Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fancy looking for a Smith? UPDATED!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jun 2006 15:05

I'm trying to find my 3xg-grandparents on the 1851 census. See below for more info......

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jun 2006 15:06

Here they are in 1841: Standon, Hertfordshire James Smith aged 70 (=1770-1) Occ, Tailor, Born in County Mary Smith aged 65 (=1775-6) Born out of County George Wood aged 25 (=1815-6) Born in County I don't know who George Wood is, but in 1851 he was no longer with the Smith's. At some point the Smith couple moved to Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire where three of their children were living, but I cannot find them there either in 1851. The only other things I have are their death certs: Both deaths in Whittlesford 5th July 1859 James Smith, Aged 89, Occ Tailor (born about 1769-70) 13th April 1860 Mary Smith, Aged 85 (born about 1774-5) Oooooohhhhh I want to know where they were born!!! Fingers crossed........Merry x

Dea

Dea Report 12 Jun 2006 15:16

Merry, Could you giv me details on their children?? Dea x

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jun 2006 15:30

The ones I know about are: 1851: >>>>>>>>Catharine Maynard abt 1805 Hartfordshire, Standen Wife Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Edwin Maynard abt 1838 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Son Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Emily Maynard abt 1843 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Daughter Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Frederic Maynard abt 1841 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Son Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Henry Maynard abt 1833 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Son Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Nathan Maynard abt 1805 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Head Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Sarah A Maynard abt 1836 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Daughter Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Catherine Maynard nee Smith, my gg-granny, above. She is a bit fluid with her age! (she goes up by more than she should aftr her hubby dies, but here he is still with us!) 1851: Alber Maynard abt 1848 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Son Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Anne Maynard abt 1838 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Daughter Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Emma Maynard abt 1841 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Daughter Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Helen Maynard abt 1843 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Daughter Whittlesford Cambridgeshire >>>>>>>Jane Maynard abt 1807 Wadermill, Hampshire, England Wife Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Mary Maynard abt 1839 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Daughter Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Robert Maynard abt 1808 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Head Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Robert Maynard abt 1845 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Son Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Walter Maynard abt 1835 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Son Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Catherine's sister Jane Smith married my gg-grandfather's brother, Robert Maynard. She lived a long time and was consistent with her age. Hampshire should be Hertfordshire! 1851: Adah Smith abt 1843 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Daughter Whittlesford Cambridgeshire >>>>>>Edward Smith abt 1816 Hartshire, Wadesmill Head Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Edwin Smith abt 1839 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Son Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Frances Smith abt 1818 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Wife Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Frederic Smith abt 1845 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Son Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Henry Smith abt 1838 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Son Whittlesford Cambridgeshire Herbert Smith abt 1848 Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire, England Son Whittlesford Cambridgeshire and their brother, Edward. Also consistent with age. Wadesmill is in the parish of Standon, Herts. Merry

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jun 2006 15:49

Apologies if I don't reply for a while......am off out until about 8pm. Merry

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 12 Jun 2006 17:00

Merry if you cant find them and you are the expert what chance have we got? (LOL) I did go thru all Whittlesford pages and they are definitely not there. What a poor village it was, about half the population on Parish Relief!! I will have another look later for you unless anyone else can find them Marilyn

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jun 2006 17:13

Merry Can't find them using conventional weapons, so I decided to see if I could find a likely baptism for James, as we don't have Mary's maiden name. James says 1841 he was born in county. Both Braughing and Barkway are near Standon. JAMES SMITH - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 24 SEP 1769 Braughing, Hertford, parents: John Smith & Sarah JAMES SMITH - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 10 SEP 1769 Barkway, Hertford, parents William Smith & Mary The only other Hertfordshire baptisms in 1769/70 are in Hatfield and St Albans, which aren't so near.

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jun 2006 17:18

Very annoyingly I've found those two James Smiths on the census and they don't appear to be yours, curses!

