Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UPDATE - Any More Ideas PLEASE!!

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 29 Jan 2011 13:48

Trying to find info - have posted before with no luck a while ago. Can't find previous thread may have deleted.

This is the ONLY info I have ... here goes

Arthur Watson married in 1922 to Louisa Charman (have marriage cert.

Details are

St Johns Church Stratford West Ham 15 April 1922

Bride Louisa Charman age 19
Groom Arthur Watson age 22 both residing at 35 Langthorn Street.
Arthurs occupation is a Traveller (I believe this would have been a Salesman) father is down as deceased Edward Watson Occupation Ship Steward.

In 1925 he was still at Langthorn Street (according to Electoral Roll)

Witmess were H Charman (Louisa father)
S G Thelford |(cannot find any trace of this name on the 1911 cemsus or freebmd

Any ideas as I have NOTHING to confirm this person no place of birth etc.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Many thanks and fingers crossed!! Will check back in 20 minutess hubby waiting to use computer

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 29 Jan 2011 14:00

The only Edward Watson in 1911 census with a possible occupation that might match but unfortunately no Arthur born c1900 shown in the record so it could be a red herring.

1911:
WATSON, Edward J Head Married M 44 1867 Steward Lancashire Lpool
WATSON, Alice Wife Married F 18 1893 Resident N Y C
WATSON, Millie Daughter Single F 19 1892 Cheshire New Ferry
WATSON, Edith Daughter F 14 1897 Lancashire Lpool
WATSON, Ernest Son M 8 1903 School Lancashire Lpool
WATSON, Harold Son M 11 1900 School Lancashire Lpool
WILLIAMS, Mary Elizabeth Servant Single F 30 1881 Domestic Servant Denbighshire Holt
MORLEY, Katherine Visitor Single F 19 1892 Drapery Birkenhead
RG number:
RG14 Piece:
21928 Reference:
RG14PN21928 RG78PN1306 RD451 SD3 ED2 SN90

Registration District:
Wirral Sub District:
Bebington Enumeration District:
2 Parish:
Lower Bebington

Address:
4 Irvine Terrace New Ferry Cheshire

The same Edward Watson in 1901:

Name: Edward Watson
Estimated birth year: abt 1868
Relation: Son-in-Law
Spouse's name: Catherine Watson
Where born: Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Civil Parish: Kirkdale
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
County/Island: Lancashire
Street address:

Condition as to marriage: Married

Education:

Employment status:

View image
Registration district: West Derby
Sub-registration district: Kirkdale
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 89
Household Members:
Name Age
Robert Isaac 79
Marion Isaac 73
Margaret Isaac 50
Edward Watson 33
Catherine Watson 31
Catherine Watson 9
Edward Watson 7
Edith Watson 4
Harold Watson 1

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 29 Jan 2011 15:03

Thanks Jonesey pondering.......No idea really

Shame no Arthur unless he changed from Harold to Arthur as notice in earlier census 1901 Catherine probably is probably millie(?) and looks as if second marriage also by Edward to Alice on tyhe 1911

Unfortunately as mentioned I have no way of confirming this but thanks.

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 29 Jan 2011 16:45

nudge

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Jan 2011 16:55

Could this Arthur have been left with people while family away on ship?

BROWN, Henry Head Married M 24 1887 Iron Door Maker Upton Park Essex
BROWN, Emilie Wife Married F 23 1888 Forest Gate Essex
BERRY, Eliza Mother Married F 61 1850 Portsmouth Hants
>>WATSON, Arthur Boarder M 11 1900 School Leytonstone Essex

Registration District: West Ham Sub District: South East Ham Enumeration District: 22 Parish: East Ham

Address: 4 Ranelagh Road East Ham County: Essex

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 29 Jan 2011 17:04

Thanks MarieCeleste once again I cannot confirm this I really do not know how I would be able to trace him. The biggest nuisance is that have no place of birth for Arthur (son) or Edward (father) hence, in my mind no way of confirming. I also do not know if Edward was always working as a Ship Steward. As mentioned above I only have what is on Arthurs marriage cert.

Thank you anyway

Not sure if anyone can tell me where to go from here or any advice that can be given to trace this rather elusive rellie.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 29 Jan 2011 17:15

Unfortunately it does not help much but here is the Arthur Watson that MC found. The area he lived in would certainly appear more likely than Liverpool.

1901:

Name: Arthur Watson
Estimated birth year: abt 1900
Relation: Nurse Child (Nurse)
Where born: Leytonstone, Essex, England
Civil Parish: East Ham
Ecclesiastical parish: Upton Park St Stephen
Town: East Ham
County/Island: Essex
Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View image
Registration district: West Ham
Sub-registration district: East Ham
ED, institution, or vessel: 13
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 197
Household Members:
Name Age
William Berry 62
Eliza A Berry 51
Thomas Berry 16
Henry Berry 14
Arthur Watson 1

Mary

Mary Report 29 Jan 2011 17:51

Maybe it is the same Edward Watson.
If he was a sailor who knows.

His first wife Catherine died 1908 and he than married Alice a 18/19 year old American??

I haven's found that marriage yet.

He must have been away from home a lot working on the Cunard Line.

Maryb

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 29 Jan 2011 23:06

Jonesey. Yes I remember this census when I first started looking. Interesting to see that on the 1901 census there were Berry's in the house and in the 1901 that MC posted there was also a Berry in the house. Perhaps a coincidence.

Mary. Yes I noticed that the bride was a lot younger and the daughter Milliie was a year older by the looks of things than her stepmother. BUT no Arthur.

