Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ideas on how a child born out of wedlock in early

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 16 Jul 2005 13:37

A family memebr had a child while in service...she was very young...my mother thinks he could have been brought up by a brother...the child died young Any clues on how the child might have been registered? Please email if want more details many thanks JA

Carol

Carol Report 16 Jul 2005 13:40

I think that in this case, the birth would be registered in the mothers name and no father given.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Jul 2005 14:33

Most probably, as Carol says, registered in the mothers maiden name and no father's name given. However if the brother who brought up the child was married, and the young mother was VERY young, there is the possibility that the brother and his wife registered the child as their own, to save the girl's reputation. However this would still mean the surname was the same, although the brother's wife would be named as mother. Kath. x

Annie

Annie Report 16 Jul 2005 15:05

this happened in my hubbys family his uncle was born befor parents married and he carried his mothers maiden name all his life ann xx

Julie

Julie Report 16 Jul 2005 18:01

Hi My grandmother's brother was born(1908) out of wedlock, he was registered with his mothers surname which was the name he used all his life. Although she went to London just before she had him, luckly for me i only found his birth cert due to the fact his name was the only one listed within the 5 year period to which he was born. I wouldn't of ordered it otherwise as the family lived up North. She returned to the North shortly after he was born. She later went on to marry a different man and had my grandmother who took on the married name. Julie

Kim

Kim Report 16 Jul 2005 18:14

I have four children born out of wedlock to my great grandparents. The first was given her mothers name as her surname and the fathers name as a middle name. The second was given the mothers name and then told he had the father's name so when he came to marry no birth was found so his birth was registered again as at the time he had no idea he had been registered under the other name. The third and forth were given the fathers name with no mention of the mothers. There was then another eight children born after the marriage thankfully all given the fathers name. Kim

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 17 Jul 2005 01:17

Thank you for your help. She was young we think, between 13 and 18 which gives me five years of searching. The child was Stanley. My mother thinks he died young She was Elizabieth Allen. Her mother's brother was Bill Kendrick and my mother thinks they looked after the child. They came from Uttoxeter. My mother seems to think Bill Kendrick was a lodge keeper at Ashbourne and that Elizabeth May Allen was in service at Chatsworth House Estate and maybe 'Eastbourne'? Elizabeth May was born in 1893 I think in Uttoxeter. I have fossicked around but cannot seem to locate a Stanley Allen or Kendrick born between 1906 and 1911. Cheers JA

Crista

Crista Report 17 Jul 2005 01:42

JA, Elizabeth was born in the 2nd half of 1893 so don't forget to check 1912 too. Births Sep 1893 Allen Elizabeth May Uttoxeter 6b 366 1901: Name Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island Annie E Allen abt 1875 Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, England Wife Uttoxeter Staffordshire Elizabeth M Allen abt 1894 Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, England Daughter Uttoxeter Staffordshire Florence B Allen abt 1900 Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, England Daughter Uttoxeter Staffordshire Frederick Allen abt 1872 Leek, Staffordshire, England Head Uttoxeter Staffordshire Gladys Allen abt 1895 Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, England Daughter Uttoxeter Staffordshire Crista

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Jul 2005 01:50

The birth could have been registered miles away from Elizabeth's home area, to maintain secrecy. There is a Stanley KENDRICK birth on freebmd, Dec Q. 1905. Is this too early? Can you find out more about his death, and what age, and work backwards to his birth?

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 17 Jul 2005 02:11

Crista and Gwyneth thank you. Crista that looks like the family. The mother was Annie Elizabeth married Frederick Allen 27 December 1892, teh eldest child was Elizabeth so it looks like you have found them Gwyneth, she would only have just been thirteen in December 1905 but it could be it. My mtoher knows nothing other than I have posted. She thought he might have died around the age of 8 or 9 but he memory gets a little mixed at times. Where was Stanley born? Thanks again. This is like looking for a needle in a haystack! SImilar to my Smith family! Gwyneth should you not be in bed. Crista what time in the US? A cold Sunday here and it is 11.11 am Cheers JA JA

