Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ADVISE NEEDED PLEASE

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪*

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪* Report 19 Oct 2008 21:00

My grandmother, Gertrude Laura Roe, a widow, had children with a Mr King we believe lived on Norfolk Street, Norwich in the 1920's
Im not sure if it is possible but Is there any way I can find out who this Mr King was? He would be my grandfather

Diane

Diane Report 19 Oct 2008 21:03

Do you know who the first child was? and when born?

Joan

Joan Report 19 Oct 2008 21:04

Hi Janice
Are you saying that your grandma wasn't married to Mr King ?
Joan

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪*

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪* Report 19 Oct 2008 21:08

No she wasnt married to Mr King.
The first child was Ronald Edward Roe born at 39 Norfolk Street, Norwich 27th April 1920.
She was still married to Charles until he died in 1921.
He had been paralized & was in hospital since 1918.

Joan

Joan Report 19 Oct 2008 21:14

hi Janice
I think I see.
Was Mr King named on the cert for Ronald ?

Joan

Joan Report 19 Oct 2008 21:19

Hi Janice, there seems to be three other Roe births with mmn Blake after Ronald. All have middle initial K. Are these connected ?
Joan

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪*

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪* Report 19 Oct 2008 21:19

Joan, Ronald has no father entred.
My mother, Joy was born in 1923 & she has the middle name of King. My aunt Irene & uncle Stanley (twins) were born in 1926, their middle names are King & my aunt Beryl born in 1930, her middle name is King. They were all told their father was her dead husband & it is only now we have found out different.

Janice

Janice Report 19 Oct 2008 21:26

Think you need to look at the electoral roll for Norwich for those years.

Joan

Joan Report 19 Oct 2008 21:28

I thought that may be the case Janice. Do you have your mothers birth cert ?
If there is no fathers name on it, I would suggest you look at electoral rolls for the period around the births. If you have the addresses where your mum and aunts and uncle were born then a search of that address in those years will give you who was eligible to vote from that house.
Good luck
Joan

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪*

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪* Report 19 Oct 2008 21:29

My cousin has tried this but she hasnt come up with anything.
My cousin lives in Norwich & has been trying to help find him.

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪*

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪* Report 19 Oct 2008 21:32

They were all born at 39 Norfolk Street & my mother says there was never a man living with them.
Mum is the only one who knows about her father, she only has one sipling left living & her children dont want her to know.
Mum was glad I told her because she thought she was going mad, she knew there had never been a man in the house.

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪*

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪* Report 19 Oct 2008 21:34

Joan, we think Mr King could have been married as there is no father entered on any of the certificates.

Janice

Janice Report 19 Oct 2008 21:38

I've just looked at all the Kings in the phone book in Norwich in the 20s and none of them are in Norfolk Rd.

Janice

Janice Report 19 Oct 2008 21:40

Does your mum remember any male friends? "Uncle" whatever?

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪*

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪* Report 19 Oct 2008 21:41

Thanks Janice, my cousin said her dad said he lived on Norfolk Street. Her dad was my mothers older brother born in 1908, but my cousin said he never liked to talk about it so he could have just said that to get rid of her.
My mother said they were family friends of some Kings in Ashby Road, is that possible.

Joan

Joan Report 19 Oct 2008 21:43

Oh that's sad Janice. Maybe there is something, in the fact that the children carried the name King.
I honestly don't know how you will find out then, if Mr king wasn't on any of the electoral rolls.
Does your mum not remember him or anything about it ?
Joan

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪*

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪* Report 19 Oct 2008 21:46

Mum said her mother told them all that their father was her dead husband. She told them he died in 1931 after her youngest daughter was born when in fact he died in 1921.
Mum never remembered a man at all. She was very confused because of her mother telling her he was there.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Oct 2008 21:53

What about when the children married?
Was a Mr King invited along and maybe was a witness?

Doesn't prove anything, but might be a clue.
What about following up the 'family friends' clue of the King family in Ashby Road.

Gwyn

Janice

Janice Report 19 Oct 2008 21:54

When your gran died, did a Mr King benefit?

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪*

*♫*♥*Janice*♥*♪* Report 19 Oct 2008 21:59

I did try Gwyn but without a first name I got nowhere.
In 1921 Gertrudes father was living at that address but in the April her father gassed himself by putting his head in the oven. The children knew nothing about that either, not even the older ones.