Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NEW/Possible he changed name

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sablon

sablon Report 29 Jan 2009 14:33

Things seem to be warming up .I have been trying to find Augustus Barassin and wife Desiree travelling from France to Guernsey/Alderney between 1842 and 1847 or any Barassin's between those dates,Can anyone help please

I HAVE NOW FOUND EVIDENCE THAT HE MAY OF CHANGED HIS NAME ,
Possable grand father GUILLIAUME LE BARBENCHON

father of
JEAN FRANCOIS LE -BARBENCHON
and Helen De La tour /cour from cherbourg France.
So now i am seeking Auguste theodore Le Barbenchon born c 1820,any help would be welcome Please ,Igi has been searched,Thankyou

on the 1841 census guernsey the name is BARBENSBIER

NEW SEARCH any 1841 census's for Barbenson/Barbenchon channel islands please

sablon

sablon Report 30 Jan 2009 08:28

nudge

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Jan 2009 08:31

Hi there - I've looked but can't find them sorry

Ann

sablon

sablon Report 30 Jan 2009 09:16

thanks ann ,he has been a thorn in my side for years,no matter where i look for them i can't find anything, his birth or marriage His death was no help as his father was obmitted on the cert, and place of birth,I have managed to pin point his wifes father as born in Equerdreville france not far from cherbourg.so i am assume Desiree aged 7 yrs returned to France after her father died in 1832,I can't find a marriage for them in the channel islands .They are not on the 1841 census and do not appear till 1851 ,I know they were married before 1847 as there first child was born then,So the marriage must have taken place in france between 1843 and 1847,Thats why i was hoping to find them traveling,

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Jan 2009 09:22

d'you have any other forenames to go on as the Channel Islands have pretty good census records on the Mormon LDS site but not one person with that surname is turning up anywhere!! not even France!!

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 30 Jan 2009 09:32

For ref, this is them in 1851 (and they are present in later censuses):

Name: Desiree Barassin
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1826
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: Augutus
Where born: France

Name: Augutus Barassin
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1819
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Desiree
Where born: France

Civil Parish or Township: St Anne
County/Island: Alderney
Registration district: Alderney
ED, institution, or vessel: 1
Household schedule number: 139

Augutus Barassin 32
Desiree Barassin 25

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Jan 2009 09:34

1881 - found this one but presumably in Canada!!

August BARASSIN M Male English 28 England Laborer Church of England
Susan BARASSIN M Female English 28 England Church of England
Margaret M BARASSIN Female English 3 England Church of England
Susan BARASSIN Female English 2 England Church of England
Harriet BARASSIN Female English <1 Born: Jan; 3/12 England Church of England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Census Place Chatham, Kent, Ontario
Family History Library Film 1375916
NA Film Number C-13280
District 180
Sub-district I
Division 2
Page Number 11
Household Number 59

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 30 Jan 2009 09:38

Is this son Alfred in 1871??

Name: Alfred Berson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1856
Relation: Boarder
Where born: Jersey, Channel Islands

Civil Parish: Tranmere
County/Island: Cheshire
Registration district: Birkenhead

Philip Marett 32 - born Jersey, Channel Islands
Lucy A Marett 27
Alice M Marett 7
Ada E Marett 5
George C Marett 4 months
Alfred Berson 15
Sarah Woodward 22

Alfred in 1891:

Name: Alfred Barassin
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1857
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Alderney, Channel Islands
Civil Parish: St Sampson
Town: St Sampson
County/Island: Guernsey
Registration district: Guernsey and Adjacent Islands

Alfred Barassin 34
Elizabeth Barassin 32
Alfred Barassin 13
Auguste Barassin 11
Albert Barassin 10
Susan Barassin 9
Mary Barassin 7
Arthur Barassin 3
__ Barassin 0

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 30 Jan 2009 09:43

Household in 1861 in Alderney:

Auguste S Barasson 42 - born France
Desiree A Barasson 36 - born Guernsey, Channel Islands
Auguste Barasson 7
Alfred Barasson 4
James Le Lander 47

Were both parents deceased by 1871?

sablon

sablon Report 30 Jan 2009 09:45

Hi Anne
I have searched the orginal census 1841 and 1851 in Guernsey which also covers Alderney !851 census says he was born France and a merchant of vegtables,
On the birth of his fist Child it says Auguste theodore Barassin .another var/Barrasin
Desiree Agnes his wife was born in guernsey 1825 to Desire Agnes c1804 and Marie Magdelaine Le Neveu ,both married in Guernsey.Desire Agnes is the son of Jean Agnes Equerdreville Manche Normandy,
One year after Desiree's 1825 birth Her father married Jeanne Le Neveu in 1826,I have discovered that after Desire the father died she must have gone back to France with the family.In 1842 from a constable report Jeanne returned to Guernsey on board a vessal from Cherbourg and was arrested for being drunk on board the vessal and after the hearing was deported back to France.
she later returned in 1845 and died here.
I know there are connections to Le Neveu/Roger/Agnes/Pitron /Du pont/Mesnil/ but these could be on Desiree's side .The Barassin's are a mystery,there are a few in France,but i cannot pinpoint him down

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 30 Jan 2009 09:48

AnnGG, that one you found could be the son who is 7 yrs old in the 1861 census!

