Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Carter/Kimberley (1)

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 1 Mar 2009 08:24

Know that daughter Mariann Ivy Elizabeth Kimberley was born in 1884.

Penny

Penny Report 1 Mar 2009 08:33

Daughter birth cert will tell you mothers maiden name.

why do you think they married in Aston?

1884 her birth
Kimberley Mariann Ivy E W. Derby 8b 594

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 1 Mar 2009 08:42

Hi Minnie, Thank you for your reply.

Info I have on the daughter comes from Free BMD Birth Index. Mariann Ivy E Kimberley, Year of Registration 1884, First quarter. District West Derby, County Lancashire. Volume 8b, Page 594.

Place of birth is given as Liverpool on her death certificate transcript.

Penny

Penny Report 1 Mar 2009 08:44

Before you do that - what other children did they have?

where & when?

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 1 Mar 2009 08:47

I don't know they married in Aston. Just searched through 64 references to Joseph Kimberley at 1 credit per reference. Decided to look at the time just before the daughter's birth. Within a year or two as the most logical time span. Could have been any number of Joseph Kimberleys.

Penny

Penny Report 1 Mar 2009 08:48

Good heaven! use FREEBMD!

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

yOu can faff about for hours for FREE!

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 1 Mar 2009 08:50

Absolutely no idea. Know Marianne Ivy Elizabeth Kimberley married Charles Edward Carter around 1909 and emigrated to Australia.

Searching back to her parents Joseph and Marianne Kimberley.

Don't even know if Joseph and Marianne (mum) emigrated with them.

Penny

Penny Report 1 Mar 2009 08:55

Well, yes it does, but its free, and you can do it yourself for absolutely no outlay.

your best shot would be to try 1891 & 1901census next - see if you can spot them, and find out where her mother was born ( and when)

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 1 Mar 2009 09:00

Thank you. Census will show occupation of father won't it?

Penny

Penny Report 1 Mar 2009 09:01

should do - I have been having a look I cant see them for looking, so if you are paying for credits hold fire.

I cannot even see her marrying Mr carter!

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 1 Mar 2009 09:31

I have CE Carter and MIE Carter, nee Kimberley burial details. I have estimated the time line of events based on the transcript of death certificate for MIE Carter (Kimberley).

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 1 Mar 2009 09:58

I've found Charles Edward Carter Marriage 1907 Fulham. Death Certificate MIE Carter says she was married in London. I've worked out that Fulham is closest to London of all the choices. Volume page is 1a 812. Which won't tell me anything other than CE Carter was married at that time and place.

Irish Gel

Irish Gel Report 1 Mar 2009 12:06

Hi JustVal, Im in Kent and we have an excellent archives centre here where we are allowed to use computers free of charge..even Ances....is free....maybe worth checking your area for such a facility? anyway good luck in your search.

Penny

Penny Report 1 Mar 2009 14:04

Hang on a minute Val.

That Charles Edward Carter married 1907 Fulham.

now you have found the name, you need to click on the number in Red at the end, to go to the page

Charles edward did indeed marry in 1907 in Fulham, but he married either
LEES Nellie or
THISELTON Valerie Rosa
-----------------------------

had you found Marianne Ivy Elizabeth Kimberley on that page, then yes, you'd have found the marriage, as it is i dont think you have.

Penny

Penny Report 1 Mar 2009 21:08

Something good did at least come out of today then.

Add freebmd to your favorites if you haven't already done so

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 20 Mar 2009 08:14

RESTARTING THREAD- Today is Friday 20 Mar 2009.

Picks up corner of mat and sweeps old information under it. Stands up, stretches, smiles and starts again.

First step - restart old thread.

Hi, My name is Aunty. I am currently researching my OH's family history. Looking at the Carter/Kimberley names. England to Australia.

I have just lost my ongoing thread. Not clever enough to know how I managed to do that.

I could not imagine that the devil had a hand in it, and the other bloke is far too busy, so it has to be my fault.

No, I haven't lost all your hard work and information. I printed off the first two and a bit screens the other day (10 pages of info, suggestions, hints etc). Just lost the last bit. Yeah , sorry EvieBeavie lost that bit where you asked me "WHAT!!"

I did go back and search in the correct place and found all the Kimberley names. Found Mariann Ivy Elizabeth Kimberley's parents marriage. So much easier with MIE's birth certificate.

Received some more transcripts this afternoon. Opens more doors and slams others closed.

Be back soon.

Val

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 20 Mar 2009 10:34

Makes less sense than ever (entries in brackets are my comments)

What I have is:

Birth Certificate:
Marianne Ivy Elizabeth Kimberley born 25/1/1884, West Derby Municipal Lancaster.
Father - Alfred George Kimberley, Mother - Elizabeth Kimberley nee Dickinson
Occupation of father - Equestrian.
Address of informant A.G. Kimberley, father, 6 Marsden St, West Derby 8/2/1884.

(Have found marriage of MIE mother and father Elizabeth Dickinson and Alfred George Kimberley, June 1883 at Edmonton 3a 351 )

Death certificate:
Mariann Ivy Elizabeth Carter 12 Mar 1947 Aged 63
(Date of birth calculated to 1884)
Name of father - Joseph Kimberley
Occupation of father - Circus clown
mothers maiden name marianne surname not listed.
Informant CE Carter Widower (gives same address as last address of MIE etc)
Where born Liverpool, England
Time in Colony/State: 38 years in NSW
Place married London, England.
Age at marriage 25.
Spouse: -Charles Edward Carter (Married)
Children of Marriage: (have put in the dates of birth calculated from ages on the death certificate):
Nellie M. 36 (1911) Albert E. 35 (1912), Walter 33 (1914), Mabel G. 32 (1915), Elsie J. 30 (1917), George A. 27(1920), Beatrice IC 25, (1922) Shirley V. 22 (1925), Royal C. 20 (1927).

