Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Australian Help Please - Finding Missing Person

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 25 Feb 2008 11:24

Wonder if anyone can help me with suggestions for sources that would help find a (hopefully) living person in Australia who was last seen/heard from 13 years ago.

Friend is about to become a parent and would dearly love to track down his father who disappeared from his life, possibly because of illness. His father would now be 64.

Friend realises the journey is fraught with difficulty (and that his Dad may no longer be alive), but was fond of his Dad and feels the need to know what's happened to him.

Any suggestions for where he can look/who might be able to help gratefully received.

Thanks.

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 25 Feb 2008 12:01

Hi Maggie,

Will PM you.

Regards, louisa

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 25 Feb 2008 12:04

Hi Maggie.

Have you tried the online White pages directory.
If you know a State or Territory and a given and surname that this person may live in, they could be listed in the directory.

http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/initResSearch.do

Sorry. best i can offer.

Good luck....Tony ( Victoria Aus )

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 25 Feb 2008 12:06

Thanks Louisa, will keep checking inbox.

Maggie

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 25 Feb 2008 12:07

Only problem is they dont list the first names anymore just initials :0(

Regards, louisa

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 25 Feb 2008 12:11

Thanks Tony,

Did try online phone book, but only initials listed rather than first names so quite a heap to go through - person was last seen in Qld, but may have moved state, and may be going under an alternative surname.

Thanks for suggestion.

Maggie

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 25 Feb 2008 12:49

Have to go now.

Will check back tomorrow.

Thanks Louisa and Tony for your help.

Maggie

Sheila

Sheila Report 25 Feb 2008 13:52

Hi Maggie,

I think you have already tried the phone books so go onto the Records Office page and put this in the search box.

Anyone need help in finding relatives in USA, Canada, Australia.

Maybe Katrin can help you,

Good Luck!

Sheila

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 25 Feb 2008 14:39

Thanks Sheila will give that a go.

Maggie

Wendy

Wendy Report 26 Feb 2008 11:19

Don't have a link for them, but the Red Cross are very useful for things like this. I believe they have a special missing person's branch. The Red Cross in the UK are the people to see as they can take all the details and go from there through their own channels.

Wendy

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 26 Feb 2008 12:50

Wendy,

Thanks for that suggestion.

Maggie

P.S. Just googled your suggestion and it came back with all sorts of helpful links - BIG THANKS!!

Terri-Anne

Terri-Anne Report 26 Feb 2008 13:49

I know it sounds silly but have you thought of writing to Womans Day magazine? They have a section in their magazine where people can ask for info on such things. You would be surprised at how many people read it.
Terri

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 26 Feb 2008 16:45

Doesn't sound silly at all Terri - seem to remember seeing a copy when I visited Australia.

Thanks for the idea.

Maggie

Eileen

Eileen Report 26 Feb 2008 20:13

Don't forget the Salvation Army - they too are very good at finding lost family - don't know if they operate in Australia though.
Good luck
Eileen

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 26 Feb 2008 22:01

Yes, they do, I've found them very helpful, although I wasn't trying to trace a living person.

Try this address (for New South Wales):

[email protected]

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 27 Feb 2008 11:20

Thanks Eileen, Mary and others, you're all being really helpful - much appreciated.

Maggie

Vicci

Vicci Report 5 Mar 2008 02:36

http://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=232

As a long shot you could try looking at the website above. This is the "Welcome Wall" which migrants can register on.

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 5 Mar 2008 09:42

Victoria,

Thanks - the person I am looking for is an Australian who went missing in Oz and is most likely still there, but that site does look useful for people both past and present.

Thanks for your time.

Maggie

liquidamber¨°o.O

liquidamber¨°o.O Report 5 Mar 2008 11:06

Hi

The Salvation Army does operate here in OZ, this is the Queensland Office

The Salvation Army
342 Upper Roma Street

Brisbane

Australia

Phone: for Family Tracing 07 32365544

Good Luck