Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have we become a whispering site?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 11 Sep 2007 21:52

When I need a break from my tree research I like nothing more than to try and help others that get stuck.

Other regulars do the same and it's good fun trying to solve a problem TOGETHER!

but!......

Now we have members that come into a thread and type in..... "I have sent you a PM"

That kills the thread completly! and it really does my head in.

OK moan over....till the next time lol

I hope these 'whisperers' see this. Nameing no names! lol

Gerri x

Julie

Julie Report 11 Sep 2007 21:59

Hi Gerri

Funny you should mention it, but the same think happen to me today.

I agree it does take the fun out of it

Julie

JEH123

JEH123 Report 11 Sep 2007 22:02

Forgive me for being a bit thick but what does PM mean? I've seen it written many times but just don't know what it is except to guess its an email.

Janet

Julie

Julie Report 11 Sep 2007 22:06

Hi Janet

A PM is a Personal Message, that you send by clicking on someones name

MellieMob

MellieMob Report 11 Sep 2007 22:38

sorry to jump in, but i totally agree. i'm not as fast as some on here so by the time i've found things and posted them, i look and i miss a whole conversation, and all the jokes then all you get is "yeh i know sooonso pm'd me so i already have that info"
and you think why do i bother.
my moan over now
thanks for letting me moan

Peter

Peter Report 11 Sep 2007 23:31

Gerri,

I entirely agree: this is a public forum and it is good to follow an open discussion through to the end. Similarly with threads that ask for advice or suggestions I feel that the original poster should tell what in the end they have decided or found out. Even eavesdroppers need closure.

MellieMob

MellieMob Report 11 Sep 2007 23:36

o.k for living people thats fine, but then put on there i have pm'd you as i think this a living person (i'm not having a go at you ) i am agreeing with you, but again i'm one that if i've spent the best part of the night helpking someone I NEED TO KNOW THE OUT COME.
i think i'm mad lol

MellieMob

MellieMob Report 11 Sep 2007 23:44

i had one yesterday found out everythink for her sat through all the pages, page by page 1003 to be exact and i still dont know if they have seen it.
ahhh at everyone who doesn't reply

MellieMob

MellieMob Report 11 Sep 2007 23:52

i never thought of that you know i might go and do that now
or is that just mean?
ha ha he he lol

MellieMob

MellieMob Report 11 Sep 2007 23:57

yeh after all if they don't want to pay for the subs and we sit there wasting our time..........
lets
and see if they notice ha ha
your so rottern (must be the welsh in us) lol

Thelma

Thelma Report 12 Sep 2007 00:07

gerri

have sent you a pm

MellieMob

MellieMob Report 12 Sep 2007 00:11

oh you **********
lol

Steph

Steph Report 12 Sep 2007 00:39

Hi Gerri,
Just read this message.

Hope you don't think I'm one of the 'whisperers'.
I'm like Claire I've either sent a pm because I think they could be living relations or the thread has just become me and the original poster and the thread is just getting ridiculously long.

I do agree that it would be nice to know what happens. There are some very nice people on here though who do take the time to update the thread or pm you and tell you.

Are you the phantom thread deleters that seem to be around???

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 12 Sep 2007 01:36

Jim in So'ton

You little devil you!..No you diddnt LOL
---------------

Steph

Re....
Are you the phantom thread deleters that seem to be around???

Steph
Theres NO WAY! I could delete a thread I have spent hours researching for someone!

Sometimes when theres no reply on the thread and i have done alot of work on it, I will also copy n paste the answers to a PM myself. When theres no 'thankyou' I must admit i feel mad!
A quick 'Thankyou' doesnt cost much!

Just recently I spent hours! checking through all 4 quarters of about 15 years and found all the children she was looking for with correct MMN....not a flippin word back! Rude or what? Ho hum...

As for PM ing about a possible living rellie....I agree thats the correct thing to do but this isnt what my original moan was about.

I get the same great feeling for solving a problem for someone else as I do in finding one of my own!

......and breathe.....

Dont ya just love this infuriating hobby? LOL

Gerri xx Nighty night everyone x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 12 Sep 2007 01:51

...And another thing!.........(I havent gone to bed yet lol)

Sometimes I get a PM saying.....

"Thanks for your help but do you know who the father was?".....

who? when? where? This might be 6 months or so after I tried to help them! LOL

...going...going.......GONE! x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 12 Sep 2007 01:56

..and another thing! (still 'ere!)

The MOST annoying thing is.......

A question something like this......

I cant find John. He is my Mothers sisters auntys Uncles Grandfather. He died!
I cant find his birth.

...really really going now.....Zzzzzzzzzz

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Sep 2007 06:05

It seems that some people don't think they should put information from sites such as ancestry, or even freebmd, on here ............ so they send a pm with the information!!

I figure that if we are using those sites for personal use/research then we can do what we want with it ..................... and helping "friends" comes under that heading as long as we are not receiving payment of any kind. So I believe that it is still ok to c&p the information on, eg a census, on to here.

Sylvia

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 12 Sep 2007 13:09

Sylvia in Canada

It seems reasonable to share info with friends - but it would probably be worth your while to check the T&C on the sites such as Ancestry to make sure that they would agree, and to be aware of the penalties if they don't. That way you'll know what risks you are running.

Christine

JEH123

JEH123 Report 12 Sep 2007 16:47

Julie thank you for explaining what PM means. I'm no longer in the dark.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Sep 2007 20:05

Christine,

I believe this to be the relevant portion of the T&C, my capitilization of certain words:-

You are licensed to use the Content ONLY FOR PERSONAL OR PROFESSIONAL FAMILY HISTORY RESEARCH, and may download Content only as search results RELEVANT to that research. The download of the whole or material parts of any work or database is prohibited. Resale of a work or database or portion thereof, EXCEPT AS SPECIFIC RESULTS RELEVANT to SPECIFIC RESEARCH for an INDIVIDUAL, is prohibited. Online or other republication of Content is prohibited EXCEPT AS UNIQUE DATA ELEMENTS that are part of a UNIQUE family history or genealogy. Violation of this limited use licence may result in immediate termination of your membership and may result in legal action against you. You may use the software provided on the Service only while online and may not download, copy, reuse or distribute that software, except where it is clearly stated in connection with software that it is made available for offline use, and a licence for such use is provided in connection with that software.

As far as I understand, I take extracts from a census or other document, and pass them onto other individuals on here, making changes, such as removing unnecessary parts of the document or adding information from the actual image.

Note that the T&C does indeed contain the word PROFESSIONAL research ....... which means research done for payment!

Sylvia