Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WILTSHIRE ANCESTORS PRE 1841? Prepare to die and g

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merry

Merry Report 14 May 2005 21:28

I have just found a series of fiche in my drawer I had forgotten I had. They cover a series of 'census' records for various Wiltshire parishes between 1650 and 1831. (list to follow in a few mins, below). The very worst ones only record heads of household and the numbers of males and females in the house. Some show all the people in the parish, but in alphabetical order. The best show just about the same details as the later census records we are all used to! The VERY BEST is for HORNINGSHAM - comments like 'nee XYZ' for married women - things like 'wife is the dau of Mr and Mrs X nextdoor-but-one' and 'Mrs X does not keep her house well' (I truely am not making this up:~))

Merry

Merry Report 14 May 2005 21:41

*****PLEASE NOTE****** I can only do these lookups in the evenings as if my small children find out I have a fiche reader hidden in the dining room, all hell will be let loose! So if you post in the morning, don't expect a reply until the later part of the evening! Parish List: These parishes have records between 1695 and 1705, most more than one year: Bincknoll Cliffe Pypard Hilmarton Lydiard Tregoze Lyneham Tockenham Wootton Bassett Chiseldon Liddington Swindon Wansborough Little Hinton Wroughton Tythings of: Elcombe Overtown Salthrop Uffcot Westlecot The following have 'census' records for the years shown: Box 1801 Corsham 1770 Steeple Ashton 1770 1800 1813 1818 1826 1827 Trowbridge 1821 Brixton Deverill 1791 Bromham 1831 Bulkington 1801 Chiseldon 1797 (that's a very detailed one) Donhead 1695 Foxley 1811 Grittleton 1811 Horningsham 1797 1799 1801 (**BRILL**) Little Cheverell 1785 Manningford Abbots 1810 Stanton St Bernard 1744 Stourton 1821 1831 Stratford sub castle 1821 Sutton Veny 1821 1831 Woodborough 1811 Woodford 1887 Highworth 1801 Mere 1650 Please make any requests onlist please. I will reply onlist unless you request otherwise. It's no good asking if I have any other parishes, because I dont!! Please note that these records are mostly unindexed, so I cannot undertake blanket searches. Sorry! Happy Hunting:~) Sarah

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 14 May 2005 21:49

Wow. What a find. I have links to Hibberd/Hibbard families in Little Cheverill and Stanton St. Bernard. Have you got any info on them? Thanks

Merry

Merry Report 14 May 2005 21:55

REPLY Jan - Sorry nothing for Hibberd/ard in either of those two parishes. Pity - Little Cheverell is a good one - the census records the baptism dates of all the children in each house!! Sarah

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 14 May 2005 22:16

All I can say is that I'm gutted!! You win some and lose some. Thanks for looking

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 14 May 2005 22:21

Sarah you said you have Donhead census 1695, but which one???? As far as I know there is a Donehad St Mary and a Donhead St Andrew...... OR does it cover both OR at that early stage there was just one Donhead?????? Am interested in Scammell and Ingrams in Donhead St Mary. and if you don't mind Andrews too. Many thanks for your time Shelli

Merry

Merry Report 14 May 2005 22:59

REPLY Shelli - re Donhead - Well, it doesn't give anything more for the parish name! Does say the three 'areas' covered are Dognell, Haystone and Charlton, if that helps??!! No entries for Ingrams and just one for Scammell (I did check widely for spelling variants given the early year:~) 1695 - SCAMMELL Elizabeth, widow, Receiving Alms, living at Dodnell Just went back to check for Andrews, as for some reason i didn't do it the first time! Sorry, no entries. Sarah

Mystified

Mystified Report 15 May 2005 09:54

Sarah, I am looking for COLLIER (COLLIAR, COLLYER) in Elcombe and Salthrop and would appreciate any info you may have. Thanks in anticipation

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 May 2005 10:13

Hi Sarah I see you have some records on Mere is it possible to have anything relating to the Welch family living in Mere as I am trying to sort out a few problems many thanks maureen

Macbev

Macbev Report 15 May 2005 10:22

DEAR Sarah, If you can find any PINKERs around Box or Corsham for me, I will love you forever (or PINKERs anywhere- they moved around a lot). If you can find GOULDs in Trowbridge, I will be prepared to lick your boots! Thanks, Beverley from Perth Western Australia