Marriage Transcription (Nellie is Charles and Mariann's eldest daughter)
Nellie Myra Carter and John Blair Gallaher (probably Gallagher) 26 Dec 1931.
Age 21 (may have done some rounding up to be of age)
Usual Residence Tahmoor
Father Charles Carter
Mother ivy Kimbley
occupation Father - Poultry Farmer.

Marriage Certificates for both Walter Carter and Mabel Grace Carter and their respective spouses. (Certificates which I have queried with NSW BDM and had verified)

Walter married in 1937
Name of father Charles Edward Carter
Occupation of father: Poultry farmer
Name of mother Ivy Elizabeth Kimberly

Mabel Grace married in 1934
Name of father Charles Edward Carter
Occupation of father: Farmer
Name of Mother: Ivy Elizabeth Kimberly

(Marianne Ivy Elizabeth Carter,Royal Charles Carter, Charles Edward Carter are all buried in the same area of the Eastern Suburbs Cemetery, along with Mabel Grace's infant son Robert).

(I know Charles Edward died in 1962. Aged 86. Date of birth therefore 1876. Info on his death reference lists unknown father and mother as Anna)

ALL OF THE ABOVE MAKES SENSE. NICE SMOOTH POOL OF GENETIC INFORMATION. REMEMBER I DO NOT HAVE PARENTS FOR CHARLES CARTER OR A MARRIAGE FOR HIM AND MIE KIMBERLEY.

Let's chuck a brick into the water.

From St Marks Church of England Church records Picton (Tahmoor)

I have the following information. I will summarize. Two children Beatrice and Shirley, no date of birth born to Marian Jean Elizabeth and Charles Edward Carter.
Four children Mabel, Elsie, George, Walter, all with correct dates of birth born to Mary Ivy Elizabeth and Charles Edward Carter.
(Nellie, Albert and Royal are missing from the list).

Occupation of father in all cases Poultry Farmer.

!!!!!!!!!!! This next bit.....

(Suggestion has been made from at least two sources that the following is the same Charles Carter)

Marriage Transcription from NSW BDM (via excellent transcription agent)
Date Married 2 Dec 1920
Groom: Charles Carter
Status Bachelor
Birthplace Leeds, England
Occupation Clerk
Age 37 (date of birth would be 1883)
Father: William Thomas Carter (Deceased)
Mother Margaret Noble Stewart
Occupation of father Coal merchant

Bride: Ivy May McCarthy Spinster
Birthplace Cooma NSW
Age 26. Father Michael Mccarthy, mother Minnie Shaefer. etc etc.

With every scrap of what's left of my brain i can not work out how Charles Edward Carter could marry Ivy May McCarthy in 1920, at the time of the birth of the 6th child on Mariann's death certificate, list all nine children on her death certificate if they were not all hers and his, change his occupation from a farmer to a clerk, take 7 years off his age, still live at the same address as his first "wife" Mariann Ivy Elizabeth Carter, be the informant at her death and be buried next to her when he died 15 years after her death.

Buuuuuut then again it does sound like something a bloke would do!

So that's it. The next task. Death certificate for Charles Edward Carter, birth certificates for the youngest Carters, Beatrice, Shirley and Royal. Check death of Ivy May McCarthy and get her certificate.

I am ready to believe that these are two different Charles Carters. However with my new found caution I will wait till I get the certificates.

Oh yes. And, find where Mariann Ivy Elizabeth Kimberley married Charles Edward Carter and then travelled to Australia in time for their first child Nellie to be born in 1911.

I still think Glockinsplock is a nice name. Val

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 20 Mar 2009 16:00

Ah. I had the other thrread still open when I came in this morning, clicked to refresh it, and it was gone. So I searched and found this.

Did you find Kimberly in 1881 yet? In case not (remember -- just search 1881 for occupation equestrian and he's there):

Name: George Kimberly
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1834
Relation: Visitor
Where born: Birmingham

Condition as to marriage: Widow

Civil Parish: Northampton St Sepulchre
County/Island: Northamptonshire

Street address: 21 Kerr St
Registration district: Northampton

So as I was saying in the other thread -- "equestrian" is a circus performer, and "equestrian comedian" will be a clown. ;)

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 20 Mar 2009 18:53

This is certainly Ivy travelling to Australia, isn't it?

KIMBERLY M I 1884 F 1909 London Australia Sydney

and Charles accompanying her?

CARTER Charles Unknown M 1909 London Australia Sydney

They don't show as accompanying, so possibly they met on board.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 20 Mar 2009 19:02

The Kimberleys in 1901 -- don't know whether you have all this.

Name: Elizabeth Kimberley
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1860
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: Alfred G
Where born: Shresbury, Shropshire, England

Civil Parish: Battersea
Registration district: Wandsworth

Alfred G Kimberley 44
Elizabeth Kimberley 41
Beatrice A M Kimberley 15
Florence E M Kimberley 12
Ada Katherine Kimberley 3