Dea

Dea Report 12 Jun 2006 17:19

ditto with Helen !! SSSoo frustrating - I will keep looking and let you kno if I find anything. Dea Xxx

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jun 2006 17:20

Could this be their marriage? IGI JAMES SMITH Spouse: MARY LANGFORD Marriage: 21 FEB 1800 Standon, Hertford, England Batch No.: M072912 Dates: 1671 - 1812

Kate

Kate Report 12 Jun 2006 17:48

I will have a look later this evening if they have not been found. But really, James and Mary Smith! Kate.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 12 Jun 2006 18:56

Eliza Smith abt 1818 Ealing, Middlesex, England Daughter Lewisham Kent James Smith abt 1770 Hatfield, Hertfordshire, England Head Lewisham Kent Gardener Mary Smith abt 1777 Barnet, Hertfordshire, England Wife Lewisham Kent Couldn't be these could it. In Skeets Lane Lewisham ? Cynthia

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jun 2006 20:38

Ooooh, you are all so kind to keep looking, whilst I visited Father-in-law with two fractious children, ploughed round Asda, took them to McDonalds and came home! LOL I'm beginning to think the Smiths just got missed :o(( Thank you Cynthia for that couple.......Can't decide.....I suppose it's possible that James eyesight was too poor to continue being a tailor, so he had a change of occupation, but his apprenticed trade was put on his death cert.......It doesn't worry me that Mary is now born in Herts as the 1841 census are so often wrong.......Maybe I should look to see if I can find your couple separately on the 1841? Nell - I think that marriage is ''The One''!! Smith's are just too tricky for words! I have two branches of them :o(( Merry

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jun 2006 20:53

Who thinks I should buy this will????? I think James Smith lived most of his life in Standon/Wadesmill. He was a tailor. Who thinks this is a relation? (Will I be able to tell??!!!) Description Will of William Smith, Tailor and Shopkeeper of Standon , Hertfordshire Date 08 June 1838 Catalogue reference PROB 11/1897 Merry

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 12 Jun 2006 20:59

Merry, I am saying nothing. Last time I encouraged you, you spent pounds on the wrong person. Bet it says 'to my dearly loved wife... I leave everything'

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jun 2006 21:01

Well, that's one ''For''!! LOL (I think..............) Merry

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 12 Jun 2006 21:49

Merry, Go for it girl - its omly £3.50, and even if its NOT him, it might help you to eliminate someone else! Um, not trying to teach an old dog new tricks - but have you tried to find apprenticeship records?These would give you the name of his father, I should think. Wonder if the Wood lad was an apprentice, too? Aged 25, he could be a Poor Apprentice - should be in the Poor Law records. (Sorry, I know you dont want the Wood boy, but Ive got Woods on my mind after my recent hot matches! and sometimes you have to take a sideways sweep and come in on them from an unexpected angle!) OC

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jun 2006 21:52

LOL!!! Well, it was lovely clear writing! He had a beloved wife named Sarah and two beloved sons named Charles and George. He even named his father (not James!!) - John Smith (lol.....couldn't have been Archibald or something!).........he had lots of bits and pieces of property all to go to the wife and sons......Not one bit, ''To my brother James'' or ''To my nieces Jane and Catherine Maynard''!! Needless to say, there is no will of a John Smith (the father) for Standon Herts.........hmmmm wonder if he was a tailor too?? LOL Merry

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jun 2006 21:57

Hmmmmmmm Well, I've found the widow of William Smith and one of the sons. Widow Sarah (grocer) and son Charles (tailor) living in Standon in 1841. Sarah is 65 years of age, which suggests William (her late husband) and James (my ggg-grandfather) may have been brothers. So......two brother's with a dad name John Smith....lol.....Simple! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 12 Jun 2006 21:59

Hello Olde Crone...............no I haven't looked for apprenticeship records for these people yet. Only found the occupations today! (on death certs).......they were ones I'd been deliberately hanging fire on (for about 5 years lol) waiting for a really dry spell when I have no more ancestors to research! That time is now.......... Merry