Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

many Thomas Shaw's but where is mine in 1841? Than

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 7 May 2006 13:54

Please see below in a mo, thanks

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 7 May 2006 13:58

Hi, Need some second opinions please, I have the marriage for Humphrey Shaw to Betty Wrigley in August of 1841 in Manchester. Humphrey was born c 1823 in Saddleworth ( have him on later census etc) On the marriage cert his dad is Thomas Shaw occupation weaver.... now the only Thomas Shaw with a son Humphrey that I can find is a Beer Seller? Right family???? I have no idea, what do you think please? Thanks Lisa with a headache!

Marie

Marie Report 7 May 2006 14:02

is there an address on the marriage cert?

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 7 May 2006 14:05

Hi Marie 3 Every Street. Nothing else..... runs off crying

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 7 May 2006 14:06

Is this Thomas the Beerseller? Betty Shaw abt 1801 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire View Record Charles Shaw abt 1817 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire View Record Humphrey Shaw abt 1823 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire View Record James Shaw abt 1819 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire View Record John Shaw abt 1816 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire View Record Mary Shaw abt 1826 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire View Record Thomas Shaw abt 1791 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire View Record Thomas Shaw abt 1837 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 7 May 2006 14:08

Hi Deborah Yes he is..... I kind of think this might be the right family.... if only dad was a weaver!

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 7 May 2006 14:12

Its horrid isn't it when a square peg will not fit in a round hole ? lol Have you searched 1851? Many anscestors would change profession on a reg basis.

Marie

Marie Report 7 May 2006 14:13

on the next page to thomas in 1841 there is another Shaw family. they have a Humphrey in there as well.

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 7 May 2006 14:14

Hi Deborah Yes I have, Thomas is still a beer seller, which makes me think he isn't mine...... but that would mean where was Humphrey in 1841...... still crying..... lol

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 7 May 2006 14:15

Hi Marie, mmm saw that one too, but the age is too far out as Humphrey married a few months later....

Marie

Marie Report 7 May 2006 14:15

View Record Betty Shaw abt 1821 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire View Record Hannah' Shaw abt 1823 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire View Record Humphrey Shaw abt 1816 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire View Record John Shaw abt 1821 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire View Record Joseph Shaw abt 1786 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire View Record Samuel Shaw abt 1826 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire View Record Sarah Shaw abt 1787 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire View Record Sarah Shaw abt 1838 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire View Record William Shaw abt 1831 Yorkshire, England Rochdale Yorkshire These could be rellies. From 1841 census.

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 7 May 2006 14:16

Im crying now......stop it LOL

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 7 May 2006 14:19

Hi Marie, Could be brother Joseph to Thomas couldn't it.... oooohh just another question to answer! lol....

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 7 May 2006 14:20

There is an UNMARRIED Thomas who is a Wollen sorter in 1851 Name: Thomas Shaw Age: 61 Estimated birth year: abt 1790 Relation: Brother Household: View other family members Gender: Male Where born: Saddleworth, Yorkshire, England Civil parish: Saddleworth Ecclesiastical parish: Friar Mere St Thomas County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Source information: HO107/2290 Registration district: Saddleworth Sub-registration district: Delph ED, institution, or vessel: 16 Folio: 308 Page: 13 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 53 GSU Number: 87483-87484

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 7 May 2006 14:20

Hi Deborah, OOOOHHHH a tissue for you! Thinking this is where my Shaw line might end, feels very odd!

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 7 May 2006 14:24

Would there be any clues as to who his family maybe in the naming of his children? Perhaps helping to cross refrence them off against the thomas Beer Seller and his family? Maybe? Oh thank you for the tissue........ there are are a fair few Thomas's on 1851 within the wollen trade in Saddleworth - I can see what a headache this is for you :((

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 7 May 2006 14:25

Hi Deborah, Saw Thomas (unmarried) probably ruled him out a little early.. When I found Thomas (beer seller) with son Humphrey, it just seemed more likely, Humphrey's siblings with this family are also the names of Humphreys children..... that's what swayed it for me, think this one will have to rest a while? LOL Great minds think alike!

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 7 May 2006 14:29

Humphrey in 1851: Betty Shaw abt 1824 Saddleworth, Yorkshire, England Daughter Saddleworth Yorkshire Charles Shaw abt 1850 Saddleworth, Yorkshire, England Grandson Saddleworth Yorkshire Humphrey Shaw abt 1823 Saddleworth, Yorkshire, England Son-in-law Saddleworth Yorkshire Mary Shaw abt 1846 Saddleworth, Yorkshire, England Granddaughter Saddleworth Yorkshire Hanl Maria Wrigley abt 1837 Saddleworth, Yorkshire, England Daughter Saddleworth Yorkshire Hannah Wrigley abt 1804 Saddleworth, Yorkshire, England Head Saddleworth Yorkshire Its easy to jump to the conclusion that the Thomas and family in 1841 could be yours.............. instinct tells you its very likely........... however I think you'd be wise to move along to looking at Parish records for humphrey's christening ........... I had a search on Familyhistoryonline........ found nothing sadly.

Tin Fields

Tin Fields Report 7 May 2006 14:32

Hi Deborah, That's my Humphrey! Do you know when I started this line I thought oh no Shaw...... then found Humphrey ( lovely unusual name yipee) or not as the case may be! Can you tell me how to get hold of the parish record please?

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 7 May 2006 14:40

LOL ........ watchout watchout there's a humphrey about.........lol You will usually find parish registers at the local County Record office and may find a transcript or microfilm copy at a major town library. Failing that try looking for parish registers at the nearest Genealogical library of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Sometimes you can find fragments of them onlline by googling ( a very hit and miss thing though ) OR some kind soul on the RECORDS BOARD of this web site may have either the parish your looking for or the Vital Records Index on CD............... put a request there looking for Humphrey's birth and see who can help :))