Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can any1 find a death record for my nan plz?

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 23 Aug 2006 21:10

Hi, Can any one help me find a death record for my nan Gertrude Patricia Atkin or Coulstock, maidan name Herbert, im dont know when or where she died but around the Ware, Hertfordshire area maybe, was married there twice and born there. My dad is buried with her i think and in order to find him i need my nans death cert. thanx joanne

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Aug 2006 21:12

Some idea of when she died would help - if its before 1910 she might be on Freebmd. After 1910 its a boring slog through the death register indexes unless she died between 1984-2004 in which case she might be in Ancestry's computerised list. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Aug 2006 21:13

Your nan's death cert won't tell you where she was buried. Do you have your dad's name and when/where he died?

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 23 Aug 2006 21:20

nell she was born 1920 and then married in 1939 and again in 1949, my dad died in 1972 in hertford at welwyn garden city, at the hospital queen elizabeth ll. dads name was frederick thomas coulstock. i aint got a clue when she died but was told she died from child birth, last kid was born 1952. joanne

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 23 Aug 2006 21:24

Joanne Its a vast task to trawl through thte BMD's with no real time line as such or any real idea which surname her death will be registered under............ and whilst its FREE on Ancestry at the website I gave you the other day you could make the most of it by having a look yourself.......... I think at some stage Ancestry will change it from being a FREE website to pay as you go such as 1837 website. Much happiness debi

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Aug 2006 21:28

Well, you can go through the death indexes and find her - though it will be a long slog. But as I said before, the death cert won't tell you where she is buried. If you think it is in Ware, then you can contact the Ware council - they probably have a website - and get a list of cemeteries and then ask them if they have a record of your father's burial. nell

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 23 Aug 2006 21:31

deborah, ive been looking at ancestry, thats all i ever do, ive looked at genes and used up 100 credits in a week lol, so i have been looking but as im new im probably not searching aswell as someone whos been doing this for a long time.

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 23 Aug 2006 21:37

helen im not being funny ok but ive been searching for my dads grave now since i was 16, im now 33, ive not long found out who his mum is etc got her cert and searching her up, ive rang loads of cemetrys all over hertford, ive rang funeral homes, ive even been to some and now even emailing and looking on net, ive found 1 cemetry in ware and ive spoken to them and they say without my nans details they cant help me. sorry if im coming across rude i dont mean to be its just that i want to go to my dads grave and finally be with him so to speak but not in a morbid way. joanne

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Aug 2006 21:52

Joanne I understand! Though I don't know why they can't find where your father is buried as he would be in the register? Wish I could be more helpful. nell

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 23 Aug 2006 22:01

helen, thats ok sorry if i was rude but its so frustrating and yes you would think they would have records anyway, my family aswell dont help with thism matter. joanne

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Aug 2006 22:21

Joanne, I've looked at the death index from 1952 to 1956 under Atkin and Coulstock and there isn't a death registered for her in those years. If the child born in 1952 survived, do you think Gertrude could have died having a later child who did not survive - in which case the death might have been later than you think. Kath. x

Laurie

Laurie Report 23 Aug 2006 22:54

Hi joanne, Firstly do you know what Religion your parents were if they were? What you need to do is get a list of all cemetries and crematoriums in Ware. Cemetries are in sections you will have all Catholics buried in the same area, C of E the same, Muslims the same etc etc If they were Religious then you need to check relevant Churches first of all. Contact the Priest, Vicar etc Cause they would more than likely be buried in a Church cemetry if there was room at the time of their deaths. (if your mother went first or vice versa that wont make a difference if a double plot was bought at the time of the first death). All Churches will have records. If they are not at any of the church burial sites then you need to contact that councils Cemetries department. They will be able to give you the advice you need on how to find out which cemetry they are buried in. Obviously if they were Religious at all it will help the council narrow down where they need to look to help you find them. Lastly if they were cremated firstly check with the local crematorium as they should have a list of who is there. If not then check with the council or the Church to see if their ashes were interred there. I hope this helps you out, you wont be able to find these details out on a death cert. All the details that will give you is how they died, etc. Laurie

Kath

Kath Report 23 Aug 2006 23:03

Hi Do you have the death cert for your Father? Who registered his death, was it a family member? If so then more than likely that member of the family will know where he was buried/cremated. Kath

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 23 Aug 2006 23:09

hi kathleen, ive been looking at ancestry for few hours now, so much si i feel sick lol and ive searched her maidan name herbert, married names coulstock and atkin and out of all them found just 1 but was to early. i dont know if last child survived etc... maybe hthat 1 did and she went on to have another then died. joanne

Kath

Kath Report 23 Aug 2006 23:10

Joanne Tell me exactly what you have looked at and i'll help you search hun Kath x

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 23 Aug 2006 23:13

laurie, thanx for all the info. as for religion im not sure but my mum is c of e, in other words nothing lol but dont know bout the rest of family. ive emailed today so many councils, funeral homes and even the hospital where my dad died, ive also rang a few places. ive had alot of responce back but still no luck. joanne

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 23 Aug 2006 23:16

kath, yes i have death cert but where it says informant its a coroner of hitchin that done it, no member of family mentioned on it, thats a sore subject and no one in family will help, nice eh. joanne

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 23 Aug 2006 23:19

kath, ive looked at ancestry for a gertrude patricia herbert or atkin or coulstock from birth 1920 up to 1983 and found nothing but 1 but that was to early as person died in 1931 think it said, ive looked at freebmds. joanne

Kath

Kath Report 23 Aug 2006 23:20

JOanne As you are your fathers next of kin (unless you have older brother/sister) you can apply for your fathers medical records, and to the coroner for the report on his death. I am in the process of doing this with my Grandfather. They should in theory send you out some forms to fill in etc. My Grandfather died in 76 and they say they still have records going that far back so the chances are they have your dad's Kath x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Aug 2006 23:20

If the coroner was the informant, that just means that there was probably an inquest (if there is an inquest the coroner always registers the death). What was the cause of death given? Was it something (like an accident) that might have been reported in the local newspaper at the time? Kath. x