Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cost of viewing 1911 for those who don't yet know

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Jan 2009 18:02

I have seen a few requests for searches , obviously from people who do not realise the costs involved, thought this might help :)

To view one transcript -=10 credits
To view one original image - 30 credits

to purchase 60 credits -£6.95

60 credits - £0.12 per credit
£24.95 - 280 credits - £0.09
£49.95 - 600 credits - £0.08

This is why people cannot do look ups as yet, the cost is prohibitive . you are asking someone to spend over £1. or £3 a time on your search.

This will of course become cheaper...but means a long wait for knowledge if you cannot afford these prices at the moment .

Happy hunting

Rose x

Vera

Vera Report 17 Jan 2009 18:08

Good One Rose....as you said...people don't realise just how expensive it is.

Regards Vera

Samantha

Samantha Report 17 Jan 2009 18:08

Thanks Rose

Why am I not surprised it is so expensive?!!! It seems a shame that something that is for the people of the Uk isn't uploaded by the Government at a nominal cost.

Sam

Sarahh

Sarahh Report 17 Jan 2009 18:12

I was hoping my findmypast year subscription would have covered it but i have to buy credits still for it.

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 17 Jan 2009 18:14

Sarah, FMP state on the census search part of FMP that the 1911 will be coming in 2009.

Samantha

Samantha Report 17 Jan 2009 18:15

Hi

I didn't know that you could view 1911, where do you go to veiw that?

Why are we unable to view further then that?

Samantha

Sue C

Sue C Report 17 Jan 2009 18:18

http://www.1911census.co.uk/

You can search here, but to view the results you need to buy credits.

Samantha

Samantha Report 17 Jan 2009 18:23

so 1911 is now as far as we can go?

samantha

Darklord

Darklord Report 17 Jan 2009 18:26

For now yes. After the 1921 census( due 2021) there isn't one until 1951.

Darklord

Samantha

Samantha Report 17 Jan 2009 18:30

why is there such a long wait?

Samantha

Samantha Report 17 Jan 2009 18:33

thankyou

samantha

Darklord

Darklord Report 17 Jan 2009 18:34

The 1921 is bound by the hundred year rule as was this the 1911. the reason why we he have had it early is by lobbying and the fact that it was a different act of parliment than the 1921 returns. 1921 is strictly 100 years.
They wanted 100 years for privacy reasons mainly.

Darklord

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Jan 2009 18:36

Hi Amokavid.

I saw you had mentioned it on the board and no you weren't rude at all lol.

So much publicity has been given on TV etc without mention of how much it costs that it comes as a shock to people when they work out just how much they might have to spend . I was lucky, my names were fairly unusual and confined to specific areas of London .

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 17 Jan 2009 19:41

Hi All,
It's frightining I have spent £60 on it since December when I had the invitation to view. Couldn't resist though I found a lot out but it has raised a lot of questions as well.
Gill x

PME

PME Report 17 Jan 2009 22:19

Good post.

I do though find it shocking people don't take time to look into costs and just assume its part of a subscription package.

trebor

trebor Report 18 Jan 2009 11:18

n

Moody Blue

Moody Blue Report 18 Jan 2009 12:20

nudge

PME

PME Report 18 Jan 2009 13:22

nudge

Julia

Julia Report 18 Jan 2009 14:11

Amokavid - I saw your post the other day, which I did not think was rude in anyway at all,but I was unable to answer at the time. Yes I agree with you entirely about the cost and people asking for help. I have had problems accessing this census,but through my own misunderstanding,(not very computer savvy yet), but because of the costs involved, would not dream of asking anyone to do a look up for me. I am sending for credits tomorrow,pension day, and will have to be content until they arrive. At least it has given me time to familiarise myself on how to use the site properly.
Anyway, lets all hope it gets cheaper as we go along.
Julia in Derbyshire

Julia

Julia Report 18 Jan 2009 15:04

Hello Cornish Suzie - Yes I understand what you are saying, but I always 'Send Off' for my credits, subs., etc to all sites, as I do not have the correct type of bank account. This suits me fine, and works well for me.
Glad you had good luck, I hope for that also.
Julia in Derbyshire