Thanks for the comments any other info you can think that may help would be appreciated.

I wonder if anyone has come across this problem before. I suppose it goes to show if you don't want to be found then...............???

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 30 Jan 2011 09:05

Paula,

It is no coincidence. The Eliza Berry who is in the 1901 and 1911 census returns along with Arthur Watson is the same person. It looks very much as if she may have raised Arthur.

It might be worth getting a copy of birth certificates for likely Arthur Watson's born in that area. The problem being of course that there is more than one possible, so which one do you go for first.

Births Dec 1899 (>99%)
Watson Arthur Lawrence W. Ham 4a 132
N.B Not this one as he died in 1900

Births Mar 1900 (>99%)
Watson Arthur Adams W. Ham 4a 366

Births Jun 1900 (>99%)
Watson Charles Arthur W. Ham 4a 202

My best bet would be the one registered in Mar qtr 1900.

The problem you have is quite a common one for several reasons. Some people did not really know the name of their father so "Invented" a name on their marriage certificate to cover illegitimacy. Others who had been raised by someone other than their birth parents gave details which may not have been accurate.

It is just one of the many problems that make the hobby of genealogy both fascinating and frustrating at the same time.

Good luck.

Mary

Mary Report 30 Jan 2011 10:42

EDWARD Arthur Watson West Ham Essex O/N/D 1900 4a 79.

Maryb

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 30 Jan 2011 10:56

Jonesey. I trhink I will have to send for the certs with a checking point of Edward as father.

Checked fror a marriage for a Edward Watson to an Adams and one appeared in Gateshead in 1898 so really not sure.

Mary thanks for posting. I will send for the cert also but checked for combinations of marriage and there was an Edward A Watson married in Wandsworth to a Berry in 1937 so a bit late that's if is the same Edward Arthur posted as a birth.

Many thanks and keep it going if you can think of anything else. I originally started this about 5 years ago for my now deceased father-in-law. He never knew his father as he left both boys (Ernest Edward and Arthur) at a very young age.

Thanks you once again.

PS Do you think the Berrys were related as I am curious what the procedure was regarding "care" at the turn of the centuiry.

Paulax

Mary

Mary Report 30 Jan 2011 11:37

Do we have a death for Arthur Watson?

Maryb

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 30 Jan 2011 12:12

Paula,

I had seen the birth that Mary has indicated but I did not include it in my list of "Possibles" because that particular Watson would not have been 1 year old when the 1901 census was taken on 31/3/1901.

The Berry family may or may not have been related. The term "Nurse child" may have been used in many circumstances but the general consensus is that in today's language we would call it a foster child. As you know there are many reasons why children are fostered out. These might include poverty, illegitimacy, parents illness, marriage breakdown ect. Another use of the term "Nurse child" is that the child's mother may have been employing someone to look after the child for her. It was quite common for children to be "Farmed" out if there were reasons why the mother could not look after the child herself such as her illness, need to work or travel. People often advertised for someone to look after their children on a temporary basis and indeed people also advertised their willingness to perform such duties in return for payment.

Tragically such arrangements often ended in the child's death when perhaps the birth mother could no longer pay for its upkeep, the child was starved to death or killed outright by the "Foster" mother.

It was also common at that time for orphan or pauper children that were being looked after by the Poor law unions to 'offer' out children. They were provided with some free clothing and the "Adopters"' were given a few shillings a week for their trouble. The chance of a few shillings a week was taken up by many a poor family.

Formal adoption did not come into being until 1927 following the Adoption Act 1926. Prior to that all arrangements were informal.

Finally, unfortunately the GRO no longer offer a checking point service so it is a case of paying your money and taking your chances.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 30 Jan 2011 12:37

Paula, you said your previous threads had disappeared - they're still there:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/records_office/thread/1064395

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/tips_board/thread/1240132?page=1

For future reference, there is a green menu on the left of this screen. On it, you'll see "Tools" and under that "My Thread Participation". If you click on that then you'll find all threads that you've started or posted on. Any that are of particular interest you can also bookmark.

When you have the thread in question then you just need to add an update for further information rather than start a whole new thread - that saves the helpers here duplicating research that's already been done, as well as enabling you to check back on information found for you.

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 30 Jan 2011 12:51

Thanks MarieCeleste I did check my bookmarks but coud not find previous threads, obviously I did not look propertly. I fully understand what you mean about duplicaton of info as I put this on any threads that are posted twice etc. it is frustrating I know so apologise for any inconvenience.

I di not have a date place of death or anything else.

Thank you for your help.

Jonesey> Thank you very much for th explanation very much appreciated. As GRO do not have a "checking point" system now it looks as if I will have to purchase the certs. The only apprehension I have is that an assumption has been made that Arthur was born in Leytonstone which obviously I have no idea of. Many thanks for your help. I will keep plodding along.

Mary

Mary Report 30 Jan 2011 16:10

The Edward middle name Joshua who was a Ships steward in 1901 and 1911 was born Liverpool 1867 to Edwatd Thomas Watson born Lambeth 1818 and catherine born @ 1831 in Chester/Cheshire.

I can't find a death for Edward Joshua Watson

Iknow it doesn't really mean anything other that a connection to Middlesex.

Maryb

I'm still looking.

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 30 Jan 2011 16:44

Thank you so much

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 30 Jan 2011 18:15

Is it possible for someone to check Scotlands People for this person

Edward Watson c1885 Broughty Ferry Forfar Scotland

Thank you

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 30 Jan 2011 18:51