Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hynd, William married Marjory/May Ford 6 Jun 1827

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

loudoniii

loudoniii Report 5 Oct 2010 22:03

Hynd, William Married Marjory/May Ford on 6 Jun1827 in Dundee. Trying to find reliable details of this William Hynd's date and place of birth and particularly names of his parents. Would appreciate any assistance. Thanks, Paul R Hynd

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Oct 2010 22:38

Have you searched in the parish registers at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk?

Apparently I was lucky to find that when my grx3 grfather married in Scotland in 1839 the record gave the groom's occupation and the bride's father's name and occupation (but not the groom's), and an address for them. I gather a lot of parish records from that era don't have as much info, but it would be worth a few credits to see the image.

I guess if you do have the exact date of marriage you've checked the marriage record. ;)

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Oct 2010 22:45

Are you in touch with the person (or are you the person) who has corrected her name in the 1841 census at Ancestry?

Marjorie rather than Mary
She is the daughter of Robert Ford and Jean Foreman born 1811 and married William Hynd on 6 June 1827
Submitted by ___ on 03/12/2008

Name: Mary Hynd
[Marjorie Hynd]
Estimated birth year: abt 1811
Where born: Angus, Scotland

Civil parish: Dundee
County: Angus
Address: St Roque's Lane Scott's Land
Parish Number: 282

Mary Hynd 30
Jean Hynd 8
James Hynd 10
John Hynd 4
William Hynd 8 MO

Had William just died?

loudoniii

loudoniii Report 7 Oct 2010 00:47

Hi Janey ! Thanks for your reply. I have the image of the OPR marriage record - it gives no age or address details, so no clues there. I've searched the OPR records on Scoland's People to no avail. I have a possible death of William Hynd, Weaver, Hilltown in 1834, but this seems to be contradicted by the birth of a son William in 1840 ! Census records are very patchy but the father William Hynd, married 1827, is nowhere to be found in the census records. Son William's birth date of 1840 has no record, but can be calculated back from his age of 22 on marriage in 1862. Or did his mother possibly misstate his father's name to avoid shame of possible illegitimacy ? I hate to think ill of the dead, but hthat may be possible. Still a bit stuck here. Thanks for your input. Best regards, Paul

loudoniii

loudoniii Report 7 Oct 2010 00:56

Yes, I'm in touch with lady who wrote that input, and we are working together on this problem. William could have just died, as outlined above, but still leaves problem of date of birth of son William: 1840 ?!? Hence Theory 2 above. Any ideas gratefully listened to ! Thanks, Paul

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 7 Oct 2010 01:55

By 1851, May has changed her name, but young William's still a Hynd!

Name: William Hynd
Estimated birth year: abt 1840
Relationship: Son
Mother's Name: May Ford
Where born: Dundee, Forfarshire

Town: Dundee
Address: Blacks Croft No 17

May Ford 40
William Hynd 11

James (lodger) and Jane (niece) are off elsewhere and I don't see John.

Oh. Look who Jane is a niece of, though, and not so far away:

Name: Elisabeth Ford
Estimated birth year: abt 1816
Relationship: Head
Where born: Dundee, Forfarshire

Town: Dundee
Address: Blacks Croft No 113

Elisabeth Ford 35
James Guthrie 18
Jane Hynd 18
Euphemia Hamilton 22
Margt Hamilton 11
Isabell Kennedy 61

Was Ford May/Marjorie's name before marriage? Yes, duh, you said that at the beginning. Oh well, no remarriage there then. No chance young William is registered as Ford, I suppose.

loudoniii

loudoniii Report 7 Oct 2010 14:15

Hi Janey ! Thanks for your continuing excellent input on this. Yes, Ford is Marjory / May's maiden name which she seems to be reverting to after she is widowed. I discovered only yesterday from Dundee Cemeteries dept that Marjory / May Ford is interred in our Hynd family grave, but no sign of William. I still think that the William in the Old Howff in 1834 is our man, and that Marjory maybe used her widowed husband's surname to cover up a possible illegitimacy. Or maybe the records are just missing ?!? Best regards, Paul R Hynd

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 7 Oct 2010 14:22

What name did William (Junior) give on his marriage registration for his father please? Did he give father's occupation and was he deceased please?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 7 Oct 2010 14:29

I'm just of the "no stone unturned" bent, which sometimes turns something up, but in this case you've turned 'em all over already. ;)

The ages of the children in 1841 -- 10, 8, 4, 8mo ... there are a couple of gaps there that are a bit more than one sometimes sees, and gaps like that often are an indication of time between partners, as when one sees a blended family.