Crista

Crista Report 17 Jul 2005 04:46

Hi JA, It's now 8:46 PM here. Bill Kendrick was still in Uttoxeter in 1901. He was a bricklayer's labourer. Name Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island Ellen Campion abt 1848 Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, England Wife Uttoxeter Staffordshire Joseph Campion abt 1835 Kingstone, Staffordshire, England Head Uttoxeter Staffordshire John Kendrick abt 1880 Redware, Staffordshire, England Stepson Uttoxeter Staffordshire William Kendrick abt 1877 Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, England Stepson Uttoxeter Staffordshire His mother had remarried. I think he was actually George William Kendrick and there is a marriage in 1903 for a George William in Ashbourne to either a Lily Wilson or an Elizabeth Harrison. I'd take a guess and say it was Lily because there's a birth for an Elsie Lily Kendrick in 1905. Crista

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 17 Jul 2005 08:35

Crista you are an absolute gem finding this. My great grandmothers father was George Kendrick. Their mother did marry again according to my mother's notes to a Campion so it looks as if you have found them. This is really helpful I have looked at FBMD for Stanley Kendricks and Stanley Allens There is one Allen born in Chesterfield in 1908 and a Kendrick in Warrington in March 1907 I may have to send off fro a few certificates. Thank you again for finding George William Allen - someone else to add to my tree and maybe I will find Stanley for my 88 year old mother - I think he was her half brother. Many thanks again for your generousity JA

Merry

Merry Report 17 Jul 2005 09:38

You said the child (whatever name he was reg as at birth) might well have been brought up as ''Stanley Kendrick'' and died as a child. I searched on Family Relatives between 1905 and 1920 (their records are complete for those years) for a death of Stanley Kendrick. Surprisingly, there was only one death recorded. It's the boy who was born DecQ 1905 and mentioned by Gwyneth earlier. He died the same quarter, so maybe that isn't him?? Here's the death reg: Kendrick Stanley aged 0 Macclesfield.8a 82 Death Q4 1905 So, if your Stanley died before 1920 (I can't search after this date) then he doesn't seem to have died with the name Kendrick. This suggests he must have been using the name Allen (and probably was therefore registered with the same name when he was born, too). I did a search for Stanley Allen's who died 1905-1920 in Staffs and the surrounding counties: There were three: Allen Stanley H aged 1 Birmingham.6d 161 Death Q3 1920 Allen Stanley aged 0 Birmingham.6d 11 Death Q1 1910 Allen Stanley J aged 18 Gloucester.6a 286 Death Q3 1920 Nothing obvious, is there!! Oh, BOTHER!! Sarah

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 17 Jul 2005 09:53

Sarah bless you for looking, and yes bother...nothing seems to fit. I need to ask my mother again when she thought he died. She sent me a photograph found in her Aunt's house when she died at 90 of a young boy around 10 but I wonder is she mixing this up with her cousin Gordon who died around that age. I will try to get more info. Crista found Kendricks. I also found a Kendrick on FBMD born march 1907 Warrington. It looks as if I will have to get a number of certificates to see if I can find a link Once more I do so appreciate you looking...GR people like you Crista and Gwyneth are so nice and helpful I should check the kendrick birth and death in the same quarter? JA

Crista

Crista Report 17 Jul 2005 11:17

Hi JA, Got your message but am unable to reply until Genes fix this ongoing problem. Is it okay if I post any findings on this thread? Crista

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 18 Jul 2005 02:31

Hi Crista It would be fine to post reply on here. I hope you had a good Sunday and that the week brings good things! JA 00xx

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Jul 2005 10:16

Just noticed that there is a One Name Study of 'KENDRICK'. Details of how to contact the researcher are on the Guild of One Name Studies site. Perhaps they can help with this.

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 18 Jul 2005 11:40

Thanks Gwyneth, will have a look at it and get back to you JA

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 19 Jul 2005 01:39

Crista sorry I missed you the other day. Looking forward to hearing from you JA

helenbell

helenbell Report 19 Jul 2005 09:00

My aunt was born in 1899 out of wedlock, she was not given a surname!! her birth certificate just had Mabel Bow