Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SEARCHING FOR ALFRED HOWELL MAITLAND B 1840

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosie

Rosie Report 24 Jun 2012 15:20

Hi,

I am looking for the elusive Alfred Howell Maitland and wonder if anyone can find him other than on his marriage record.

Alfred Howell Maitland married Louisa Adelaide Horneman Kemp (my side of the family ) on 28th April 1860, Westminster - as found in the London Marriages and Banns Records.

Alfred's father is recorded as John Howell. His occupation is the same as Alfred and Louisa's father Thomas Reginald but I cant make out what it says - I thought it was Gent but I dont think it is. It could be something to do with the legal service as Louisa's family were all in that line.

The witnesses are not clear but one looks like a Kate Maitland - if anyone could have a look and see what they think I would be very grateful.

In 1861 Louisa is back with her parents Thomas and Esther, married but using her maiden name Kemp and no sign of Alfred.

In 1871 Louisa married Robert Hopke Reed and is recorded as a widow and signs her name Louisa Adelaide Horneman Maitland

I can not find any records of any type for Alfred Howell Maitland apart from the marriage to Louisa. I have looked for a marriage for his parents using a combination of names with Howell and Maitland and second marriage maybe for his mother to a Maitland. I found a John and Lydia Howell in 1851 and Lydia a widow in 1861 with son Alfred who would be the right age for A H M.

I don't know where John got the surname Maitland from - any ideas?

I would appreciate any help in trying to find Alfred - he just doesn't exist before or after his marriage. There is no birth record for him and no death. HELP!!

Any info would be fantastic - he must be there somewhere

Kind regards

Rosie

Christina(Lancashire)

Christina(Lancashire) Report 24 Jun 2012 15:50

It just looks like Esq. for all of them.

Found their marriage in the 19th century newspapers. I will type it out as I can't copy & paste it.

Christina(Lancashire)

Christina(Lancashire) Report 24 Jun 2012 15:57

FOREIGN MAIL PACKET LIST .
The Morning Post (London, England), Wednesday, May 02, 1860; pg. 8; Issue 26949.

MAITLAND - KEMP. On the 28th ult, at St Saviors Church, Clifton Gardens, by the Rev T Hopkins, M A incumbent, assisted by the Rev W P Wright, M A, chaplain to the forces and chaplain to H.R.H, the Duke of Cambridge, Capt. Alfred Howell Maitland, to Louise Adelaide Horneman, eldest daughter of Thomas Reginald Kemp, of Calton Villas, Maidavale, Esq.

Rosie

Rosie Report 24 Jun 2012 16:02

Thanks for that - can you make out the witnesses?

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 24 Jun 2012 16:02

I think it says Esquire as well.

This death is the only Maitland in the time scale there are several for John Howell

Deaths Jun 1860 (>99%)
MAITLAND Alfred John Islington 1b 149

Rosie

Rosie Report 24 Jun 2012 16:15

Its difficult to know for sure isn't it but it would fit in with Louisa being back with her parents in 1861 as she was only 19 at the time of her marriage so very young. I just cant find the Maitland connection if his father was Howell.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 24 Jun 2012 16:23

One of the witnesses looks like Julia Alicia G***sback , another William?? R Kemp and Kate ****** Maitland

Christina(Lancashire)

Christina(Lancashire) Report 24 Jun 2012 16:33

Julia Alicia Griesbach?

Rosie

Rosie Report 24 Jun 2012 16:34

Brilliant - Reginald Kemp is Louisa's brother and I will look for a Kate Maitland - thanks :-D

Rosie

Rosie Report 24 Jun 2012 16:42

Got it - will look for her also - thanks

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 24 Jun 2012 18:04

Perry’s Bankrupt Gazette - Saturday 10 July 1858
"Assignees of Bankrupt's Estates"

HUGHES G - Boot and Shoe manufacturer. To Alfred Howell Maitland, Gentleman, Blackfriars Road.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 24 Jun 2012 18:09

The fact that Alfred is described as Captain in the various news items and they were married by a forces chaplain demotes a military family that may have been out of the country before the marriage.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 24 Jun 2012 18:14

It looks like Alfred was in business with Thomas Reginald Kemp.

There are numerous adverts around 1859 for the "General Discount Company Ltd". It had two offices in London and capital of £100,000.

He and Mr Kemp were on the director's list.

Rosie

Rosie Report 24 Jun 2012 18:18

Great - thank you - thats the lead I was looking for. :-D

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 24 Jun 2012 18:22

Rosie - where was that possible 1861 with mother Lydia?

I found one possible but he was too young ......

Astra

Astra Report 24 Jun 2012 18:28

This one I think

HOWELL, Lydia Head Widow F 44 1817 House Keeper
..., Cambridgeshire VIEW
SMITH, John C Son Unmarried M 24 1837 Chairman
St Martin Outwich, London VIEW
HOWELL, Mary Ann Daughter Unmarried F 22 1839 Office Keeper Man
HOWELL, David J Son Unmarried M 16 1845 Sailor...
HOWELL, Alfred Son M 14 1847 ...Clerk
HOWELL, Alice Daughter F 12 1849 Scholar
BROOKS, Mary A Servant Unmarried F 19 1842 General Servant
Bishopsgate, London VIEW

Piece: 228 Folio: 134 Page: 5 Registration District: London City Civil Parish: St Martin Outwich Municipal Borough: London Address: New City Chambers, Bishopsgate Street, St Martin Outwich, London County: London

HOWELL, John Head Married M 40 1811 Messenger City Chambers
London VIEW
HOWELL, Lydia Wife Married F 32 1819 Messenger's Wife
Yorton, Cambridgeshire VIEW
HOWELL, Mary Ann Daughter Unmarried F 12 1839 Scholar
London VIEW
HOWELL, Alfred Son Unmarried M 10 1841 Scholar
London VIEW
HOWELL, Henry Son Unmarried M 0 (4 MOS) 1851
London VIEW
LACK, Charlotte Servant Unmarried F 17 1834 House Servant
Westminster, Middlesex VIEW

Piece: 1532 Folio: 8 Page: 9 Registration District: City of London Civil Parish: Saint Martin Outwich Municipal Borough: London Address: 121, New City Chambers, Bishopsgate Street, Saint Martin Outwich, London County: Middlesex

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 24 Jun 2012 18:32

That's the one I found - but that Alfred is only 14. He couldn't have been married "of full age" in 1860!

Astra

Astra Report 24 Jun 2012 18:47

No that's what I thought. Even if he was born 1841 as in the 1851 census he would still have only been 19

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 24 Jun 2012 18:54

Lydia's husband John Howell died 07/04/1860, there is probate for him so if this was the right John Howell wouldn't it have said deceased on Alfred marriage reference.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 24 Jun 2012 18:55

Just to eliminate him, this is the baptism for Alfred son of John and Lydia:

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906
Name: Alfred Howell
Record Type: Baptism
Estimated Birth Date: abt 1846
Baptism Date: 27 Dec 1846
Father's Name: John Howell < Messenger
Mother's name: Lydia Howell
Parish or Poor Law Union: St Botolph without Bishopsgate
Borough: City of London
Register Type: Parish Registers

Address - 121 Bishopsgate Street Within.