Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Record

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 2 Feb 2010 15:42

On looking on BMD records I came across the entry for one of my relatives and next to the entry it said see another entry and it gave me a another number. On looking at this entry it related to a child born about 6 years earlier with a different name and difference mother's maiden name. Does this mean that this relative was adopted into the family and re-registered. Any suggestions.

Regards Pam

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Feb 2010 16:33

I don't think it will be an adoption - more likely a child born out of wedlock and re-registered at a later date. If the maiden name of the mother is different it could be that she was already married and used her first married name as her maiden name on the first registration. Without knowing the name and details it is difficult to tell without seeing the entry.

Kath. x

Pamela

Pamela Report 2 Feb 2010 16:47

Hi Kath

I can't find another marriage for her and I think she would be too young to have married before. It's difficult to give any more information as I think the relative in question may still be alive. The first registration was for a Gwendoline Cable born in Cardiff in the March quarter of 1926. She was re-registered in the March quarter of 1934. I will withhold her name for the time being.

Regards

Pam

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 2 Feb 2010 17:25

Hi Pam

I've sent you a pm

Wendy

Pamela

Pamela Report 2 Feb 2010 19:24

Thanks Wendy

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 2 Feb 2010 19:39

The birth was reregistered in December 1939.

Rose

Pamela

Pamela Report 2 Feb 2010 21:39

Hello Rose

I can't find the birth registration in 1939 for Gwendolin Cable. Can you tell me where you found it. I have a birth for March quarter 1926 with a note saying see another number.

Regards

Pam

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 2 Feb 2010 22:00

Hi

If we're looking at the same birth, then it has been registered 4 times.

Q1 1926 as Cable mmn Gray
Q2 1926 as both Cable AND Gray
Q4 1939 as Cable mmn Gray

Mary

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 2 Feb 2010 22:07

I can see the Mar 1926 entry - it says (twice) see D 39. I can see the too on FMP and Ancestry but not on Freebmd. Same name and same mother's name.

But somebody has screwed things up because the birth also appears in Jun 1926, with the same message (twice) to see D 39.

I can't see anything in Mar 1932 that could be her.

One guess might be that for some reason she was never registered in 1926 (or the documentation got lost at the register office) and was registered in 1939, but an entry put on the original year as well, by hand. Unfortunately by then the mother couldn't remember what quarter she had originally registered it in, as the child was perhaps born towards the end of March 1926 - so it got put on both quarters. The clerk obviously dithered about how to do it - wrote it at the bottom of the March quarter, then changed his mind and wrote it on the June quarter, then decided it should go on both of them.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 2 Feb 2010 22:13

Oh Mary is right, it is also registered as Gray in Jun 1926.

So, a different possibility is that it was registered in the wrong name (Gray) and should have been Cable and this wasn't spotted until 1939.

Or that the parents were unmarried in 1926 but married by 1939, and again the clerk has messed up the entries.

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 2 Feb 2010 22:24

Ah, now my theory is different to yours Madmeg :-)))

I'd guess that the mother wasn't married at the 1st registration but didn't let on, hence Cable mmn Gray.

Then registered the birth correctly in Q2 as Cable AND Gray.

Had married Mr Cable by 1939 so re-registered the birth again as Cable mmn Gray.

Mary

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 2 Feb 2010 23:13

Ah but Mary the 1926 registration as Gray is typed in - so implies to me it was the original registration, and the notes at the foot of March and June 1926 were added later when the birth was re-registered in 1939.

Now whether that reregistration was due to a mistake on the original, or due to the mother marrying the father, I don't know.

I assume that's an extra-smiley face - otherwise how did you know I had two double chins? :-)

Pam, it might help if you tell us a bit more about this family - other children or anything. You might have to be a bit careful if they are living people.

You say you can't find "another" marriage for her - so which marriage is it that you have found? There are quite a few between Cables and Grays, though I haven't yet found one in Cardiff.

EDIT - I've still not found any record of a birth in 1932 as you said.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 2 Feb 2010 23:39

Gwendoline and he husband are listed on the 2010 electoral roll.

