Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census spelling mistake - please help

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

tinaj

tinaj Report 3 Mar 2008 10:23

I am trying to trace my G Grandad David Davies. He married Sarah Melia in 1894, both aged 22 (I think they were exagerating and were really only 19!) I have their marriage certificate which gives no clues as to where he originated from, but gives his father's name as David Davies too.

I have found David and Sarah (with the right children's names and other rellies) on the 1901 census living in Liverpool (ref RG13/3471.) It says that David was born in Wales, Angleoch. My problem is that there is no such place. I have googled it - and found the only references to the place were from a distant cousin who I didn't know - also looking for my David Davies! (Some good has come out of it because I am in regular touch with my cousin now, and we are working together on this side of the family.)

My husband's family are welsh - and we have tried to find where it could be. We think Amlwch on Anglesey is a strong contender and there is a David Davies who could fit the bill. So before I get too carried away with claiming this man as a relative - does anyone know of any other towns or villages in Wales that "Angleoch" could really be?

LD

LD Report 3 Mar 2008 10:37

Could this be him ?
1881 Census

Name: David Davies
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873
Relation: Boarder
Where born: Amlwch, Anglesey, Wales

Civil Parish: Amlwch
County/Island: Anglesey

Street address: 12 Well Street
Education: View Image
Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Anglesey
Sub-registration district: Amlwch
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
David Davies 8
Margaret Davies 14
Jane Owen 62
William Owen 65

View original image

tinaj

tinaj Report 3 Mar 2008 10:45

Thankyou laptop dancer OBE. I am hoping this is him. I am quite new to this game - so I am a bit unsure of myself. Not too confident about declaring Angleoch as nonsense and deciding it must be Amlwch instead. I guess you learn to back your own hunches as you get more experienced!

tinaj

tinaj Report 3 Mar 2008 10:46

Thank you Island I will take a look there - we are from North Wales, so not so hot on South Wales villages

LD

LD Report 3 Mar 2008 10:56

Christine I cannot find them on 1901 census, can you give me Class, Piece, Folio, Page No please.

Julie

Julie Report 3 Mar 2008 11:03

LD

If you only put in Angleoch for where born it will come up & nothing else like names

Julie

Julie

Julie Report 3 Mar 2008 11:04

Christine

What was his dads occupation

Julie

tinaj

tinaj Report 3 Mar 2008 11:05

Sorry Laptop dancer - I don't know how to find those references. The only one I could find was the RG number I put at the top.

I do know it is Kirkdale district 40, but I don't know if it helps

tinaj

tinaj Report 3 Mar 2008 11:07

Hi Julie
His dad's occupation is given on the wedding cert as Dock Labourer. David himself was a mariner.

tinaj

tinaj Report 3 Mar 2008 11:10

Hi Laptop dancer

Found out where the references are!!

Class: RG13; Piece: 3471; Folio: 92; Page: 26

LD

LD Report 3 Mar 2008 11:11

From the 1891 census. I note that in 1901 he was working on the docks so maybe he started by working on board ships ?

Name: David Davies
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
Relation: A B (Seaman)
Where born: Penrhoslligwy, Anglesey, Wales

Civil Parish: Vessels
Town: South Woolwich Arsenal
County/Island: London

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View Image

Registration district: Woolwich
Sub-registration district: Woolwich Arsenal
ED, institution, or vessel: Ellen Anne
Household Members:
Name Age
George Campbell 18
David Davies 21
Thomas Jones 35
Hugh Prichard 15
William Prichard 30

View
Original
Record

View original image

tinaj

tinaj Report 3 Mar 2008 11:17

Laptop Dancer

That would make a lot of sense - it would explain how he ended up in Liverpool.
Thank you so much for all your help :0))

Julie

Julie Report 3 Mar 2008 11:22

Christine

I am just coming at this from another angle..what makes you think that they told porkies about their ages on there M/C to say they were only 19 as this is Sarah in the 1881 & this would make her 22 at time of marriage

Sarah Melia
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1872
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Martin
Mother's Name: Mary
Where born: Liverpool, Lancashire, England

Civil Parish: Toxteth Park
County/Island: Lancashire

Street address: 3 CT 7 House Bevin Lane
Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Toxteth Park
Sub-registration district: Toxteth Park
ED, institution, or vessel: 16
Household Members: Name Age
Margaret A. Melia 2
Martin Melia 35
Mary Melia 35
Sarah Melia 9

tinaj

tinaj Report 3 Mar 2008 11:36

Hi Julie

I thought they may have been telling porkies because of the difficulties I have had finding Sarah's birth. The 1891 census is the right one - Sarah's fathers name was Martin. I sent away for a cert for Sarah born 1871 in Liverpool with a ref check on Fathers name = Martin and no cert was produced. The other 2 Sarah's of the right age were both Sarah Ann Melia. I haven't sent for them yet but think I will have to. But very very few of my rellies on this side has middle names.
I have also looked for Martin and Mary's wedding without much success. The only one I found in the right period was Mary Guinan & Martin Melia 1873 in Bolton (don't know of any Bolton connections) That would make our Sarah illegit!
Finally (bet you are sorry you asked now!) I have a possible Sarah Melia aged 15 on the 1891 census working as a general domestic in Liverpool.
It all seems very muddled

tinaj

tinaj Report 3 Mar 2008 11:41

Julie
The 1891 census refs for Sarah are:
Class: RG12; Piece: 2898; Folio 14; Page 22; GSU roll: 6098008.
If Martin & Mary married after Sarah was born surely his name would still have been on the birth certificate? Maybe I need to order the certificate anyway regardless of a check for the fathers name. Or maybe her surname wasn't even Melia?

Julie

Julie Report 3 Mar 2008 11:43

I saw the 1891 for Sarah too...but just to say my nan is the youngest of 3 and her parents married 14 after she was born

It's a shame Sarah wasn't registered in Toxteth Park like Maria

Julie

Julie Report 3 Mar 2008 11:47

For Sarah to have had Martins surname he would of had to either been married to Mary, or wait for it Mary told a porkie and said they were married

tinaj

tinaj Report 3 Mar 2008 11:51

I had the same problem on my dads side. Nan was the youngest of 3 - some of the family suspected she had arrived a little early - in fact so had her older sister - they married 11 years after my nan was born - not even sure he was her real dad!

Thanks for your help today - looks like I am going to have to pluck up the courage to spend a day at the records office to unscramble this - its like trying to nail jelly to the wall!!

Julie

Julie Report 3 Mar 2008 11:53

Just been looking in the 1871 for Martin, now seeing as Sarah was born in 1872 i can't see him so wondered if Martin married Mary in Ireland & maybe Sarah was born in Ireland

Just realised there is a big gap between Sarah and Margarets birth

Julie

Julie Report 3 Mar 2008 11:55

its like trying to nail jelly to the wall

That made me laugh lol

What i would do is get Maria's birth certificate to get mums maiden name......Sorry to move away from your Davies, that was just too hard for me lol