Karen

Karen Report 15 May 2005 10:52

Wow Sarah, Thanks for this offer, can I be naughty and ask for two? I am looking for any mention of the Curtis family in Stourton, and the Howell family in Mere, Regards Sam :o)

Wifey

Wifey Report 15 May 2005 11:16

Hi Sarah, You lucky thing!! What a find!!!!! Any info on the Tuck family from Lydiard Tregoze would be great!! Many thanks Paula

Russell

Russell Report 15 May 2005 12:08

Hi Sarah Would you be able to look at Trowbridge 1821 for George & Hester WEBB or any other webbs that night be there. thank you for your kind offer Russell

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 15 May 2005 19:40

Sarah Thanks xxxxx

Merry

Merry Report 15 May 2005 22:20

REPLIES In all cases, though I have only listed the 'usual' spellings below, I have checked for all variables I can think of! Where anyone has asked for a parish 'and surrounds' I have only checked the parish actually requested. If you wish to ask for others (specifically) please do so! ---------------------------------------------------------------------- John re Collier (do you remember the ad (singing...), 'John Collier, John Collier, the window to watch'!! Sorry:~))) Anyway, I'm afraid there were no Colliers listed for Elcombe or Salthrop. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Maureen - re Welch - ( I assume these are heads of household as there were very few women listed). Mere 1650 Henry WELCH Jo WELCH ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Beverley - re Pinker - Sorry, there were no Pinkers listed for Box or Corsham. Re Gould: Trowbridge 1821 William GOULD, 6m, 7f, living at Hill Street ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Sam - re Howell - Sorry, there were no Howells listed for Mere. Re Curtis (assume the counties relate to the birthplace of the head of household?): Stourton 1821 CURTIS Hannah (with John Scamell). Somerset CURTIS Mary (56) Harriet (24) HARCOT Jane (81) Somerset CURTIS Thomas (45) Charles (19) Thomas (6) SMART Sophia (45) Elizabeth (21) Ann (19) Rachel (12) Fanny (10) Charlotte (8) Hannah (5) Martha (2) Somerset CURTIS William (50) Susanna(49) John (17) William (15) Thomas (14) Joseph (6) Ann (22) Elizabeth (7) Somerset Stourton 1831 Curtis William 3m over 20 and 1 under, 1f ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Paula - re Tuck: Lydiard Tregoze 1697 TUCK Adam and Ann (1700 & 1701 None) ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Russell - re Webb: Trowbridge 1821 WEBB G 2m, 2f, Frog Lane WEBB Jos 3m, 2f, Frog Lane WEBB Sarah 2m, 2f, Court Street WEBB Mary 1m, 4f, Union Street WEBB Mr 2m, 2f, The Halve WEBB Thomas 2m, 1f, Hilpurton Lane & Yerbury Street WEBB Widow 1m, 3f, Hilpurton Lane & Yerbury Street WEBB William 4m, 3f, Hilpurton Lane & Yerbury Street WEBB Hester 3m, 6f, Studley & Little Trowle WEBB Jas 2m, 1f, Mortimer Street WEBB John 3m 4f Staverton Tything ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Sue - re Telling - Sorry, there were no Tellings listed for Swindon. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Michael - re Lewis - Sorry, but I don't have records for anywhere other than the parishes listed at the start of this thread. -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Macbev

Macbev Report 16 May 2005 01:51

Thanks Sarah. One boot to lick, anyway. Regards, Beverley

Karen

Karen Report 16 May 2005 06:02

Hi Sarah, Thankyou these were the exact Curtis families that I needed, :o)

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 May 2005 07:45

Hi Sarah Many thanks Maureen

Wifey

Wifey Report 16 May 2005 17:48

HI Sarah, Thank you so much!! Paula x

Elizabeth Anne

Elizabeth Anne Report 16 May 2005 21:20

Hi Sarah, what a wonderful offer. I am searching for the following families from Horningsham: Hale Biffen - elizabeth Harris- Daniel, Thomas, Elizabeth, Joseph Dunford- Rebekah (rebecca) Barnes-Mary Anne Thank you so much. Elizabeth