Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ON 1837 but not in GRO???? help!!! I DID PUT DEATH

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2005 14:56

I sent for a death certificate of a Thomas Davies march quarter 1893 Stockport vol 8a page42, as seen on 1837online. I have just received an e-mail from GRO to say they are unable to find him, and they have searched the whole of the march quarter to no avail. I don't understand how this can happen as I thought they were both singing off the same 'hymn sheet'.

The Bag

The Bag Report 27 May 2005 14:59

Fundamental flaw maybe Name: Davies, Thomas Henry Record Type: Deaths Age at death: 0 Quarter: March Year: 1893 District: Stockport County: Cheshire Lancashire Volume: 8a Page: 34 (click to see others on page did you request Thomas ..or Thomas Henry... Jess

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2005 15:08

I have him down as Thomas and found him on 1837 as Thomas, don't think it gave his age, he was born in abt 1855 in Stockport. I think you have helped me before on this one Jess or on who I think is his daughter, Eliza Ann Davies. I sent for both certs at the same time, hers being a birth cert. I found the 0 one before and thought I had cracked it till I saw his age.

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2005 15:13

Thanks for the address Jackie, but if you read my reply to Jess I don't think it is the same Thomas. The family did live in and around Heaton Norris so they were probably related. Gloria

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2005 15:29

I have him in all the censuses including 1891, but he is on his daughters wedding cert as having been disceased and that was in June 1896. So I used up loads of 1837 credits and trawled the intervening years finding him or who I thought was him in 1893, unfortunately the GRO doesn't have him there. Neverless all good fun. I am supposed to be gardening!!! Thanks Gloria

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 27 May 2005 15:58

Gloria Have you 'clicked to see others on page'? Are there any? Presumably, the register you are looking at is a typed one? Considering the difficulty modern transcribers have with the old handwritten registers, it would have been very easy to copy the details from the line above or below or to misread one of the numbers. None of this helps you in the least, but it might offer an explanation as to why the certificate cannot be found.

Kate

Kate Report 27 May 2005 16:08

I hate to break this to you, but FreeBMD has this: Births Mar 1893 ----------------------------------------------------------- Davies Thomas Stockport 8a 42 Could it be you selected 'births' instead of 'deaths' on the 1837 search? Kate.

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2005 16:10

No 'Old Pussycat' it is a hand written one and it was very hard to decipher AND it did me right out of 1837 credits. Thanks for the in-put though. WOW SARAH how do you type so fast, I would have got dizzy doing that lot. Is there a short cut instead of writing down the info and than typing it into a message, have tried to cut and paste but it wont let me. Thanks both Gloria

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2005 16:13

OH WHOOPS, Kate, I do not believe this. I used all those credits as well.!!!!! OH WHOOPS. Gloria xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2005 16:17

Thanks all for trying, I shall now get a rope and hang myself for making such a big mistake. Gloria

Kate

Kate Report 27 May 2005 16:25

Gloria - you can probably guess that I have done something similar before which is why I thought of looking at births! Kate.

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2005 16:28

Sorry, can't reply as I am now swinging around on the end of a rope. I shouldn't joke about this as a guy did just that in one of our out buildings before we came here. I digress, sorry, thanks for your help. Gloria

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 27 May 2005 17:09

Gloria, At least your mistake is easier to do than mine. :-))) I looked for 2 days for Magaret Hermark! now I did feel a plonker!! :-((( Good hunting Kim x

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2005 17:15

Oh I liked that one !!! Now I feel much better.

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2005 17:19

Well Team, I have just re-checked the e-mail GRO sent and I DID PUT DEATH CERTIFICATE, hooray. Still doesn't answer where it has got to but I feel better now. Gloria

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2005 17:43

Hadn't thought he might not be dead Sarah, but you never know at this game. Don't think any on your list is him but haven't checked them all yet. Thanks Gloria

The Bag

The Bag Report 27 May 2005 18:20

Gloria , i missed the point entirely! sorry jess

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2005 19:11

Quite all right Jess, thought I'd made the mistake of ordering the wrong cert, and promptly hung myself !!! Then re-incarnated I decided to double check and found I had ordered the right one and GRO can't find it. Thanks for your input, always welcome. Gloria

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2005 19:17

Gloria, interested in why you space your name out - is it that hit in the '60s ? (By THEM I seem to recall !)

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 May 2005 19:21

YEESSSS written by Van Morrison, sung by Them. Best thing my mother ever did was call me Gloria !!!! Another 60's person I feel you are?