Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Towans Hayle Cornwall

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ian

ian Report 20 May 2022 10:36

Hi All, This is a property not a person. Looking for info on 'Tiranoque' The Towans Hayle Cornwall. I t was lived in from 1952-1956 thats all i know. Many thanks

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 May 2022 10:49

Ian - google google google, then try newspapers for that time. Use google street view to see if it is stil there - possibly not with that name.

That is all anyone else can do.

ian

ian Report 20 May 2022 11:29

done all that no trace

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 May 2022 11:32

The Towans is a three-mile stretch of beach

"Tiranoque" sounds like a corruption or mis-spelling of Tir Nan Og.
Is it a house, hotel, what?
Was it actually in Hayle? Or one of the neighbouring villages?
Do you know the name of the street (if any)?

Nothing coming up on Google - I expect the name has been changed.

Where did you come across the name?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 May 2022 12:08

Postcode Finder comes up with 9 addresses in UPTON Towans.

A lot can change in 70 years!!

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 20 May 2022 12:52

Googling shows that there were seaside 'chalets' of various forms and sizes , some more like cottages, from c 1920s onwards, including on a site named Riviere Towans.

I'm wondering if it is, or was, one of those, especially given the slightly fanciful name.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 May 2022 12:59

Try posting on the "Nostalgic Hayle" Facebook page:

https://en-gb.facebook.com/groups/1389945024615259/

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 May 2022 13:19

If it was a beach chalet, it will almost certainly have been demolished, as the shoreline along The Towans beach area seems to be lined with enormous chalet and caravan parks nowadays, per Streetview.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 20 May 2022 13:30

Apparently there are still some old ones existing, and others were more like bungalows and cottages, but I agree, it may be long gone, which is why I said 'if it is, or was"

I agree with AG, it's probably gone, it would certainly explain why it is untraceable today.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 20 May 2022 14:12

I've found a 'Tiranogue' in the 1939 register. I can't c & p as on my tablet, but it seems to be located at Hayle Towans, Windy Ridge, Hale, West Penrith R D, Cornwall.

If you look for

Emma Gudge born Dec 1877 in Cornwall, it comes up on FMP. Tiranogue is not on the transcript, but if you look at the register image, it looks like Emma, a hotel proprieties, is living there. Windy ridge is listed higher up the page, plus individual dwelling names, and Taylor's Tearooms, Tearoom bungalow, General Store and cafe

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 May 2022 14:16

As Ian has 'done all that without trace' I wonder what he expects anyone to do.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 May 2022 14:23

FMP have made a complete mess of the transcription of the one referred to by Kucinta

they have transcribed each resident separately - there's a family named Hawkins at the same address as Emma Gudge

However, Tiranogue is Schedule 289, with a 'dash' where the occupier's name should be recorded - Gudge etc come under Schedule 290

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 May 2022 14:30

Good find, Kucinta!

However, Emma Gudge and household seem to be next door to Tiranogue, which is vacant.

Emma is in household 290, and Tiranogue is household 289.

Greenbanks (household 288) is also vacant.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 20 May 2022 14:35

Google shows a Windyridge' as 14 Riviere Towans, Hayle TR 27 5AF .

If it is the same Windyridge that was so close to Tiranogue on the 1939 register, it looks like Tiranogue/Tiranoque was indeed part of the Riviere Towans complex.

You can Google (what else!) to find out more about the history of the Riviere Towans site.

EDIT, the name 'Windyridge' might have been recycled, if the 1939 Windyridge has since been demolished, I suspect, as AG suggested, most of the early buildings are long gone. I was just trying to strengthen the link to Riviere Towans, hope I'm not over focusing on that...

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 20 May 2022 14:39

Hi AG & Erica, could see Emma probably wasn't atTiranogue, but likely next door, I worded it badly, but as I couldn't c & p, her details gave a way for others to access the 1939 register image online for themselves, and move around from there, to get a better fix on the location.

I was extremely lucky to spot it early on, as I was just doing a blind browse of Hayle Towans. :-D

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 May 2022 14:42

That area seems to be a big chalet park nowadays, as guessed earlier. (Just to the east of Riviere Towans on Streetview.)

Actually, it probably was a similar thing in 1939 too.
If you look at the previous couple of pages of the Register, you'll see large numbers of empty properties, presumably all beach chalets, with names such as "Small cream hut", The Chalet, Holliday Haunt, Ruffit, Wee Cot, etc.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 20 May 2022 14:48

My gut feeling is that it was on Riviere Towans, or if not, something exceedingly similar

https://www.tomsholidays.co.uk/the-park/our-heritage/

Francis Frith old photos of the area

https://www.francisfrith.com/uk/hayle/photos

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 20 May 2022 16:03

It looks like Tiranogue still existed in 1978, as The West Briton and Cornish Advertiser 9th Nov 1978 mentions a planning application by a Mr G G Phillips of The Stores, Tiranogue, Towan for a garden to be turned onto a children's fair.

Permission was refused for a fair, but granted for a children's play area that would be good for local children as well as holidaymakers' children.

There was a store very close to Tiranogue on the 1939 register, occupied by Mr Bennett Williams. The Frith photos have a possible photo of the store, but you can't really see neighbouring abodes.

In 1949 a Mrs Angela May Pilcher of Tiranogue was charged with drink driving.Cornishman 22nd Dec 1949.

I'll PM snips of articles to Ian in case they are of interest.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 20 May 2022 16:39

I said earlier Windyridge is listed as 14 RiviereTowans TR27 5AF.

I now note that Chy An Mulva, also listed on the same 1939 register page as Tiranogue, is listed as 10 Riviere Towans TR27 5AF.

White Cottage and Beggar's Roost, which were on the next page in the 1939 register are also in TR27 5AF.

So I believe that present postcode area is pretty much where Tiranogue was, at least until c 1978...maybe even now, if name has changed, or just listed as a number?

https://www.192.com/places/tr/tr27-5/tr27-5af/

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 20 May 2022 17:43

There is an article in the West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser dated 2nd Nov 1961, that seems to suggest that Mr G G Phillips aka Gwilliym Gerard Phillips, of The Stores, Tiranogue in the 1978 news article previously mentioned, got off to a rough start with his store.

A Mr Raymond Short of the Post Offices Stores, Hale got an injunction against Mr Phillips and his wife Lorna, preventing them from using a shop they erected on their property called Ciranogue, in 1960, because of a restrictive covenant in the title deeds preventing such use.

The article doesn't make it clear if they built a new store from scratch, or converted the existing building, being unwitting of the restrictions. The article did say Ciranogue not Tiranogue. So not entirely sure if the original building was demolished or not, but suspect it might have been.

Tragically, a 22 yr old Christopher Phillips of The Stores, Hayle Towans, was killed in a traffic accident in 1983 with two other young men.West Briton and Cornwall Adveftiser 21 Feb 1983.

Snips pmed.

EDIT, Sadly Gwilym Phillips died at the end of 1983, aged just 61. He is described as 'known as the man who ran the holiday shop', and apparently 'Gerry' was known for his witty conversation ,and for the 'sayings' posted up in the busy shop.

Snip sent.