Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What happenned to Gt.Gt.Gt.Grandma?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 18 Nov 2007 13:23

My 3 x Gt.Grandmother, Hannah Cullip (born c 1785) married William Saywell in Croxton, Cambs., on 30.1.1809. If my research is correct, William died in 1811.

I can't find a re-marriage for Hannah Saywell or a Death. Nor can I find her on the Census.

She must have gone somewhere - anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

M. Steer

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Nov 2007 13:28

she was only a young woman when her hubby died chances are she remarried.

As you sre descended from her take it she had a child by williamhave you looked for him/her on any census

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`)

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`) Report 18 Nov 2007 13:29

Hi, Margaret,

Could this be what you are looking for?

Ann Cullip - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Marriage: 28 JUN 1827 Hardwick, Cambridge, England

She married Robert Newman.

Lindy

Margaret

Margaret Report 18 Nov 2007 13:45

Shirley, yes she did have a child, (just the one) my Gt.Gt.Grandfather - the same year her husband died. I would presume that she did remarry but I can't find a record of it.

Lindy, I too found the marriage of Ann Cullip in 1827 but Hannah (was then a Saywell).

Thankyou both for your time.

Margaret

Margaret Report 18 Nov 2007 14:52

Goodness! Not only have I lost Gt.Gt.Gt.Grandma but her son has vanished too.

I thought I'd double check the Census for her son (in the hope that she may be with him). He only appears on the 1881 Census (aged 70) and living with his own son.

Where on earth could they both have been for the preceeding 70 yrs?

What started off as a 'niggling loose end' has now become another 'brick wall'.

M. Steer

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`)

(`•¿•`) Loopy § Lady Ŀindy (`•¿-`) Report 18 Nov 2007 17:22

Hi, Margaret,

I have found that when re-marrying, most women used their maiden name and not the name from their first marriage. And it depends on who gave the information to the Clerk who wrote out the document, whether Hannah is Ann or not. She may have been called Ann by her second husband.

Maybe, she didn't tell her new husband about the child??? Or, maybe, she waited until the child was old enough to do his own thing?

It might be best to try to get the paperwork to include or exclude the options.

Hope you find them.
Lindy.

Penny

Penny Report 18 Nov 2007 17:42

I have found quite the opposite - and correctly they should remarry in their previous married name

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 18 Nov 2007 18:39

Hello Margaret,
is the son named James?...
1841, looks to have him down as Taywell, with wife Charlotte, in Croxton.

Chris :)

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 18 Nov 2007 19:29

Can't find anything in Cambridgeshire. Could she have moved?
This is from family search website:

HANNAH SAYWELL
Marriages:
Spouse: JAMES NORMAN Family
Marriage: 26 JAN 1832 Saint Mary, Leicester, Leicester, England

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 18 Nov 2007 19:30

or earlier

HANNAH SAYWELL
Marriages:
Spouse: JOHN RULE
Marriage: 23 NOV 1818 Saint Margaret, Rochester, Kent, England

Susan

Susan Report 18 Nov 2007 19:41

I think this is the scenario.

In 1841 with James and Charlotte Saywell, in the same household, there is a William and Hannah Brown, aged 55yrs and 50yrs.

I found the following marriage on Boyds marriage index.

1819 / BROWN WM / SEWELL HAN / ELTISLEY / CAMBRIDGESHIRE

Am wondering if Saywell has been mistaken for Sewell. A look at this marriage in the parish registers would tell if this Hannah was a widow.

Chris Ho :) Report 18 Nov 2007 19:48

Hello Bascat,
yes, James and Charlotte look to be Sewell, on all other Census in Croxton. As you say, a William and Hannah Brown are also with them on 1841, also on 1851.

Susan

Susan Report 18 Nov 2007 19:52

Saywell/Sewell, if you say it quick it would sound the same, considering the accents in Cambridgeshire.

Chris Ho :) Report 18 Nov 2007 19:57

There is a death for a William Brown, Caxton, 1856,
a Hannah Brown 1861, Cambridge.

Susan

Susan Report 18 Nov 2007 20:04

From NBI

Hannah BROWN Date 10 Apr 1861 Age 72 Residence of Malcolm Street Notes – Yard Cambridge, Holy Trinity CAM

Chris Ho :) Report 18 Nov 2007 20:18

Found on Camdex, (B M D,s for Cambs.)
Deaths,

Brown Hannah, 1856, age 74. Caxton.

Brown William, 1856, age 75. Caxton

Brown William, 1856, age 70. Caxton

Margaret

Margaret Report 18 Nov 2007 20:56

Thankyou all for your replies.

You've all given me so much to think about. Anything is possible. I need some time to think.

M. Steer

Margaret

Margaret Report 19 Nov 2007 14:29

Thankyou all SO very much.

Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees.

Selena, I don't think either of the two Hannah's you found are mine - there are a number of Saywells in the Leics., and Kent areas - but all of mine seem to come from Cambs/Hunts.

Chris, yes James & Charlotte are my Gt.Gt.Grandparents - it's definitely them.

Bascat, I feel certain the marriage you found is my Hannah - I have both Saywells and Sewells in my family line (all from the same area) and they often get 'mixed up'.

So it looks like Hannah re-married and became Mrs. Brown (what a name to contend with!)

Thanks again,

M. Steer

Susan

Susan Report 19 Nov 2007 15:33

Hi Margaret

I looked at the Camdex website to see if the Browns had any children. There appears to be a John baptised 1820 in Eltisley, but I can't identify who he might be in 1841, if he lived that is. So a possibility your g.g grandad had a half brother.

Margaret

Margaret Report 19 Nov 2007 16:58

Thanks Bascat,

This isn't going to be easy (as if anything ever is) with a name like Brown.

I have the Baptism, Marriage & Burial Indices for Cambridgeshire but can't find a marriage for Hannah and William Brown. Not that that surprises me, for the most part, they've been worse than useless.

You said you found a Baptism for John Brown (1820) on Camdex. I use Camdex quite a lot and have found it invaluable but I've never been able to find anything pre-1837. I'm obviously missing something! How did you get a record for 1820?

I'll scrutinise the 1841 Census for John Brown in Eltisley and see if any other names 'ring a bell'.

M. Steer