Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

death/mariage certificates

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 15 Nov 2007 19:01

can anyone advise me on this please! firstly i want to apply for a death cert; but the only information i have to give is, JAMES WORBOYS,born 1834 or 1835 likely born in stepney, his occupation was a cordwainer (i believe means a shoe maker ) and he died between 1853 and 1855!! AND, secondly, for a marriage cert; JAMES WORBOYS married a HANNAH HALLAM early 1850's? in possibly limehouse, stepney area,( they had a son william born 5th june 1853 in mile end old town) i really would appreciate some help from all you clever people out there cos i am stuck!!!

Joy

Joy Report 15 Nov 2007 19:30

Okay then, for starters, have you tried searching the free site free BMD for both of these?

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 15 Nov 2007 19:46

No match on freebmd, this is the nearest I could find to the area:

Births Sep 1852
Warboys James Poplar 1c 533

Deaths Jun 1871
Warboys James 52 Whitechapel 1c 214

Selena

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Nov 2007 19:48

To order a death certificate you need:-

Name of person

Quarter and year of death

Place of registration of death

GRO reference Number (OR be applying directly to the Registration Office).

To find this information,

go to www.freebmd.org.uk

It is a FREE site.

The GRO reference number will be the set of 2 numbers to the right of the place name on the record.

Then go to

www.gro.gov.uk, click on Ordering Certificates Online in the box to the right of the screen, and follow instructions

NEVER pay more than £7 for the certificate (or £7 + postage when ordering from a registry office).

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Nov 2007 19:49

There will not be a birth certificate for him as registration did not start until September 1837.

sylvia

Selena in South East London Report 15 Nov 2007 19:53

wonder if this lady is a relative of James, sister maybe? Or a remarriage of Hannah Hallam?

Marriages Dec 1855
WARBOYS Hannah Harriet Stepney 1c 1013

Selena

Selena in South East London Report 15 Nov 2007 19:55

Oops, left of the grooms!

Marriages Dec 1855

HUGGINS Elizabeth Stepney 1c 1013
MEESON Henry Stepney 1c 1013
WARBOYS Hannah Harriet Stepney 1c 1013
WIGGETT John William Stepney 1c 1013

and
Marriages Mar 1859

Warboys Hannah E London 1c 10
Bevan Henry Sayer E London 1c 10
Dobby Rebecca E. London 1c 10
Rieman John E London 1c 10

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Nov 2007 19:59

I couldn't see a Warboys/Hallam marriage

sylvia

Joy

Joy Report 15 Nov 2007 20:01

Linda?

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 15 Nov 2007 20:17

This is a possible birth, and there are a couple others around the same time. None in the 1830s, though.

JAMES WORBOYS
Male

Event(s):
Birth: 13 JAN 1823

Christening: 13 APR 1825 Saint Andrew, Holborn, London, England

Parents:
Father: JAMES WORBOYS
Mother: DINAH

From http://www.familysearch.org (extracted from parish registers)

Linda

Linda Report 16 Nov 2007 12:08

thanks joy, i have tried them but no luck, but i will try them again!

Linda

Linda Report 16 Nov 2007 12:20

thanks joy, i have tried them but no luck, but i will try them again! .... Sylvia.. yes hannah harriet hallam did marry a john wiggett in dec 1855 i have been lucky to have all the relevant info on them, but its her 1st marriage i am having trouble with, as her son was born 1853 and she remarried 2 yrs later, i am guessing james died shortly after the baby [william] was born! i have willams birth cert that lists hannah and james as the parents and that james registered him, and they lived in stepney! that is all i have on him.

Selena in South East London Report 17 Nov 2007 17:20

Linda, this might be him? Bit strange about no first name thought. I thought this might only be for babies before they had been named.

Deaths Dec 1854
Warboys Male Clerkenwell 1b 340

Selena

Selena in South East London Report 17 Nov 2007 17:21

Linda, this might be him? Bit strange about no first name thought. I thought this might only be for babies before they had been named.

Deaths Dec 1854
Warboys Male Clerkenwell 1b 340

Selena

Selena in South East London Report 17 Nov 2007 17:24

Linda, I am just adding this in case William Warboys is a possible brother to your James.

Marriages Dec 1849

Happe Henrietta Poplar 2 344
Plummer Alcey Poplar 2 344
SAVAGE SAMUEL Poplar 2 344
Steggall Elizabeth Poplar 2 344
Trattell Joseph Poplar 2 344
Vignes Eugene Poplar 2 344
Warboys William Poplar 2 344
Winter Hannah Poplar 2 344

Selena in South East London Report 22 Jan 2008 08:25

I received the following from Linda via PM. She still hasn't found a death cert for him. She is unclear how to bump up her thread.

From Linda via PM:

i have a birth cert for william worboys born in mile end in 1853, it lists his parents as hannah worboys (formally hallam) and james worboys - (occupation cordwainer) ,

I also have census forms for 1851 listing james living with his parents in stratford and hannah living with hers in shoreditch - so as william was born 2 years later, i assumed they must have married within those 2 years, but the GRO have no records!!

Now 2 years after william was born, ( in 1855) hannah remarries to a john wiggett and the marriage cert states her condition as a widow!! so ,again i assume james died between 1853 and 1855 but again the GRO say there are no records of his death!!! So the GRO have said maybe they were never married and just lied for the purpose of a birth cert for william.... and james later proberly did a runner and disapeared... and for hannah to make herself look respectable she just made out she was a widow!!!.... if this is true, i cant see how i can dig back any further!!!

Hoping some other members can offer any advice/help to Linda,

Selena

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Jan 2008 21:17

Linda,

what GRo told you could be true.

A lot of couples lived together common-law, and the woman did take the man's name, and she often did describe herself as a widow after the relationship broke up.

Common-law was at least as common then as it is today.

Have you tried looking for James Worboys on later censuses to see if you can find him?

Or tried to find a death certificate at a time other than the narrow period of 1853 to 1855??

sylvia

Linda

Linda Report 23 Jan 2008 12:15

THANKYOU FOR REPLYING SYLVIA! I HAVE ONLY TRIED DEATH SEARCH FROM 1853 TO 1855 BECAUSE JAMES WAS THE INFORMANT AT THE BIRTH REGISTATION IN JUNE 1853 - AND UP TO DEC 1855 BECAUSE THATS WHEN HANNAH REMARRIED! I HAVE FOUND A FEW JAMES WORBOYS IN LATER CENSUS BUT THEIR AGES ARE RATHER CONFLICTING!

Selena in South East London Report 23 Jan 2008 15:14

On Harriett's marriage to John Wiggett, does it give formally Hallam?

Selena

Linda

Linda Report 23 Jan 2008 15:32

HI SELINA, ON HER MARRIAGE CERT TO JOHN WIGGETT IT SAYS -, HANNAH HARRIET WORBOYS, CONDITION - WIDOW.