Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do both partners show on the marriage registers?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Roger

Roger Report 10 Jan 2006 20:16

I am reseraching the marriage of my grandparents - circa 1890 I have been using the 1837 online website to view registers. I have found two possibles for my grand mother, however when i try and find my grand father he doesnt appear in the register. This i presume either means that : ive either got the wrong names, or my grand father was missed off the register Should i pay to get the certificates to confirm if he was missed off the register, or are the registers always right? Hoping someone can help

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jan 2006 20:19

I very much doubt if anything is ever 'always right'. Anything involving human beings will involve human error. It's possible your grandfather has been mistranscribed - or even missed off. You can ask for the one for your grandmother, but specify the groom's name as a checking point. Then if it isn't right, you only lose £3 instead of £7 and get a cert you don't want. Alternatively, you could ask the local register office for the district the marriage of your supposed grandmother is indexed in, if they can check. nell

The Bag

The Bag Report 10 Jan 2006 20:19

usually there are an even number of people on a page ( as opposed to an odd number) there is no telling who marrid who~unless you know what you are looking for. tell you what, throw us the names and dates and where abouts and let someone else have a look

Merry

Merry Report 10 Jan 2006 20:20

If you do your search on FreeBMD instead of 1837online (well covered in the 1890's), then you can click on the page number when you have found one partner, to see who the potential spouses are. For the 1890's there should be either one bride and one groom or (more commonly) two brides and two grooms per page and volume number. If you have four names showing (2 male and 2 female, obviously!) then it's unlikely that anything is missing from the transcription or indexes and if you cannot see the ''right'' spouse, then you may be looking at the wrong date/place altogether! Does that make sense? merry

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 10 Jan 2006 21:19

Hi Roger, I can vouch for the fact that sometimes the surname of one of the parties has been written incorrectly in the original register, and obviously this has repercussions for anyone trying to trace the marriage, or for using the 'correct' name as a check. My grandfather appears in the GRO marriage index, but NOT my granny. Luckily, my father had seen the original, before it was posted off to Canada to his younger brother, and had written down the details. My granny was Mary Ann Mc Donough, but the name on the certificate was Mary Ann Mc Donald, so if Dad hadn't had the presence of mind to make a copy, I would still be searching now, 18 years on. Even if I had combed the local record office and gone through PR for each individual church I wouldn't have found it as it was a registry office wedding Jay

Heather

Heather Report 11 Jan 2006 07:57

I have had two wrong entries - Cheel for Cheal and Dickson for Dixon.

Kate

Kate Report 11 Jan 2006 10:44

Roger - what are the names you are looking for? Quite a few times when people have had this sort of query it has turned out that the entry they had found was not the right one and they would have wasted their money ordering the cert. If you post the names up then I expect a few people will search and see if they can come up with a match for both names. Kate.

Roger

Roger Report 11 Jan 2006 20:56

Thanks for all the help so far folks...where should i put the details so helpfuls can have a look! New to this sorry.

Merry

Merry Report 11 Jan 2006 20:57

Just put the details on this thread.....just click Add Reply, like you did just now..... Not that anyone will answer for a while, as I expect everyone will be watching Who Do You Think You Are?? on BBC2 in a mo!!! Merry

Roger

Roger Report 12 Jan 2006 18:36

Thanks The details i have are as follows: Elizabeth Hextall married Frederick Benn. Based on the birth on one of their children was born in 1901 and at this time they were married . Not knowing the year of the marriage i have researched in the registers back to 1885 for an Elizabeth Hextall getting married: There are two listed: Elizabeth Hextall married listed inthe Apr, May, June 1897 register. This Elizabeth was married in Market Bosworth (the right area) and the reference is 7 a 193 The other Elizabeht Hextall married listed in the Jan, Feb, Mar 1899 register. This Elizabeth was married in Ashby Z (again the right area) and the reference is 7 a 143. I have checked the corresponding books for Frederick Benn but there appears to be no match. Should i just purchase copies of the certificates to confirm/disprove or Can anyone help? Thanks

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jan 2006 18:52

Questions! 1) Have you found the couple on the 1901 census?? If yes, can you post the details? 2) What was the birth reg for the child born in 1901? 3) Have you got the 1901 cert and if you have, what was the address for the birth and the date? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jan 2006 19:07

I can't see a Frederick Benn with wife Elizabeth in 1901........ Maybe he/they are mistranscribed........If I knew where their child was born I could look harder!! Merry

