Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Request Threads on both boards{ Plans to buy up G

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 7 Jan 2006 10:02

Please dont put you thread on both boards as you are wasting peoples time and money. regards June

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2006 13:04

Plus you will have to check 2 threads instead of one, which is timewasting for the poster and confusing. I think both boards get seen by everyone, so don't worry that your request will be missed. nell

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Jan 2006 14:19

June, could you clarify by putting 'request' before threads. Sometimes people legitimately put information threads on all board but I don't think you mean those do you? Ann Glos

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 7 Jan 2006 14:52

June, you are quite right but I'm not sure that everybody understands what should go on each of the THREE boards. My understanding is 1. The TIPS BOARD is for questions/answers/suggestions about sources, techniques, etc and problems about systems rather than people. 2. The RECORDS OFFICE board is for members offereing or seeking lookups and searches. Sometimes the answers may actually provide a few tips - but that is a bonus. What is not clear is the use of the TRYING TO FIND board. It obviously should be used to find living people, but a lot of the requests seem to be for information - that should really be on the RECORDS OFFICE board. The notes on the page for this board do not make that clear. The great advantage of this board is that it is easily found when searching by surname. However, if people just want information, it is even more wasteful than requests put on both the other boards, because you can not see if anybody has responded, and if so, what they found. Not sure how this should be resolved - perhaps the top of the page needs a rewording. Personally, I find some of those requests more challenging, but it would help if they were on the RECORDS OFFICE BOARD. So how do we get this sorted out? Any suggestions? Jim

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 7 Jan 2006 18:59

Well, when I win the lottery and buy GR, I shall change the Boards to the following formats: Ditch the Success Board. General Board - sociable chit-chat, nothing really to do with genealogy - sub-board for birthdays, anniversaries etc. LOOKUPS Board - census, bmds, records offices etc. PERMANENT GENEALOGICAL INFORMATION such as dates of census, useful websites, dates of Wars - all that sort of stuff. Can be added to, but not deleted. TRYING TO FIND LIVING PEOPLE (sorted daily into Alphabetical order) TRYING TO FIND DEAD PEOPLE (sorted daily into Alphabetical order, and without the fussy subdivisions that we have now) Warming to my theme, when I own GR, you will be able to click on a Poster's name and find out the last time they logged into the site. HOT MATCHES will be ranked, with those matching on more than just a name ranking higher than Ann Bell born unknown in year unknown. GENEALOGICAL QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS I hope this meets with your approval - I shall let you know well in advance of my purchase of GR. Olde Crone

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 7 Jan 2006 20:05

OOOOH, Olde Crone - I hope you win it soon!! Jay

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2006 20:40

Olde Crone Thats Briliant!! In fact, it's perfect! GR - I HOPE YOU HAVE READ OLE CRONE'S IDEAS AND TAKING NOTE!! Bev x

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 7 Jan 2006 20:51

Old Crone, looking forward to your take over. When you do, I would like to suggest an improvement to my Tree Matches. I nstead of John Smith, blank place, blank year, can I have John Smith, possibly London, possibly 1850-1870. Can this be enforced. Moan over (sorry) Selena

Sue

Sue Report 7 Jan 2006 22:13

Olde Crone, It sounds wonderful, can we have a whip round to help you on your way to this purchase? Please? Suex

Merry

Merry Report 7 Jan 2006 22:20

Sue, I think you should be in charge of the collecting tin....Here's 50p to start the ball rolling.............. If June was to change the title of this thread to ''Plans to buy up GR'' then someone on the GR team might read the thread and get to see some of our ideas for improvements (of course, if they took up any of our ideas, then would make the site more expensive for Olde Crone to buy.........but, just in case she doesn't win the lottery.............) Could we please have a way of alowing only partial access to our trees.........Ancestor of X or descendant of Y would be a good start. Merry