I don't see him in the UK censuses after that.

Is it him, Catheine?

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 30 Jan 2009 09:52

http://www.whitepages.ca/

There are two Barrassin telephone listings in all of Canada at present -- both in Ontario, but in the area north and east of Toronto (one, anyway; the area code covers all of northern/northwestern Ontario), rather than southwest of Toronto where the 1881 census record was. Not surprising that there would be relocation in 100+ years, if it's the same family. ;)

sablon

sablon Report 30 Jan 2009 09:58

the census from evie are correct all are family evan the son in canada I am intouch with that family and they have the same problem as me
We cannot find where he Auguste was born .I have checked all the census's and i must say the original ones here in Guernsey and they do differ a little from ancestry specially 1861 where on the original census it says
Auguste T Barassin 42 yrs born France
Desiree A 36 yrs born gy
Auguste 7 yrs born ald
Alfred 4 yrs born ald

sablon

sablon Report 30 Jan 2009 10:04

Auguste died in Guernsey 1882 no father on death cert
Desiree Died in alderney 1895
I have no problem with any info so far But it is there marriage in France and his birth in france that i am unable to find,I need his marriage to find out who his father was

sablon

sablon Report 30 Jan 2009 10:14

the census that ann found 1881 is the son it says born england but they were born Alderney
Auguste and Alfred are the only surviving children there were 2 more i found but they died in infancy
Alfred
One of his children Thomas who died 1 yr had 2 godparents
Thomas Barassin and Elizabeth Barassin could be cousins to alfred or Aunty and Uncle Brother and sister to Auguste Theodore

sablon

sablon Report 30 Jan 2009 10:24

evie
that is not alfred in jersey,I have him in 1871 in Alderney age 15 with his parents and his brother 20yrs
In 1881 Auguste and desiree are living apart
Desiree is in alderney on her own and Auguste is living with his son Alfred ,auguste died 1 yr later

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 30 Jan 2009 10:30

I'm not quite clear about the Canadian angle.

The son/brother Auguste did go to Canada - ?

For purposes of the 1881 Canadian census, it's likely that the individual and/or the enumerator would not have distinguished between the Channel Islands and England.

I don't imagine there were any other Barassins in the vicinity! So I would think that 1881 household would have to be your man. Do the wife and children not match up with the modern-day Canadian family's info?

Looks like Auguste married in the mid-1870s and had children before emigrating.

sablon

sablon Report 30 Jan 2009 10:36

Hi Evie
Yes auguste the son Married in alderney to susan Ozard in 1877 had Two children then went to canada c1879 they are the right family,But my concerns are only about the father ,Yes they are all the family,I have all info and dates,But it is tracking down his fathers birth and marriage that i am stuck on
Auguste Theodore Barassin to Desiree Agnes ,Alfred Barassin the son is my line,I have everything on this family to the present day ,All the Barassins in the islands originate from Auguste Theodore Barassin.born France, So anyone researching the family are going to get stuck once they reach him,I have been searching for several years and really need help,He is a huge thorn in my side,putting it mildly

sablon

sablon Report 30 Jan 2009 10:50

Just had a look at my notes Auguste emmigrated ontario 1880
His full name Auguste Albert Joseph Barassin

But Please don't let this one concern you,I don't need info on him Just His Father Auguste Theodore Barassin

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 30 Jan 2009 11:04

The thing is, all this is known to you -- but not to anyone else!

We didn't know that you knew about family in Canada because you didn't mention it. So finding that there was, and is, family in Canada is certainly something that seemed, to AnnGG and me, worth mentioning and getting clear on. Sometimes, finding modern day family with passed-down knowledge is the only way to find the olde things.

You didn't provide the actual census details in the Channel Islands, so I went hunting for them to see what they said about birthplaces, for instance, to see whether there were any clues.

As for the real meat of your question -- we sorry provincials hereabouts aren't likely to be able to help much with continental records, I'm afraid. ;)