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 12 Jan 2006 20:05

this is confusing me! Benn, Mary 1897 September Marriages Market Bosworth Leicestershire HEXTAL, Richard Thomas 1897 September Marriages Market Bosworth Leicestershire but it might help with birth places...or something.... possibly them in 1901 Farrie Hextall abt 1867 Leamington, Warwickshire, England Brother Nuneaton Warwickshire Fred Hextall abt 1900 Nuneaton, Warwickshire, England Son Nuneaton Warwickshire Mary Hextall abt 1869 Sutton Cheney, Leicestershire, England Wife Nuneaton Warwickshire Richd Thos Hextall abt 1868 Wellsborough, Leicestershire, England Head Nuneaton Warwickshire

Roger

Roger Report 12 Jan 2006 21:26

Keep it up folks.... I have the birth certificate for the child: Details are: Childs name 'Frederick William Benn' Registered in Market Bosworth, Sub District Ibstock. Born on 21st September 1901 in The Grange, Ibstock. Fathers name 'Frederick William Benn' Mothers name 'Elizabeth Benn formerly Hextall' registered on1/11/1901 I have not looked for the the child in the 1901 census because i thought the census took place earlier in the year. Thanks again

Roger

Roger Report 12 Jan 2006 21:29

Just an addition to this.. .in section 7 on the birth certiificate ie signature, description and residence of informant the following text is written....'Emma Benn mother The Grange Ibstock' However section 5 of the certificate, ie name and maiden surname of mother the following text appears..'Elizabeth Benn formerly Hextall' Confused??

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 12 Jan 2006 21:33

from 1901 census for Ibstock..these folk transcribed as BONN are actually Benn ** seeing your last addition/comment , maybe THIS is granny Emma Benn Amos Bonn abt 1891 Sharnford, Leicestershire, England Son Ibstock Leicestershire Emma Bonn abt 1863 Dadlington, Leicestershire, England Wife Ibstock Leicestershire Frederick Bonn abt 1862 Sutton Cheney, Leicestershire, England Head Ibstock Leicestershire Joseph Bonn abt 1889 Sharnford, Leicestershire, England Son Ibstock Leicestershire Voilet Bonn abt 1899 Upton, Leicestershire, England Daughter Ibstock Leicestershire Eligah Magor abt 1847 Tunstall, Staffordshire, England Boarder Ibstock Leicestershire No, they cant be yours 1891 they are married View Record Benn, Emma abt 1863 Dadlington, Leicestershire, England Wife Sutton Cheney Leicestershire View Record Benn, Emma E abt 1885 Cross in Hand Lutterworth, Leicestershire, England Daughter Sutton Cheney Leicestershire View Record Benn, Frederick W abt 1832 Sutton Cheney, Leicestershire, England Head Sutton Cheney Leicestershire View Record Benn, George A abt 1891 The Shake Claybrooke, Leicestershire, England Son Sutton Cheney Leicestershire View Record Benn, Joseph M abt 1889 The Shake Claybrooke, Leicestershire, England Son Sutton Cheney Leicestershire View Record Benn, Thomas W abt 1884 Sutton Cheney, Leicestershire, England Son Sutton Cheney Leicestershire

Dea

Dea Report 12 Jan 2006 21:40

Neither of those references relate to a Frederick Benn. I have searched for him and the only one I can find married in Cannock - way outside you area, and not to your Elizabeth. I wouldn't order from those references at this time. Dea x

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 12 Jan 2006 21:47

Oh this is wierd(or am i getting carried away here...?) searched for Emma born dadlington in 1881 , and look who appears!! Name: Emma Hextall Age in 1881: 18 Age months: 0 Estimated birth year: abt 1863 Relationship to head-of-household: Servant Household: View other family members Family and neighbors: View neighbors Gender: Female Where born: Dadlington, Leicestershire, England Address: Hinckley Road Park Farm Civil parish: Burbage County/Island: Leicestershire Condition as to marriage: Unknown Occupation: Servant Domestic Employment status: View Image Source information: RG11/3130 Registration district: Hinckley Sub-registration district: Burbage ED, institution, or vessel: 2 Folio: 28 Page: 18

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jan 2006 21:53

Alice, I can't see why they can't be married in 1891?? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jan 2006 21:54

Bit funny about their forenames perhaps?? Marriages Dec 1882 >>>>Benn William Mt. Bosworth 7a 177 >>>>Hextall Emma Mt. Bosworth 7a 177 Parsons Joseph Mt. Bosworth 7a 177 Towers Edith Jane Mt. Bosworth 7a 177 Merry