Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

US World Ancestry Request

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Richard

Richard Report 7 Aug 2007 01:06

Richard

Richard Report 7 Aug 2007 01:06

Does anybody have access to Ancestry World Package, and if so would they mind doing a look up for me. My G-Grandmothers brother Gilbert Mears b.1880 Bishops Waltham. Must have emigrated to U.S.A around 1902/3. He is on the 1910-1930 U.S.A Censi, (wife Louise, Salt Lake City) but unfortunately I cannot get to view the full details as I only have a U.K subscription. Any help on this much appreciated.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Aug 2007 01:21

I don't have access to the US ancestry BUT ....................... Have you been to the Ellis Island site? It's free. www.ellisisland.org? I found a Gilbert Pinmel Myers arrived 1906, last place of residence London. Allowing for mis-hearing of Mears ................. could this be yours?? You can see his passenger record, and lots of other stuff! Sylvia

Richard

Richard Report 7 Aug 2007 01:27

Thank you for the tip Sylvia, is a great site, but unfortunately he's not mine. If it helps my Gilbert was from Bishops Waltham Hamps. I know he married a Louisa McFarlane May 17 1906 in Salt Lake City, and died there 1976. Ancestry have three census records, and a ww1 draft card for him, but I was rather hoping that someone here may help out, as the upgrade from U.K to world is quite hefty indeed, and can't really justify that cost for a great-great uncle, though I'd still very much like to find out what became of him there!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Aug 2007 03:31

Richard, Ancestry quite often offers 2 week trial periods, or opens certain of their records free for a few days. I took a 2 week trial period to trace my aunt who emigrated there in 1902 with her brnad-new husband. Then last year, I took the chance of another free offer to double check some things. So if you can wait ............... you might be able to do it yourself!!! One tip ........ if you do take the trial offer, remember to let them know at least 3 or 4 days before the end of the period that you do not wish to continue, otherwise they will charge your credit card!! The 2 or 3 day free offer doesn't need that bit of advance thinking! Sylvia (in Canada)

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 7 Aug 2007 03:44

Hi Richard: Utah Cemetery Inventory Name: Gilbert Mears Birth Date: 10 Dec 1879 Birth Place: England Death Date: 7 Oct 1976 Death Place: Salt Lake City, Utah Burial Date: 14 July 1976 Cemetery: Salt Lake City Cemetery Source: Sexton Records Grave Location: N-21-3-3-W Salt Lake City, Utah Cemetery Records, 1848-1992 Name: Gilbert Mears Birth Date: Dec 10, 1879 Birth Place: England Death Date: 10 Jul 1976 Death Place: Salt Lake City, Utah Plot: 99868 N-21-3-W-3 Burial Date: 14 Jul 1976 Social Security Death Index Name: Gilbert Mears SSN: (I can give that to you privately, if you like) Last Residence: 84104 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States of America Born: 10 Dec 1879 Died: Jul 1976 State (Year) SSN issued: Utah (Before 1951 )

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 7 Aug 2007 03:50

1930 United States Federal Census Name: Gilbert Mears Home in 1930: Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Age: 50 Estimated birth year: abt 1880 Birthplace: England Relation to Head of House: Head Spouse's name: Louise Race: White Occupation: Mail carrier; government Age at first marriage: 24 (for both) Parents' birthplace: England (Louise's: father Scotland, mother England) Household Members: Name Age Gilbert Mears 50, England Louise Mears 49, Utah Martha Mears 22, Utah, Cashier, Dry Goods Store Clifford Mears 20, Utah, Metal Worker, Garage Lynwood Mears 13, Utah Wallace Mears 8, Utah 356? Harrison Avenue Immigrated in 1902.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 7 Aug 2007 03:54

1920 United States Federal Census Name: Gilbert Mears Home in 1920: Salt Lake City Ward 1, Salt Lake, Utah Age: 39 years Estimated birth year: abt 1881 Birthplace: England Relation to Head of House: Head Spouse's name: Louise M Father's Birth Place: England Mother's Birth Place: England Marital Status: Married Race: White Sex: Male Home owned: Own Year of Immigration: 1903 Able to read: Yes Able to Write: Yes Image: 1054 Household Members: Name Age Gilbert Mears 39 Louise M Mears 38 Martha L Mears 12 Clifford G Mears 9 Lynnwood Mears 3 6/12 356 Harrison Avenue Mail Carrier, Civil Service (I'm assuming that means U.S. Post Office)

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 7 Aug 2007 03:58

1910 United States Federal Census Name: Gilbert Mears Age in 1910: 30 Estimated birth year: abt 1880 Birthplace: England Relation to Head of House: Head Father's Birth Place: England Mother's Birth Place: England Spouse's name: Louise Home in 1910: Waterloo, Salt Lake, Utah Marital Status: Married Race: White Gender: Male Year of Immigration: 1902 Household Members: Name Age Gilbert Mears 30 Louise Mears 29 Marth L Mears 2 Cliford G Mears 2/12 Occupation: Machinist; Bld Mfg Co. 356 Harrison and Blair? St Number of years of present marriage: 4 (for both)

