Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cannot Find a Will - any ideas please!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gigi

Gigi Report 7 Nov 2005 10:55

Hello All, I applied to Exeter Probate for a will of Gibon Rammell died 1866 Crediton & was disapointed when nothing was found! I rang the office to see if I could find out more & was told that not all wills would go through probate & maybe it would be worth searching to see if his widow Fanny Rammell had a will through probate. I am sure there must have been a will at some stage as Gibon was quite well off & his two unmarried daughters received some sort of pension after their parent's death. The eldest son, however, (also called Gibon!) did not seem to inherit anything as his were quite poor! I was hoping to discover some sort of family rift!!! If no probate was required, is it possible to find a will??? Thanks for any thoughts/ideas. Gillian

Pete

Pete Report 7 Nov 2005 11:23

Sadly, not an answer to your question but an observation. Documents online has a Will for someone of that name from 1842 in Margate. His father perhaps? Description Will of Gibon Rammell, Gentleman of Saint John the Baptist in the Isle of Thanet , Kent Date 31 March 1842 If you've not seen it before it could be £3.50 well spent. Pete

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 7 Nov 2005 12:18

Were you looking for wills proved locally, or wills proved nationally? The Principal Probate Registry has an index for the entire country, but I am not sure that that is necessarily true for the provincial offices. Also, wills are not necessarily proved at date of death. I have found administration granted for one relative TWENTY YEARS after she had died. It would be worth your while to check the indexes for yourself, as the money may have come from an elderly uncle. In the early period, Administrations are filed in a separate series from wills, so are easily overlooked.

Kate

Kate Report 7 Nov 2005 12:21

I was certain my g-g-g-grandfather must have left a will as he had 14 children and owned a fairly large business and was in his 80's when he died, and his children seemed to be fairly well off after his death, but I have searched the National Probate Calendar with a fine-tooth comb (and York have searched too), and there is nothing! I have come to the conclusion that he managed to give everything away before his death to avoid death duties (he doesn't appear in the Death Duties Register either), and so there was no need for a will, at least not for probate/ administration. Oh, there's an idea! Death Duties Register.... back in a few minutes... Kate.

Gigi

Gigi Report 7 Nov 2005 12:29

Hi Pete, Thanks for your reply. The Gibon you have found was indeed my Gibon's father. I have a copy of his will. Gillian

Kate

Kate Report 7 Nov 2005 12:30

No, can't find him in the Death Duties Register for 1866, but I suppose he could be in the following year. Anyway, I agree you would be best to go and search through the National Probate Calendar yourself, but let me know if you can't get to anywhere that holds it (e.g. record offices, probate offices) and I will have a look next time I go to the record office. The thing is, though, if you are looking for your own rellies you don't give up as quickly as if you are looking for somebody else's! Kate.

Gigi

Gigi Report 7 Nov 2005 12:31

Hi Abbess, When I spoke to the Exeter office, they said that the index is national. As Gibon originally came from Kent & was buried there, I did wonder if the records were there instead. The lady at the Exeter office assured me that the search would have found him anywhere in the UK. Thanks, Gillian

Gigi

Gigi Report 7 Nov 2005 12:32

Hi Kate, Death Duty Registers??? Sounds interesting. How do I search them?? Gillian

Gigi

Gigi Report 7 Nov 2005 12:37

Hi again Kate, Thanks for looking at the death duty register. Where is it??? I live in France & have two young children so cannot easily get to any record office in the UK!! I would really appreciate your kind offer if you have the time to spare! What info do you need from me? Thanks, Gillian

Kate

Kate Report 7 Nov 2005 12:40

Gillian - the Death Duties Register Index is on the 'National Archivist' website. http://www.nationalarchivist d o t c o m You have to buy credits. I had a look at 1867 on there and he wasn't there either. All I really need to search on the National Probate Calendar in this case is what you have already posted up, because he had such a rare name. If he was called John Smith I would want the date of his death, his address, occupation, and the names of his wife and children! I will certainly have a look the next time I go to the record office, and will let you know if I find anything. Do you happen to know which years they searched at Exeter? Kate.

Gigi

Gigi Report 7 Nov 2005 14:17

Hi Kate, Exeter searched 1866-69. Gibon died 21st Jan 1866 Crediton but was buried in Margate Kent. His occupation was Gentleman! I think his wife Fanny Rammell died in 1880 Barnstaple, Devon. She was living in Crediton in 1871. Thanks again for the lookup offer!!! Regards, Gillian

Val

Val Report 7 Nov 2005 19:29

I can look and see if wife left a will if you want

Gigi

Gigi Report 7 Nov 2005 19:33

Hi Val, That would be great! Many thanks, Gillian

Pete

Pete Report 7 Nov 2005 19:41

If it's any help the wife DID have a Will. Exeter 1880. Folio 621 Pete

Gigi

Gigi Report 7 Nov 2005 19:45

Pete you're a star!!! How do I get a copy?? Gillian

Val

Val Report 7 Nov 2005 22:30

If I go in to the office I can write what it says and if you want a copy it costs a £5 you can send me the money and your address and I will get it sent to you

Gigi

Gigi Report 8 Nov 2005 09:17

Hi Val, Thanks for the offer but I can get it by post. I ran the Exeter office and the lady there checked the reference & a will for Fanny does exist. Thanks for your help & kind offer. Gillian

Val

Val Report 8 Nov 2005 09:47

Ok Gillian I am glad Exeter office can get it for you as they have all the wills for England and Wales

Kate

Kate Report 8 Nov 2005 13:47

Found him! 1875 RAMMELL Gibbon Bushell Effects under £50. 27 April. Administration of the effects of Gibbon Bushell Rammell late of Crediton in the County of Devon Gentleman who died 13 January 1866 at Crediton was granted at the Principal Registry to Fanny Rammell of 6 Market-street Crediton Widow the Relict. Fanny's entry: 1880 RAMMELL, Fanny Personal Estate under £2,000. 25 March. Administration (with the Will) of the Personal Estate of Fanny Rammell late of Crediton in the County of Devon Widow who died 9 January 1880 at Ilfracombe in the said County was granted at Exeter to James Rammell of Crediton Gentleman the Son one of the Residuary Legatees. So, looks like Fanny was the one with the money! Is it possible that the eldest son Gib(b)on was not her son but the son of a first wife? Or perhaps she just wanted to make sure her daughters were provided for and thought the sons could look after themselves. Anyway, I expect it will all be explained when you get her will. Kate.

Gigi

Gigi Report 8 Nov 2005 14:02

Thank you very much Kate! I wonder why it took so long to sort out Gibon's affairs as he died in 1866? Thank you once again, Gillian