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 7 Jan 2006 22:49

Arthur Sadly, having permission to view someone else's tree is NOT a foolproof way of identifying your related family contacts. I currently have permission to view over 30 trees - none are connected to mine in any way whatsoever and I do not remember ever having any contact with these people. I suspect this is something to do with HOT MATCHES - most people using the automated replies forget to 'untick' the box. Or it may be to do with the mightmare time when we had to untick the box to allow contacts to view, and tick it to disallow....or was it the other way round? I have filed all your requests for improvements and given them to my PA. I too would like to see Hot Matches ranked in some way - perhaps matching the year of birth might be a good start? John Green born in Yarrawonga in 1975 might conceivably be something to do with me, but as I dont have anyone in my tree born after 1900, except myself, I fail to see how we are connected. I would also like to see, at a glance, who 'You have already contacted this person' really is - is it my distant relation Jenny, going under a new board name of Snagglepuss or what? Olde Crone

Sue

Sue Report 7 Jan 2006 23:44

This tin isn't making much noise at the mo, 50p from Merry isn't going far! I've also got access to so many trees of people I'm not related to. I'm with you on all the sugestions so far, If we ever need a vote, count me in! Suex

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 7 Jan 2006 23:49

how wonderful but can I please add ,when we put a website down for someone we dont have to put it in brackets, I seem to always put them in the wrong place

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jan 2006 23:54

Count me in too Olde Crone. All your suggestions are just what GR (or better still GC) should be looking at doing. As it's a Saturday superdraw on the lottery tonight, I hope you've won. Maybe we'll also get free access to the new Olde Crone site. GR take note - the takeover bid has started!!! Kath. x

Horatia

Horatia Report 8 Jan 2006 00:53

Olde Crone, Love the suggestions! I'll throw a tenner in the collecting tin. I was going to spend it on a much desired old postcard on E-Bay, but I think GR or GC (!) being set up properly is far more important! If I won the lottery I too would ditch the success board; but I have a feeling this will be the one board GR themselves will keep - mainly because now it belongs to ITV they may be looking for stories to feature on TV. They probably have a full time researcher reading all those threads every day! Must get a bit boring after reading the first six threads!!! (Tee-Hee)! Yes, love Olde Crones new suggested boards format, especially breaking up 'looking for dead people' and 'looking for living people' (there is quite a difference) as any medical student will tell you! ;-) Olde Crone for MD of Genes!!!! Cheers, Horatia

June

June Report 8 Jan 2006 11:39

Old Crone i agree with you hurry up and win the lottery as your suggestions sound good. Merry changed the title for you + Ann hope you like it lol here is a tenner for tin Sue regards June

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 8 Jan 2006 12:04

Oh, great idea Olde Crone. I am sad that the collecting tin is taking so long to fill, and have little trust in the National Lottery as I am convinced that it is fixed. (Have you noticed how often a roll-over coincides with a holiday when people may be more inclined to shell out?). However, that's another thread completely, to return to the problem in hand. Perhaps we could go in for a bit of fund-raising? For starters, perhaps the erstwhile christmas party-goers at Olde Crone's could get themselves on the Big Brother house - all together? Or maybe we could resussitate the red tinsel g-strings and start a dancing troupe (a la the Roly-Polies - anyone remember them?). By the way Olde Crone, I have a complaint to make about our reception at christmas. Since you have now revealed that you have a PA, I fail to understand why she/he could not have been put in charge of reception and organised our arrival and stay a little better. That shed leaked, and the sanitary arrangements were - how can I put it - a little basic, especially given the lack of control most of the party-goers suffer from! Tina

June

June Report 8 Jan 2006 19:40

Its happened again a thread on both boards please stop doing it. June

Joy

Joy Report 8 Jan 2006 22:11

Please, aunty Marj, can it be ''GC'' again for us to connect hopefully, and, please, may we have even more fun threads on tips without the fear of Damocles? Thank you. :-) Joy

The Bag

The Bag Report 8 Jan 2006 22:18

I'll Chuck Auntie Crone's collection tin 30 Bob. Gawd, there are time when i think a group of us COULD actually do better than the management do. When you do your buy out Old crone, will you employ me? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese jess