph G Head Married M 31 1860 Farm Labourer
Welford
Northamptonshire
DAVIS, Martha Wife Married F 28 1863
Yelvertoft
Northamptonshire
DAVIS, Daisy J Daughter F 3 1888
Welford
Northamptonshire
DAVIS, Percival Son M 1 1890

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 May 2009 00:41

Births Mar 1888 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAVIS Daisy Jane G Mt. Harbro' 7a 10

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 May 2009 01:14

Births Mar 1890 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Davis Percival Gamble Lutterworth 7a 6

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 May 2009 01:36

1881 Address: Lodge, Little Claybrooke
DAVIS, Joshua Head Widower M 33 1848 Ag Lab
Welford
Northamptonshire
DAVIS, Ada Daughter Single F 13 1868 Scholar
Littleworth
Leicestershire
DAVIS, William Son Single M 11 1870 Scholar
Welford
Northamptonshire
DAVIS, Harry Son Single M 8 1873 Scholar
Welford
Northamptonshire

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 May 2009 01:36

Births Dec 1847 (>99%)

DAVIS Joshua Lutterworth 15 139

Flygirl3002

Flygirl3002 Report 2 May 2009 01:53

Sorry it is so difficult to read. I have only just started on this journey so please bear with me.

You comments are extremely helpful.

I would really like to find the link for John Payne Johnson Davies (Davis) as he is my great grandfather.

Thanks again.

Flygirl3002

Flygirl3002 Report 2 May 2009 02:12

Hi everyone.
I feel really awful about the way I have gone about requesting help. I only started about 6 months ago. I wasnt going to mention this. However given my awful posting I decided it may help clear things up a little. My beloved 21 year old daughter Jemma passed away 16 months ago in a horrendous fire and my darling 28 year old was injured. I felt an incredible need to do this family tree because she died so young and I wanted her life and history to mean something. So please bear with me because some of the information is very foreign to me at the moment. I am a quick study though. Thank you especially to Christine for all your help.
thanks

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 May 2009 10:33

we'll bear with you sweetheart - good for you to be able to come on here in the first place

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 May 2009 11:04

Joseph GAMBLE Head M Male 30 Lutterworth, Leicester, England Bricklayes Labourer Unemployed
Edith F. GAMBLE Daur Female 1 Birmingham, Warwick, England
Sarah Ann EVANS Boarder M Female 25 Birmingham, Warwick, England Charwoman
Beatrice E. EVANS Boarder Female 4 Birmingham, Warwick, England Scholar

Source Information:
Dwelling 2 - 5 Court 22 Barford T South
Census Place Birmingham, Warwick, England
Family History Library Film 1341713
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 2982 / 61
Page Number 5

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 May 2009 12:43

A quick look in my lunch break.

How terrible for you. I cannot imagine what you are going through.

I hope this gives you a sense of her place in the family and where she came from. I think a loved one's death is a starting point for many on this journey.

Just so you know I am working slowly person by person though this.It will be a slow process and then we will find a eureka moment.

He has a name composed of surnames ( common ones at that) so it is not going to be easy.He may have switched them around as well. Sometimes it may mean illegitamacy. Sometimes though, especially in Scotland, childen were given the surnames of grandparents as middle names.
I have started with Joseph because his name was more distinctive.

Hopefully you can learn how to do some of his yourself. Google freebmd Homepage and have a fiddle around. You never know what you might come up with. It is like a giant jigsaw puzzle fitting the info together.

Ann of Green Gables

I only have find my past at present so 1851 and 1901 censuses are not yet coomplete. I do not have Ancestry at present. It would be great if you could look at those for us. Thank you.