Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ireland Judge/Cashon

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 18 Jul 2009 22:14

I have found on the 1911 census my Great Great grand mother has given Mountracf as place born. Could anyone help with this location as all other census details have only given Ireland.

Many thanks H

Helen

Helen Report 18 Jul 2009 22:45

thanks for looking Jan! No not sure of the spelling thats as it is on 1911 census. Ive tried searches on google but nothing! i would love a break through but doesn't look like it is going to happen!

H

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 18 Jul 2009 22:49

Theres a Mountrath in southern Ireland?

My partner has a strong Irish accent and it sounds like...Mount racth....mount rackth.
He also doesnt sound the 'th'

The more i look at this,the more convinced i am it's the right place!

Maybe she pronounced it as Mount racff (ff instead of th?)

It's abt 8 miles away from Port Laoise (pronounced as Port Leesh)

Gerri

Helen

Helen Report 18 Jul 2009 22:52

Gerri thanks i'll take a look. very appreciated! fingers crossed i can come up with something!

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 18 Jul 2009 22:56

Port Laoise is the nearest big town

Good luck

Gerri

Found this on Google....

Mountrath (Maighean Ratha - 'the fort in the bog') is a small town in County Laois, Ireland, on the N7 midway between Dublin and Limerick

Helen

Helen Report 18 Jul 2009 23:12

I'm so pleased just wished her husband Dennis cashon had still been alive and i had found out where he came from! but hey i'm very thank full you have made my day! xx

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 18 Jul 2009 23:18

My partner comes from Ballyfin....just up the road from mountrath and he denies having an Irish accent lol

Only too pleased to help.

Helen

Helen Report 18 Jul 2009 23:22

Irish joker then! lol Gerri do you know if it is possible to search records for about 1835 in that part of ireland?

H x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 18 Jul 2009 23:24

Did she marry in Ireland? if so, have you got her marriage cert?...which church?

We'er going over there in a couple of weeks time. I could take a look for you.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 18 Jul 2009 23:27

Irish records are hard to come by as the records office was burnt down (Dublin Castle) cant remember what year and himselfs gone to bed now.

Just woke him up..hee hee 1916 was the fire.
Very few records survived.

I think the only records now will be in the Parish.

Helen

Helen Report 18 Jul 2009 23:27

No never found a marriage in england for them ,Annistatia Judge and Dennis Cashon. There were here in England in the late 1850's. They must have married in Ireland! x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 18 Jul 2009 23:30

Were any children born in Ireland?

Helen

Helen Report 18 Jul 2009 23:31

Aw bless waking him up x i'd be so great full if it were at all possible for you to do that x

Helen

Helen Report 18 Jul 2009 23:31

No Gerri all born here x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 18 Jul 2009 23:35

Found this on google too....

The ancient and proper name of this parish is Clonenagh. Formerly the now distinct Parishes of Raheen and Ballyfin were comprised in the united Parishes of Clonenagh and Clonagheen.

Himselfs brother and sister in law are church wardens of Ballyfin church....I'll have a word with them when over there.

Isnt this exciting? lol

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 18 Jul 2009 23:37

am sending you my e.mail addy via PM....Send me yours back and i will see what.if anything i can find out.

Gerri x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 18 Jul 2009 23:43

I have written the details on the back of my flight details so wont forget lol

What years were they born? 1830s?

Helen

Helen Report 18 Jul 2009 23:53

Gerri thanks x They were born Dennis 1832 -35 Annastastia 1835-7 They have different dates on census thats the reason for the above. x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 18 Jul 2009 23:55

Still havent got your e.mail addy.

If i dont hear from you via e.mail i will answer on here.

2 to 3 weeks time.

Gerri x

Ok got that

Helen

Helen Report 19 Jul 2009 00:01

Thanks Gerri, hope you have a wonderful hol. safe journey x