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 7 Aug 2007 04:08

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Name: Gilbert Mears 356 Harrison Ave. City: Salt Lake City County: Salt Lake State: Utah Birth Date: 10 Dec 1879 Race: White Roll: 1983911 DraftBoard: 1 Age: Occupation: Mail Carrier, U.S. Mail Service Salt Lake City Post Office Nearest Relative: Louise M Mears Height/Build: 5'7?' 135 lbs Color of Eyes/Hair: Grey; Brown

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 7 Aug 2007 04:15

Name: Gilbert Mears Arrival Date: 28 Aug 1903 Age: 23 Years Age Months: 7 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880 Gender: Male Occupation: cycle engineer Ethnic Background: English Port of Departure: Liverpool, England Ship Name: New England Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts Friend's Name: James E Williamson Last Residence: England Microfilm Roll Number: 65 Rose

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 7 Aug 2007 04:17

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943 Name: Gilbert Mears Arrival Date: 28 Aug 1903 Age: 23 Years Age Months: 7 Estimated birth year: abt 1880 Gender: Male Ethnic Background: English Port of Departure: Liverpool, England Ship Name: New England Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts Friend's Name: James E Williamson Last Residence: England Microfilm Roll Number: 65 Occupation: Cycle Engineer? Last Residence: London, England Final Destination: Wellsville Cash Co. Ogden? Utah ...Join relative or friend...: Friend James E. Williamson, Wellsville Cashe? Co. Utah Hi Rose :) I was baking cookies and got so wrapped up in this, forgot them - had to dash into the kitchen before I burned them too badly. :(

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 7 Aug 2007 04:18

He's in the Utah City Directory as owning Mears Bicycle Shop. Rose

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 7 Aug 2007 04:25

http://www*slcgov*com/publicservices/parks/cemetery.htm (replace * with .) Burial Information: MEARS, LOUISE MCFARLANE Birth: 1/19/1880 Death: 11/18/1964 Burial: 11/20/1964 Place of Birth: OGDEN, UTAH Place of Death: SALT LAKE CITY,UTAH Cause of Death: Grave Location: Salt Lake City Cemetery , N_21_3_4_W

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 7 Aug 2007 04:42

Was just about to say that Louise's maiden name was McFarlane as she was the only Louise with father born in Scotland and mother born in England who was a match. Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace James MC FARLAND Self M Male W 32 SCOT Check Clerk R.R. SCOT SCOT Martha MC FARLAND Wife M Female W 32 ENG Keeping House ENG ENG James MC FARLAND Son S Male W 12 UT Going To School SCOT ENG Mary J. MC FARLAND Dau S Female W 10 UT Going To School SCOT ENG Martha I. MC FARLAND Dau S Female W 8 UT Going To School SCOT ENG Joseph J. MC FARLAND Son S Male W 6 UT SCOT ENG John MC FARLAND Son S Male W 4 UT SCOT ENG Louisa MC FARLAND Dau S Female W 1 UT SCOT ENG Source Information: Census Place 3rd Ward, Ogden, Weber, Utah Rose

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 7 Aug 2007 04:44

Beat me again, Rose. :) You're fast! :)

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 7 Aug 2007 04:46

Have to go pick up younger son, stopping for tonight. Thank you for your help, Rose. I wouldn't have seen the directory for Gilbert even if I had looked all night. :( Don't you wish our rellies were as easy to find???

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 7 Aug 2007 06:26

It's nice to have the unusual names Lisa. Rose

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 7 Aug 2007 09:06

Rootsweb: Name: Martha Louise Mears 1 Sex: F Change Date: 17 NOV 2005 Birth: 08 DEC 1909 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah 1 LDS Baptism: 1916 1 Event: 17 NOV 1964 Deseret News, Salt Lake City, Utah Note: Martha Louise Mears was mentioned in the obituary of Louise McFarlane 17 Nov 1964 Deseret News, Salt Lake City, Utah Father: Gilbert Mears b: 10 DEC 1879 in Bishop's Waltham, Hampshire, England Mother: Louise McFarlane Sources: 1. Title: Family and Temple Record of James McFarlane. Abbrev: McFarlane Temple Records Note: A handwritten genealogy and history started by James McFarlane (1847-1921) and continued by his daughters Mary Jane McFarlane and Harriett Ellen McFarlane Millecam Repository: Name: Maybee Society Files 2. Title: McFarlane Obituaries, Subject: Collected Obituaries of descendents of James McFarlane Abbrev: McFarlane Obituaries Publication: Betty Sorenson, 3284 Millcreek Rd, Salt Lake City 84109, Nov 2005

Richard

Richard Report 7 Aug 2007 09:21

Thanks for all that wonderful Info, Lisa and Rose, just what I was hoping for and mores besides, very greatful indeed.