Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 Census

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeffery

Jeffery Report 13 Jan 2010 19:53

My great grandfather Freedman Flamberg on 6 June 1901 lived at Frostie Mansions Whitechapel London. This is shown on the birth certificate of his daughter born on that day. However a search of the 1901 Census does not reveal his name or the building. I believe the Census was taken in March 1901. Has anyone any idea where I can go from here? Is it possible that the online Census records are incomplete?

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 13 Jan 2010 19:57

can you give more info on his date and place of birth, his wife's name and date and place of birth and any other children born pre 1901 and we can have a look

Andrew

Andrew Report 13 Jan 2010 20:01

England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-2005
about Freedman Flamberg
Name: Freedman Flamberg
Death Registration Month/Year: 1937
Age at death (estimated): 77
Registration district: Poplar
Inferred County: London
Volume: 1c
Page: 411

Andy

Jeffery

Jeffery Report 13 Jan 2010 20:03

He appears in the 1911 Census and I know that he arrived from Poland about 1894 with his wife Deborah, children Julius, Zalick (Jack) Simon James (Jimmy) and Annie born on the ship(1894) bringing them to the UK from either Hamberg or Bremen.

I have searched the 1901Census but can find no record of them.

♥Julia♥

♥Julia♥ Report 13 Jan 2010 20:06

These are the only ones I can see on 1911, obvious;y his son

FLAMBERG JULIUS M 1883 28 Mile End Old Town London
FLAMBERG MORRIS M 1909 2 Mile End Old Town London
FLAMBERG RACHEL F 1885 26 Mile End Old Town London

Jeffery

Jeffery Report 13 Jan 2010 20:07

Thanks Andrew

I already have the details of his death in 1937 and although his age is shown as 77, this is not correct as it should be 87as the 1911 Census shows he age as 60.

Barbara

Barbara Report 13 Jan 2010 20:31

I have been through from 1 to 30 for Frostie Mansions Whitechapel and no luck

Jeffery

Jeffery Report 13 Jan 2010 20:44

Thanks Barbara

It's possible then that he moved between 31 March 1901 and 6 June 1901 to Frostie Mansions. With a wife and four children at least and another on the way by the time of the 1901 Census he decided to move to a bigger place in Frostie Mansions.

Many thanks for all your efforts.

Jeffery

Jeffery Report 14 Jan 2010 14:58

Hello again Barbara

I see that you went through the records of Frostie Mansions Whitechapel. How did you do that? When I searched the 1901 Census under street/place it came up blank.

The reason why I ask is that is possible that Freedman Flamberg changed his name and that he was using another name at that time. I have several possible names.

Samspade

Samspade Report 14 Jan 2010 15:03

Perhaps if you put his 'other names' on here some-one may be able to find them?

Barbara

Barbara Report 14 Jan 2010 17:04

Hi Jeffrey
I just put in the surname Hamberg and whitechapel came up went into the hamberg name and then clicked on to view image and found they lived in Frostie Masions I then found the first entry by using the arrow's at the top of the image page .
I hope this helps
Barbara

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 14 Jan 2010 17:33

I'm confused. Did Barbara find them by accident using HAMBERG instead of FLAMBERG?

Is this them??
1901 Ancestry (I'm not dealing with the transcription errors!)
Name: Monassch Hamberg
Estimated birth year: abt 1851
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Janie
Where born: Rus Foreign Subject
Civil parish: Whitechapel
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
County/Island: London
Street Address:8 Frostie?? Mansions

Registration district: Whitechapel
Sub-registration district: Mile End New Town
ED, institution, or vessel: 7
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 338
Household Members:
Name Age
Monassch Hamberg 50 Occ:Military tailor
Janie Hamberg 36
Judah Hamberg 19
Lilly Hamberg 13
Tinha Hamberg 12
Hannah Hamberg 9
Moses Hamberg 6
Samue Hamberg 3
Missie Garten 19
Chas Kaplin 22
Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 302; Folio: 102; Page: 57

Maureen

PS-That's gotta be FROSTIC,not FROSTIE!!

