Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has anyone found thier related to noblemen or the

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 4 Jul 2003 13:26

Hi Was just wondering, if, throught thier search, anyone has found that they are of noble descent? Or related to anyone famous?

Gary

Gary Report 4 Jul 2003 13:41

When I was a kid ( more years ago than I want to remember) I always wanted to search my family history to see if I was descended from someone noble. Now having established that I come from a long line of Agricultual Labourers I find this fascinating. In fact the more common the better and I have now developed an interest in everything Victorian! Its also interesting putting together stories of what happened between censuses and sometimes prooving them. Gary Up the Commoners!!

Lisa

Lisa Report 4 Jul 2003 13:43

I come from a long long line of coal miners, on both sides of my family. No one of any noble descent as yet!

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jul 2003 14:37

My kids, through their Mother's line, are descended from the brother of the first Baron Tenterden. I am still trying to find a link with Baron Heron of Ford Castle, (Nothumberland?) as my Dad's Mum was a Heron. Mind you she always claimed descendancy from Hereward the Wake. Jim

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jul 2003 15:58

My husband has an ancestor who was the Lord Chief Justice of England at the time of Queen Elizabeth the First. He was one of the chaps who signed the death warrant for Mary Queen of Scots - who was born in a town called Linlithgow. Hmmmm and guess what - so was I lol - has lead to some hilarious moments here I can tell you!

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 4 Jul 2003 16:04

Yes, geneaology can be very humbling. My mother always led me to believe we had Russian royalty somewhere but I'm still looking for that Romanov connection! Instead I've found carters, lamplighters and labourers with most of my certificates positively spangled with crosses. But I've enjoyed the whole experience enormously and feel very attached to 'my people' whatever they were.

BrianW

BrianW Report 4 Jul 2003 16:05

Family hearsay was that my mother was descended from Lady Hamilton, but no Hamiltons have come up in my research so far.

Ruth

Ruth Report 4 Jul 2003 16:23

My boyfriend's surname is Noble - I'm trying to get related ;) Apparently he's related to Neville Chamberlain on his mother's side - not sure how much that's one to boast about.

Karen

Karen Report 4 Jul 2003 16:34

My husbands family are supposed to be related to George Stephenson (of The Rocket) His 2nd wife was Elizabeth Hindmarch/sh. I am still trying confirm all the details.

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 4 Jul 2003 17:05

Have discovered the link to Cardinal William Godfrey,he was Archbishop of Liverpool then Westminister.Always knew he was related to my Grandma,but not sure how.Iwas a kid when he died Grandma was upset &Iwent to school and told the teacher my uncle the Pope had died!!! All the family his and mine were Carters, Fish Hawkers and servants

Ginny

Ginny Report 4 Jul 2003 17:19

In Stoke it is not unusual to come from a long line of sagger maker's bottom knockers ! Any other interesting job titles out there?????

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jul 2003 17:37

Virginia, what is a sagger makers bottom knocker? Sounds like something rude!! Diana.

Alison

Alison Report 4 Jul 2003 17:55

A sagger makers bottom knocker was someone involved in pottery casting. I had a grt uncle who was one.I have found an artist who was in the royal academy and his brother was in the 1912 olympics and there is a family story that one of our ancestors was related to a Lord, but I havnt found him yet!!

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 4 Jul 2003 22:59

Hubby's mother reckons she's descended from hanging judge jeffries

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 5 Jul 2003 00:27

Ok, I'm going to put my two pennith worth in! my Gt Uncle played in the 1st world Cup, West Auckland vs Juventus, and we beat 'em!!!!!! except, when they got to Italy there were big banners "Welcome Wolwich Arsenal" as they had only been given "WA" as their opponents! Kim

Chris

Chris Report 5 Jul 2003 00:54

My G,Granddad was George Stephenson only not THE George Stephenson,but he did come from Stockton. Chris

Anne

Anne Report 5 Jul 2003 11:44

My great grandmother, Elizabeth Robertson from Perth, claimed she was descended from Robert the Bruce. I have not started on this line as yetbut shall do soon. Also I once read, that anyone who had ancestors living in this country at the time of the resoration of Charles II, 1660, was related to the Queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anne

Stuart

Stuart Report 6 Jul 2003 00:33

I unearthed a record of the Spillman line of my family that goes back as far as Sir William Espileman, first Lord of Brockenhurst. He was a nobleman and knight around the 1140s.

Martin

Martin Report 6 Jul 2003 00:49

Be very suspicious of any lines that go back to noble families in the IGI. Many are extremely optimistic. MB

Lisa

Lisa Report 8 Jul 2003 11:54

thats why i started to trace my family.. my grandmother told me i was related to the Mansells of Mansell street, london. I have traced my line back to 1533 and im not at all related. My family are mostly agri labourers. 2 of my ancestors were shipped to australia as punishment for stealing & killing 2 phesants on xmas eve. what a punsihment for being hungry.