A death date of 1834 would fit with William being the father of the older two and not the younger two, for sure. Is there a baptism record for John c1837?

On the other hand ... Mary not remarrying might be an indication of estrangement rather than widowhood ... and your William not being in the family plot ... it could suggest he had split when the kids were young. How far back do the graves go, i.e. are there Hynd family burials before Mary?

It's like being on a jury: some factors weigh on one side of the balance, some on the other, and since we weren't there, we can't say what "the truth" is!

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 7 Oct 2010 14:51

3. DAVID HYND - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 30 NOV 1828 Dundee, Angus, Scotland
7. JAMES HYND - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 10 FEB 1831 Dundee, Angus, Scotland

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 7 Oct 2010 15:15

Ah yes, I'd been hunting around the census for posible earlier children. ;)

Name: David Hynd
Estimated birth year: abt 1829
Where born: Angus, Scotland

Address: Cowgate

Janet Lamond 35
Robt Lamond 15
Jane Lamond 4
James Urquhart 15
Lily Urquhart 15
David Hynd 12

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 7 Oct 2010 15:16

deleted, double-posted

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 7 Oct 2010 15:17

Dundee,William could have been lost at sea.Do you have an occupation for him? No Bapts for the older issue ,either illigit or could not afford at the time.

Ellen

loudoniii

loudoniii Report 7 Oct 2010 15:18

Hi Ellen ! Yes. James Hynd is my great grandfather, born on 8 Dec 1830, christened on 10 Feb 1831. David Hynd is my great grand-uncle, born on 30 Nov 1828, christened on 10 Feb 1831. Both are sons of the William Hynd & Marjory / May Hynd marriage of 6 Jun 1827. Thanks for the input, which I appreciate. Best wishes, Paul

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 7 Oct 2010 15:18

Not getting any of the Lamonds on IGI.

Ellen

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 7 Oct 2010 15:23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROBERT LAMONT Pedigree
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 14 OCT 1826

Christening: 26 NOV 1826 Dundee, Angus, Scotland

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: JOHN LAMONT Family
Mother: JANET FORD

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

C112828 1820 - 1835 0993402 Film 6900646 Film

Sheet: 00

loudoniii

loudoniii Report 7 Oct 2010 15:29

6 Jun 1827 marriage record for William gives his occupation as Weaver, which is why I think that the William Hynd, Weaver, Hilltown who was laid to rest in the Old Howff in 1834 is possibly our man. This would explain why no William Hynd of this era in 1841 or later censuses. This interpretation raises questions about William Hynd Junior's father, as he was born around 1840, after the other William's death. Hence my theory that his mother, Marjory / May Ford may have had William Junior illegitimately and used her dead husband's name in official records in order to cover it up. I don't like to think this way, but it is a version that covers the facts.

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 7 Oct 2010 15:29

Could William have been married before
WILLIAM HYND Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth: JUN 1821

Christening: JUN 1821 Dundee, Angus, Scotland

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: WILLM. HYND Family
Mother: MARGT. HUNTER

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:

C112828 1820 - 1835 0993402 Film 6900646 Film

loudoniii

loudoniii Report 7 Oct 2010 15:35

Hi Ellen. That's a possibility, will check it out. Thanks, Paul

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 7 Oct 2010 15:37

WILLIAM HYND Pedigree
Male Family

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: MARGARET HUNTER Family
Marriage: 20 JUL 1818 Lundie And Fowlis, Angus, Scotland

Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

Source Information:

M113062 1677 - 1820 0991897 Film 6903002 Film

1Set of Banns