Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

death certificates

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 20 Jan 2008 20:50

Is there anywhere i can view west ham and surrounding area of essex london certs please with out acctually going there or paying for every likely one that im looking for please?

thank you ..vivienne..

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jan 2008 20:55

No

You can only see them if you buy them

If the deaths were after about 1868, the age at death is on the index, which should help to limit the options............unless the name is very common.

Reg

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 20 Jan 2008 21:04

thank you reggie..yes its a common surname ie head [no first name just male between 30 and 50]and i only have approx years of death 1913 to1916 but i do have prob cause of death and informant so only about another 10 certs to buy.one a week should do it .thanks again .
vivienne

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Jan 2008 21:23

Where have you found him previous to his death?

Perhaps we can help find a name or narrow the search years.

Gwyn

Terri

Terri Report 20 Jan 2008 21:36

I know this is a longshot but I too have Head's in West Ham, Essex. Who was the informant on the Death Certificate?

Terri

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 20 Jan 2008 21:56

i have found him nowhere as he was not married to my g.grandmother as she was married to someone else but seperated and she was with him after 1901.her name was jane cottee nee callaghan and i have traced her back but all i know on " mr" head is that he was my grans father and ..father unknown ..on her cert and that he died between 1913 and 1916 and is in a paupers grave in silvertown cemetary he died of gangrene and drove a horse and cart with big reels of cablewire on,,telegraphwire?.nan never told mum or me his first name only his surname and that her and most of the kids were put in dr barnardos when he died when she was..about 5/6 and she was born in 1909.

any help with head would be wonderful but i feel im on a no go here..

informant was most likely .. jane cottee.. as they were living together and i have 3 certs for head so far if they are any use for anyone.

thanks ...vivienne...

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Jan 2008 22:01

Why not call the cemetary and ask for his record?

Rose

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Jan 2008 22:02

Maybe cemetery records are the way forward here.
A search through Silvertown records might give clues to the right name and time frame.

Gwyn

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 20 Jan 2008 22:09

i cant find a cemetary in silvertown, only the west ham one ,and find a grave plus other sites that iv tried come up nil ,but then im still learning but will keep trying any suggestions on this as mum keeps asking if ive found him yet...im doing my best with help mum ,be patient
thank you for your replies .vivienne..

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Jan 2008 23:02

So it's just word of mouth he's buried in Silvertown Cemetary?

Rose

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 20 Jan 2008 23:13

fraid so,but thats where all my mothers family come from and her mothers and fathers family before then except jane cotte nee callaghan who was born in ireland.. and i have extended my search to other cemetaries in london to no avail so far ,but he has to be in london as they were too poor for a doctor[ so deffinatley too poor to take him elsewhere..will just keep trying death certs and maybe nans birth address will help when i get her birth cert which is also ordered.
vivienne

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Jan 2008 23:29

Could be there never was a Silvertown cemetery. It does seem a bit close to the Thames to make a good burial site.

Try here http://www.eastlondoncemetery.co.uk/

Victims from the Silvertown Explosion were buried here.

Rose

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 20 Jan 2008 23:40

thanks rose [my nans name also] went there as soon as you suggested it but i need the full name and i only have the surname.as they dont have online searches yet only manual..i would go there but its out at the mo as its too far by about 250 miles

but thanks for all help .,vivienne

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 20 Jan 2008 23:54

Are these the births.
Eve F Cottee 1912 dec qt West Ham mother Callaghan. gro ref 4a 499.

James A Cottee 1916 june qt West Ham mother Callaghan gro ref 4a 112

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 21 Jan 2008 00:02

yes .and rose evelyn cottee 1909

and doris cottee 1914

but not sure if doris and james are head kids but eve and rose are for sure .jane kept doris with her but james went to barnardos
doris only died in 2002 and wish we hadnt lost contact as her daughter knows no more than me after tracing her last week .

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 21 Jan 2008 00:10

Is this one.
Jenny D Cottee 1914 dec qt West ham mother Callaghan gro ref 4a 130.

Doris perhaps because I cant find a Doris Cottee

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 21 Jan 2008 00:34

aha .so thats why i spent ages going through the untranscribed records for her!
cant remember where now either the genealogist or ancestry but it was deffinatley her i found.

vivienne

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 21 Jan 2008 00:37

Vivienne

I found Jenny D in the untranscribed on Ancestry

Searched for your Cottee family in genes search box putting West Ham as birth place.

Non showed including yours.

You have yours as Cottee Westham Essex.

By not leaving a space between the West and Ham the computer wont recognise it so it comes up no match.

I would go onto your tree and change the birthplace to West Ham. Then if anyone else looks for matches they will find you.

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 21 Jan 2008 00:46

thank you margaret i will change it,but doris,s daughter has a tree on here ,thats how i found her daughter sort of,she also has my nan on it so dont know why its not coming up now.
anyway thanks for yours and everyones help its much apprecciated
vivienne

Rhoda

Rhoda Report 21 Jan 2008 19:57

hi

dont know if this will help but could you actully mean woolwich cemetery.im from canning town and i know people in the surronding area's do call parts of woolwich silvertown.woolwich cemetery opened in 1884.

you can get a serch done for you but it does cost £45 you will need to give them as much info as posable phone number is 0208 856 2232.

if you go the greenwich council web site it might help you thats where i just got the phone number from.