Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ireland!!

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laurie

Laurie Report 24 Jul 2003 22:28

Hi I'm in a real pickle, trying to get info on my late husbands family who come from southern Ireland. The only problem is I have names but do not know where they were born and where they lived. I know one had a farm right by the sea. Does anyone know where I can get info? I can't use ancestry as you need a credit card, which I don't have. Laurie

Catherine

Catherine Report 25 Jul 2003 01:35

Laurie most Irish names tend to originate from a particular area i.e the name Ryan tends to be mainly found in Tipperary.I am researching my irish ancestors.It is not easy.I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to sign up to ancestry.It does have a considerable amount of info but it doesn't have everything.Try this site RootsWebb.com when you get there scroll down on the left to 'message board' then to surname. .Put in the surname that you are looking for and all message boards containg queries relating to your chosen name will come up. Also try going into 'google' and just putting in the name you want researching-see what comes up.Also try putting'irish family history,you should get some links.By the way which names are you looking for? someone out there may be able to help.Hope this helps regards Catherine

mab

mab Report 25 Jul 2003 08:31

I am trying to find some ELLIOTTs, birthplace given just 'Ireland'. Does anyone know which Irish counties are rich in Elliotts?

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Jul 2003 08:36

I have the same problem. Looking for REILLY and COLLINS and all I know from the censuses is that they were born in Ireland. Like looking for a needle in a haystack! Regards Margaret

Lynne

Lynne Report 25 Jul 2003 13:06

I have the same problem with Duffys and Ford, listed just as Ireland on census. It's so difficult to get info from Ireland that I think I will have to give up on the Irish branches of my tree, at least for now anyway. Lynne

Laurie

Laurie Report 25 Jul 2003 15:43

Hi , Thank you all for your replies. I will give Rootsweb a go, thanks. The surname is Farrelly. I know that it is a popular name in Cavan. Margaret I will have a word with my auntie about Reilly, as she married a Reilly and they have a farm in Ireland. As far as I know her husband came from Ireland. Marian I did find a site that gives you the origin of all surnames and where they are most common, I'll have a look for you tonight to see what I can find. Laurie

Katwin

Katwin Report 25 Jul 2003 15:47

Laurie, Could you please post the website for origins of surnames/birthplaces? I am trying to trace Casey back to Ireland Thanks, Kathy.

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Jul 2003 17:32

Thanks you Laurie, that would be great. My reilly was also a farmer but I'm sure there were thousands! Regards Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Jul 2003 17:32

Thanks you Laurie, that would be great. My reilly was also a farmer but I'm sure there were thousands! Regards Margaret

Jane

Jane Report 25 Jul 2003 18:48

Hi All If you try www.irishroots.net this will list all the Counties along with the most common surnames and in most cases will tell you where the majority of people in the County emigrated to. For those of you with just Ireland on the census try an earlier or later one you may get lucky and find that that they state the County, I did! If your ancestors lived in Ireland and came over to England and married here, and you have a certificate this should state which Church they married in, contact the priest who may let you see (or look up for you himself) the record. I understand that the Catholic church registers quite often state the parish they were born in, which in turn will tell you which County. I have a list of all the parishes, somewhere, if any of you need it. Good luck Jane

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Jul 2003 19:06

Thanks Jane for your help. I will try some of your suggestions. I have stayed away from those lines on my tree as I didn't know enough about them.I would appreciate the list of parishes though. Thanks again regards Margaret

Laurie

Laurie Report 25 Jul 2003 21:40

Marian still looking for you, found out that Elliott originates from Scotland and were first found in Liddesdale and Teviotdale.Marion what year are you looking at? I seems there were over 900 households in Ireland with the surname Elliott between 1848-1864. Kathleen I've been going through this site www(.)youririshroots(.)com I've found it pretty useful. It says the name Casey was first found in County Cork if that's any help. Laurie

mab

mab Report 25 Jul 2003 22:01

Thank you Laurie, I didn't know about the scottish origin. My Rachel Elliott was born in 1852 - 900 households! I think I have a hopeless search for this one.

Laurie

Laurie Report 25 Jul 2003 22:07

Marian, there were 236 households in Fermanagh and 124 in Donegal. These seem to be the main two. I got that off http://scripts(.)ireland(.)com Reilly is most common in County Meath and Cavan. Kathleen, Casey is more common in Longford.

mab

mab Report 25 Jul 2003 22:10

Laurie, thank you very much for looking that up, it narrows me down a bit

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Jul 2003 22:30

Thank you Laurie for your help. I will check that web site. Regards Margaret

Laurie

Laurie Report 25 Jul 2003 22:30

Hi Marian, Don't give up, I don't speak to my in-laws and all the info I have is what my late husband told me. We'll get there in the end. That's the only problem with Ireland it can be a pain unless you are willing to actually go over there. I might have to take a holiday there at the end of the year if I still keep hitting brick walls. Laurie

Laurie

Laurie Report 25 Jul 2003 23:53

Kathleen, What year are you interested in for Casey? I HAVE FOUND A COUPLE ON THE 1901 & 1911 iRISH CENSUS. MARION, Also found some Reilly's. Apparently my uncle comes from Co. Mayo Laurie

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jul 2003 00:01

Thanks Laurie. But my Reilly's were in Scotland by then. Where did you find that information? Regards Margaret

Laurie

Laurie Report 26 Jul 2003 01:00

Hi Margaret, Found a lot of it through the census finder on the links page. I've found 5 Reillys on the Bassetts directory of 1889 in County Tipperary. When you go onto the site you need to click that you want Ireland and a list of counties should come up. If you give me the year I can keep a look out for you. Some info is pre 1889. Laurie