Jeffery

Jeffery Report 14 Jan 2010 17:46

No, Monassch Hamberg is not the person I'm looking for. I have seen this entry.

I'm looking for Freedman Flamberg who was married to Deborah. On 20 July 1901 he registered the birth of his daughter Esther and gave his name as Freedman Flamberg and address as 8 Frostie Mansions Whitechapel. Now if the 1901 Census was taken on 31 March 1901 why is he not shown on the Census, unless he didn't fill in the form, the original records were too bad to copy or were destroyed or he went under another name. I believe that his name was Pflaumenbaum, which in German means Plum tree. However I've searched the 1901 Census with all sorts of combinations of the spelling including changing letters.

I was interested when Barbara said that she searched 1 -30 Frostie Mansions Whitechaple. I've not been to access this record.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 14 Jan 2010 17:54

What are you using? Ancestry or GR or...?

I'm still not convinced that isn't them,by the way...

Maureen

Barbara

Barbara Report 14 Jan 2010 17:57

Hi Maureen
I was looking for Flamberg and thought of different spellings and put in Hamberg. There are a few Hamberg in Whitechapel and when I clicked on view image found they lived in Frostie Mansions so was able to go through all the people living there
Regards
Barbara

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 14 Jan 2010 18:02

Good thinking!! And well done!

Maureen

Barbara

Barbara Report 14 Jan 2010 18:11

is this them in 1911
HOUSEHOLD HAMBERG ALEC M 1885 26 Whitechapel London
HOUSEHOLD HAMBERG ANNIE F 1893 18 Whitechapel London
HOUSEHOLD HAMBERG BERTRAM M 1908 3 Whitechapel London
HOUSEHOLD HAMBERG DEBORAH F 1868 43 Whitechapel London
HOUSEHOLD HAMBERG ESTHER F 1901 10 Whitechapel London
HOUSEHOLD HAMBERG FREEDMAN M 1851 60 Whitechapel London
HOUSEHOLD HAMBERG JACK M 1887 24 Whitechapel London
HOUSEHOLD HAMBERG MORRIS M 1895 16 Whitechapel London
HOUSEHOLD HAMBERG SARAH F 1886 25 Whitechapel London
HOUSEHOLD HAMBERG SILVIA F 1910 10 MONTHS Whitechapel London

Jeffery

Jeffery Report 14 Jan 2010 18:14

Hi Maureen

I'm using GR. No it is definitely not them. His was born in 1860, his wife was Deborah and his children were Jack, Jim, Annie, Morris, Samuel and Esther. The family of Monassch Hamberg are wife Janie, children, Judah, Lilly, Tinha, Hannah, and Moses.

The problem with the 1901 Census is that the enumerators copied the details from original forms and the writing could have been difficult to read, hence names could have been inadvertently shown incorrectly. I have found this on another occasion. My hope was to look up 8 Frostie Mansions if it was show on the 1901 Census and see who lived there. As I have said Barbara managed to access the address, but I've failed to do so.

Still can't access Frostie Mansions.

Regards

Jeff

Jeffery

Jeffery Report 14 Jan 2010 18:21

Yes Barbara it's Freedman Flamberg shown on the 1911 Census. I've a print out of the copy of the original census form. Not written by Freedman as he could not write his name; he signed the form with his mark. I suspect that you found him by looking up Hamberg as I did. But if you look closely at the handwriting you will see the the 'F' and 'L' run together to make what seems to be an 'H'. Here the enumerator transcribed it as Hamberg instead of Flamberg. You will also note the in the signature box it is clearly written Flamberg. I have raised this point with the 1911 Census people.

Regards

Jeff

Barbara

Barbara Report 14 Jan 2010 18:30

Hi Jeffery
The Hambergs on the 1901 census lived a No 8.
Again it could be a miss transcription and if you compare the dates of birth of the father and mother and children with the 1911 census they are very close. I think that in the 1911 census they may have changed their Christian name to make them more English.
I use Ancestry for my research
I hope this helps to throw some light on this family
Regards
Barbara

Maureen could you let me know what you think