Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what would be the next step - update

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 23 Mar 2006 17:01

i have been given the image of the 1851 census showing my great grandfather james aspinall born 1850 in bolton on it he was one year old and living with his mother jane and his 3 brothers and sisters and also his step father james swarbrick and his 4 children. james aspinalls mother is now jane swarbrick. how can i find out who her first husband was who i presume to be james father. although the census being 1851 and james born in 1850 that was a quick bereavement and marriage.? any ideas love linda x x

Heather

Heather Report 23 Mar 2006 17:03

I guess the only way is to buy his birth cert or search for a previous marriage -doyou know her maiden name ?

Heather

Heather Report 23 Mar 2006 17:12

I think Jane married Swarbrick in 1846, have a look at freebmd. Heather

Carter

Carter Report 23 Mar 2006 17:13

i dont know when he was born only c1850 in bolton and that his mothers name was jane and she was from bolton born c 1803. when did certs first come about ? love linda

Kate

Kate Report 23 Mar 2006 17:16

Civil registration certificates for births, marriages and deaths started in 1837, although not all births were registered until it was made compulsory in 1875 (I think) nearly all were so you will most likely find an index entry for his birth and then you will be able to order his birth certificate. Kate.

Heather

Heather Report 23 Mar 2006 17:21

Lindy, my geography isn't very good so is Bolton-le-moors the same place and is Warrington nearby? Heather

Kate

Kate Report 23 Mar 2006 17:23

Having had a quick look on FreeBMD, it looks as though James Aspinall was a popular name in Bolton! To make sure you don't miss any of the possible birth entries, you are best to look through the images of the GRO birth indexes for all quarters Jun 1849 to Jun 1850 and note down the references for all James Aspinalls born in Bolton. Then of course the trouble is finding out which is the right one. You can specify his mother's name has to be Jane when ordering the cert, if you are sure that Jane was her proper name and not just her middle name or something (you can't always tell from the census if this was the case.) Here is another idea - find the marriage between Jane Aspinall and James Swarbrick and order their marriage certificate first, because that will tell you Jane's maiden name. Then you can specify that as a checking point to order James's birth certificate and that should ensure you get the right one. But now I come to think of it, were any of James's brothers and sisters born before 1841? Perhaps you can find the Aspinalls on the 1841 with those children and see who his father was that way. Might help, anyway. Kate.

Carter

Carter Report 23 Mar 2006 17:25

hi heather thanks for your help. yeas bolton le moors is the same place and warrington is about 20 miles away. i can find the 1846 james swarbrick on free bmd and there are two janes one is jane hornby and the other is jane amar. the district is fylde which is near blackpool . if they married in 1846 and james was born in 1850 and his surname is aspinall and it says stepson on the 1851 census i dont understand it. love linda x

Kate

Kate Report 23 Mar 2006 17:28

I think the FreeBMD marriage Heather meant was Jane Aspinall and JOHN Swarbrick in Liverpool. But it could well just be a coincidence. But I can't find James Swarbrick / Jane Aspinall on Lancashire BMD. Gotta give the kids their tea now... Kate.

Carter

Carter Report 23 Mar 2006 17:29

thanks kate, james had a sister esther aspinall born 1832 in bolton a brother john born 1835 in bolton ( on the 1861 census james is living with john and his family ) a brother richard aspinall born 1833 in bolton i only know his mothers name is jane from the 1851 census i dont know if its her proper name. anyone got the 1841 census for lancashire ! love linda x x

Heather

Heather Report 23 Mar 2006 17:35

Lindy, does it say step-son on the image? There is something but not sure if it's step-son. Familysearch has a baptism for Esther parents James and Jane Bolton-le-moors and a marriage for a James Aspinall to Jane ASPINALL Warrington 1830.......oh no, the christening is before the marriage!! Heather

Carter

Carter Report 23 Mar 2006 17:36

thanks kate and heather i have got to go and give hubby his tea i will look at the liverpool one. just apuzzle why if they married in 1846 james's surname is aspinall and not swarbrick he was born in 1850 and why he is down as stepson? will be back later, if anyone else has any ideas please feel free. thanks love linda x

Carter

Carter Report 23 Mar 2006 17:39

you are right heather i can see where they have gone to put step son but it might have been crossed out but why then was his name aspinall.? be back after my pasta love lindax x

Carter

Carter Report 23 Mar 2006 18:13

well hubby is being fed. i have found on familysearch a marriage for a james aspinall to a jane latham 1st january 1822 saint peters bolton le moors lancashire. which sounds about right in 1851 jane's birth was c1803 which would make her 19 when she married.if only i knew if this was the right ones. if jane got remarried to james swarbrick thenon the marriage cert would her surname be aspinall or her maiden name ? love linda x

Carter

Carter Report 23 Mar 2006 18:19

found esthers christening 1830 bolton le moors whoo hoo!!

Carter

Carter Report 23 Mar 2006 18:34

still cant find richard , john, or james anywhere and i am still puzzled why if james was born in 1850 in bolton and his surname is aspinall then why si his mothe jane swrbrick in 1851 and james and his brothers and sister are down as stepchildren. ? ooh my heqd hurts now !!! love linda x

Heather

Heather Report 23 Mar 2006 18:36

Lindy Is James the nephew of John in 1861? If John was Jane's son in 1851 then perhaps James is the son of Esther? Heather

Carter

Carter Report 23 Mar 2006 18:48

oh my god heather. how would i work that one out. so who i thought was his sister could have been his mother. ? yes james is the nephew of john in 1861 census . when you look at it there is a big difference in the dates of birth . esther 1832 richard 1833 john 1835 and then james 1850 i just thought it was to do with her being remarried? if i could find out when janes husband died then that would give me a bettter idea. heather you are wonderful i can thank you enough for your help. love linda x

Heather

Heather Report 23 Mar 2006 18:55

Lindy Ask for a lookup for 1841 as Jane could have other, older children who could be James' parent. Heather

Carter

Carter Report 23 Mar 2006 18:56

just looking on free bmd to see if i can find a james aspinall who died after 1835 ( when john was born ) and before 1850 when james was born there are ten how can i narrow it down without sending for all the certs. that would be too costly love linda x