Parents?

England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1916-2005
about Gwendoline L M Gray
Name: Gwendoline L M Gray
Spouse Surname: Cable
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1927
Registration district: Southampton
Registration county (inferred): Hampshire
Volume Number: 2c
Page Number: 184
Spouse: Charles G Cable

Births Sep 1898
Gray Gwendoline Lilian M Pontypool 11a 175

England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-2005
about Gwendoline Lillian M Cable
Name: Gwendoline Lillian M Cable
Birth Date: 9 Jun 1898
Death Registration Month/Year: 1974
Registration district: Southampton
Inferred County: Hampshire
Volume: 20
Page: 1195

Rose

mgnv

mgnv Report 3 Feb 2010 06:53

My guess is the intial rego was for Gray in 1926q2, but it was outside the usual 6 week limit. Sometime in the next 13 y, the mother married Mr Gray, the father. They then rerego'ed the birth 1939q4 as Cable. This would cause a notation "see D 39" to be added to the initial rego, and a fresh 1926q2 entry in the name Cable to be added.
Now to cover the possibility of Gwen asking for her Jan 1st 1926 (say) b.cert, and there not being an entry in that quarter, an extra entry in the name Cable is created for 1926q1, referring to the 1939q4 entry.

I saw a similar thing happen before (but I never sent for the b.cert) - the child was baptized on his first b.day (also the parents' wedding day), and the parish register noted that fact, and the GRO index registration was 2 quarters out from the d.o.b.

Pamela

Pamela Report 3 Feb 2010 14:36

Sorry for the delay but only just turned on computer. My family member was bon in March Quarter 1934 named Elizabeth Tamplin. The entry next to name says see 11a D39. When I searched on this number it gave me another birth of Gwendoline Cable mother Gray. I've had a look at the original entry and my relatives name is at the botton of the page, handwritten, saying 11a D39. I'm really confused. They are both registered in Cardiff. I think perhaps both births were registered on the same day and my Elizabeth was either left off and later corrected or she was a late entry. I think I may be seeing things clearer now, at first I thought perhaps a change of name or re-registration.

Thank everyone for your help.

Regards

Pam

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 3 Feb 2010 15:46

Hi Pamela,

I don't really understand how you managed to get the registration for Gwendoline Cable but your Elizabeth Tamplin is registered in both the names of Taylor and Tamplin in 1934 then in Tamplin in 1939.

There is also a Taylor/Tamplin marriage in 1939.

Christine

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 3 Feb 2010 15:49

I am even more confused Pam - what has your relative Elizabeth M Tamplin got to do with Gwendoline Gray/Cable? Apart from the fact that she also has her entry amended later.

Were you just using Gwendoline as being a similar example.?

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 3 Feb 2010 16:09

Hi Pam

Your Elizabeth Tamplin and the Gwendoline Cable entries are nothing at all to do with each other. They just so happen to have both been re-registered in the Dec quarter of 1939 and are sheer coincidence.

There are all sorts of reasons why her birth was registered late. Maybe they were out of the country? Maybe they simply forgot?

Mary

Pamela

Pamela Report 3 Feb 2010 16:26

Hi everyone

Yes.Mary is right I just think it was a coincidence that they were re-registered on the same day.

Thanks for all your help and sorry if I wasted your time.

Having a strange day today, I heard my uncle died this morning and my niece in Canada gave birth to a baby, so I lost one and gained one all in about 2 hourse.

Regards to you all.

Pam

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 3 Feb 2010 16:45

You say your relative is Elizabeth tamplin reg 1934 - presumably this one

Births Mar 1934 (>99%)
Tamplin Elizabeth M Taylor Cardiff 11a see D39 Scan available - click to view
Tamplin Elizabeth M Taylor Cardiff ? see D39 Scan available - click to view

looking at Dec qtr 1939 (not yet transcribed on freebmd) you find this

Births Mar 1934 (>99%)
Tamplin Elizabeth M Taylor Cardiff 11a 759