Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

tracing someone with little knowledge

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gladys

Gladys Report 15 Aug 2012 22:22

Hi does anyone know how I can trace someone when all I have is a name an occupation and where he was on a certain day please

Janice

Janice Report 15 Aug 2012 22:25

Can you be more specific?

Was the certain day a special occasion?
Why was he there?
Was he with anyone?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 16 Aug 2012 03:04

You would need to give some details because it would depend on

When? was it 1760, 1860, 1960 or last year

Where? was it England/Wales, Scotland,Ireland, Australia or some other location

Do you know his age?

Roy

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 16 Aug 2012 10:34

Gladys. Not easy to advise without a fact or two. Can I suggest Russell Grant might be a good first base :-)

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 16 Aug 2012 11:19

John, that's a bit mean!!!

Gladys might be a newbie. She was only asking a very simple question. If you can't comment on anything more helpful then it's best not to comment at all.

A question is always just that - A Question which require's an answer. A person who knows the answer would never ask a question!!!!! So don't give smart answer's unless you can really help.

Glady's not all people on here answer in such a way, please ignore John.
PM (Personal message) me and I will help in a clear straightforward way.

Regards Lou

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Aug 2012 14:33

Gladys

You can't really hope to trace someone without having at least a slight idea of when he was born - and where.

I'm guessing that paternity may be the issue here.................

Lou..........

Gladys isn't exactly 'new' to GR and the boards

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 16 Aug 2012 19:41

Yes, you are right Looby Loo. I am a bit mean. I could tell we all wanted to help Gladys but she had not come back at all. I love helping to solve problems and I know the others do too. I wrote 7 hours after Roy had asked for more info and 12 hours after Janice had asked. And no response to mine either. Hope you get somewhere.

Moves a bit quick on here and pointless exercise if the OP asks a very vague question then does not respond to the questions of those who want to help. Janice responded 3 minutes after Gladys wrote and hopefully there is a good reason why Gladys did not immediately reply to Janice.

And would not Russell Grant be about the best person to answer the question as it now stands? Is that mean or jocular?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Aug 2012 20:59

Unless they've ticked 'My watched threads' and are expecting email notificaton? :-0

Gladys

Gladys Report 16 Aug 2012 21:19

Hi all sorry but not near comp for a while all I have is a name Thomas Williams yeah very common I know, he was at the birth of my father on the day of 29th November 1907 at 46 Dale road west ham london and he was a ships trimmer as his occupation that is all I know. My grandmother was born in 1886 and did not marry him so I can only guess his age maybe the same at the time approx, i will try and view my replies more often but thankyou anyway. I do like russell but I do not think he can help. Jean (gladys)

Gladys

Gladys Report 16 Aug 2012 21:20

Hi me again sorry forgot to say that my grandmother died giving birth to my dad so cannot follow her. jean

Gladys

Gladys Report 16 Aug 2012 21:23

Hi also forgot to say he was black or mixed race not that england ever recorded that really. jean

patchem

patchem Report 16 Aug 2012 21:56

One can search FMP 1911 census by occupation, but he may describe himself differently in 1911.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 16 Aug 2012 21:57

Jean. Found one possibility. Thomas WILLIAMS. In C1901, was living with parents Samuel and Elizabeth in Canning Town. Thomas was 21, driller & ship worker, born West Ham. Parents were both Welsh, from South Wales coal mining area and cannot see any sign of black or mixed race there. In C1911, still single, still living with parents and still working on ships.

Will keep looking for you. Glad you like Russell. I am proposing him for chief weather forecaster here in Wales, because he lives in Wales, has a fun personality and has much more chance of getting it right than current incumbents :-D

patchem

patchem Report 16 Aug 2012 22:03

WILLIAMS, Tomas Boarder Single M 28 1883 Fireman Ship Sinoe(??) Africa

RG number: RG14 Piece: 22200 Reference: RG 4PN22200 RG78PN1313 RD453 SD3 ED26 SN153
Registration District: Liverpool Sub District: Abercromby Enumeration District: 26
Parish: Liverpool Address: 26 Duncan St L'pool County: Lancashire

He is in a boarding house with other sailors, several of whom are trimmers.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Aug 2012 22:20

I rely on my neighbour's cat for weather forecasting. When she makes a dash for my greenhouse, I know that rain isn't far away.........

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 16 Aug 2012 22:21

We all saw that one, Patchem.

Only joking ;-) How brilliant a spot was that :-D

patchem

patchem Report 16 Aug 2012 22:25

Could you work out what Sinoe actually was, or Settakurs/o?

Gladys

Gladys Report 16 Aug 2012 22:30

Hi thanks for all that I dont know how to get notified that you all messaged me if anyone knows that please let me know. as for the welsh connection my dad did make regular visits to wales before I was born strange that!. I do know that he never raised my dad my fathers grandads brother did that in essex fair play to him of course maybe because he was at sea perhaps so I cant judge him just yet. jean

Gladys

Gladys Report 16 Aug 2012 22:34

Hi Patchem could it be samoa? do you know the transcribers (I am one of them) sometimes get things so wrong. they have my birth records as George and I have had to prove I am Gladys to the gro before they would make a note of it.. Jean

patchem

patchem Report 16 Aug 2012 22:35

This then becomes highly speculative, and there will be many other deaths, but just for info:
Thomas Williams
Birth Date: abt 1883
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1922
Age at Death: 39
Registration district: West Derby
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 322

Added:
I do not think that geography was their strong point.

Added:
You do not get notified of new posts on here.