Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Askeyana????

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Jul 2005 14:58

Where on earth does this name come from? I have found this female, as part of my relatives, on every census after she was born (incidentally, name spelled differently on each one). I have no idea where she got her name. Anyone have any ideas?

The Bag

The Bag Report 21 Jul 2005 15:03

have you found what she was registered as? give us some refs for her!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Jul 2005 15:04

Never heard of it Tracy, and neither has Google. Where is she on a census so we can have a look. Kath. x

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Jul 2005 15:27

Thanks guys :) Birth record - Askey Ann Chappell : Birth Mar 1866 Dewsbury 9b 625 1871 - Asquitt Ann Chappell abt 1867 Ossett, Yorkshire, England Daughter Batley Yorkshire 1881 - Askeiana Chappel abt 1867 Ossett, Yorkshire, England _Son_ Halifax Rd, Batley, Yorkshire, England (Why it says Son I have no idea) Marriage - Askeyana Chappell : Marriages Dec 1887 Dewsbury 9b 1075 (to William Lockwood) 1891 - Askeyand Lockwood abt 1867 Ossett, Yorkshire, England Wife Darton Yorkshire 1901 - Askerjana Lockwood abt 1867 Ossett, Yorkshire, England Wife Darton Yorkshire

The Bag

The Bag Report 21 Jul 2005 15:36

whole family 1871 - what was her mothers maiden name? Albert Chappell abt 1863 Ravensthorpe, Yorkshire, England Son Batley Yorkshire Asquitt Ann Chappell abt 1867 Ossett, Yorkshire, England Daughter Batley Yorkshire David Chappell abt 1868 Ossett, Yorkshire, England Son Batley Yorkshire Eli Chappell abt 1840 Ossett, Yorkshire, England Head Batley Yorkshire Emma Chappell abt 1839 Ossett, Yorkshire, England Wife Batley Yorkshire Fred Chappell abt 1869 Ossett, Yorkshire, England Son Batley Yorkshire Joseph Benj Chappell abt 1870 Butley, Yorkshire, England Son Batley Yorkshire Smith Chappell abt 1862 Ravensthorpe, Yorkshire, England Son Batley Yorkshire

The Bag

The Bag Report 21 Jul 2005 15:38

1861 - hopefully got married just before this then Eli Chappell abt 1840 Ossett, Yorkshire, England Head Mirfield Yorkshire Emma Chappell abt 1839 Ossett, Yorkshire, England Wife Mirfield Yorkshire

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Jul 2005 15:38

That's them Jess. I don't know Emmas maiden name yet. I can't find their marriage. Only just added them to my tree today, so I'm jumping ahead again lol

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jul 2005 15:39

Must be some sort of old family name, do you know the names of any earlier relatives that could be jumbled together---just a thought. Gloria

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Jul 2005 15:42

That's what I first though, Gloria, but I have Elis family back to 1700, and there is no other name like this anywhere. Perhaps it's from Emmas side? Think I'll have to trawl for a marriage.

The Bag

The Bag Report 21 Jul 2005 15:42

Just wondering if her mothers maiden name is Askey, her own middle name is Ann..and the two just sort of roll together...

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Jul 2005 15:44

Could be Jess, but I was thinking it would be Smith, given their first childs name. I can't find an Emma Askey in 1851.

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jul 2005 15:50

This is the only marriage for an Eli Chappell I could find on Ancestry in Yorkshire Name Year Quarter Record Type District County Beckett, Robert 1859 September Marriages Barnsley West Riding of Yorkshire Booth, Mary Ann 1859 September Marriages Barnsley West Riding of Yorkshire Chappell, Ali* 1859 September Marriages Barnsley West Riding of Yorkshire Wainwright, Elizabeth 1859 September Marriages Barnsley West Riding of Yorkshire Gloria

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Jul 2005 16:04

Thanks Gloria. I think that guiy is actually Alban. Not one of mine unfortunately. Alban Chapel abt 1840 Barnsley, Yorkshire, England Head Barnsley Yorkshire Elizabeth Chapel abt 1838 Barnsley, Yorkshire, England Wife Barnsley Yorkshire There is another marriage for an Eli Chappel in 1849. He is this Elis cousin.

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jul 2005 16:11

Found the marriage of an Emma Askey, Leeds 1859 not to Eli though, to either Alfred Barron or Patrick Casey. She might have left the first husband and gone off with Eli, and because she never married him (Eli) gave the daughter her maiden name. That doesn't explain why the others don't have that bit in their names unless, she just gave it her being the only daughter. Just found the death of Patrick Casey age 26 Leeds 1866. Interesting Gloria

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Jul 2005 16:11

There is this marriage on 1837online for Eli Chappell:- Sept. qtr. 1860, Dewsbury, 9b, 624 Ossett and Dewsbury are quite close. Kath. x

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Jul 2005 16:14

Kathleen, that could be him! Thank you. It would come under Dewsbury in the GRO. Now all I have to do is find Emma :)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Jul 2005 16:17

Tracy, Your thinking was spot on!! With the same reference as the marriage for Eli in Dewsbury is an Emma Smith. I'd say they were definitely your couple. Kath. x p.s. still doesn't help with your 'Askey' though.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Jul 2005 16:18

Thank you so much for that, Kath :) I was going to look for her after I found their son, Smith's marriages.

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 21 Jul 2005 16:44

Hmm... there's a couple of Asquith Smiths on Ancestry. Perhaps that's where it's from.

The Bag

The Bag Report 21 Jul 2005 16:46

Try giving a copper your name when a bit tiddled if your name is Asquith Smith... I'm struggling stone cold sober!