Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Went to America................

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 8 Aug 2007 15:13

I have a few ancestors that emigrated to America does anyone have access to records that might show what happened to them once they arrived. Details to follow....

Karen

Karen Report 8 Aug 2007 15:23

The names are ;- Thomson G Wright - believe he sailed on the ship Servia which arrived in New York 09/07/1888. He was about 21 and born in Norfolk. The others are a family who sailed on the barque Harvest in 1854. The names of the family are Rebecca Garner 38 Rebecca Garner 19 ?? Garner 18 Elizabeth Garner 15? Norah? Garner 13 Josiah Garner 12 Martha Garner 11 Shelomith Garner 11 Eliza Garner 10 Naomi Garner 9 Suzannah? Garner 7 Hepzibah Garner 6 I believe that some of them did arrive in New York due to a freak wave washing them overboard but i do not know which ones this applies to. If anyone can find out anything about these individuals I would be most grateful. Kind regards Karen

Karen

Karen Report 8 Aug 2007 16:30

Oops - some of them did NOT arrive in New York...

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 8 Aug 2007 16:58

Hi Karen: I'm starting work in a few minutes, hence the hasty reply. Aww, it's sad. I've never seen deaths recorded for lookups I've done. :( Rebecca Garner, 38 Lost Overboard Rebecca, 19 Lost Overboard Jas?, 18 Elizabeth, 18 Sarah, 13 Josiah, 12 Martha, 11 Shelomath, 11 Eliza, 10 _____, 9 Lost Overboard Susannah, 7 Lost Overboard Meplzebah, 6 Lost Overboard I hope I copied the information correctly. There are other Garner's listed (on a different page - perhaps not related). I have to start work now.

Karen

Karen Report 8 Aug 2007 22:00

Thanks. I wonder what happened to the children when the arrived in New York? Is there anyway of finding out?

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 8 Aug 2007 22:47

Hi Karen. Found the copy of the manifest on Ancestry. If you would like a copy PM me your email address. Malcolm. Also the manifest for Thomson G Wright -- bricklayer.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 9 Aug 2007 03:45

Are you still looking for further information? Found this on Rootsweb: - MARTHA GARNER (JAMES HENRY) was born March 09, 1841 in Wangford, Suffolk, England, and died August 25, 1923 in Silver City, Mills Co., Iowa. She married BENJAMIN TALBOY Abt. 1859 in possibly Connecticut, son of THOMAS TALBOYS and ANNE VOAS. He was born June 07, 1834 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England, and died September 05, 1926 in Silver City, Mills Co., Iowa. --------------------------------- 1880 United States Federal Census Name: Martha Talboy Home in 1880: Knoxville, Marion, Iowa Age: 39 Estimated birth year: abt 1841 Birthplace: England Relation to head-of-household: Wife Spouse's name: Benj. Father's birthplace: England Mother's birthplace: England Occupation: Keeps House Marital Status: Married Race: White Gender: Female Household Members: Name Age Benj. Talboy 41, Spinner Wool Factory Martha Talboy 39 Shelomith Talboy 12 Thos. Talboy 8 Walter Talboy 7 Benj. Talboy 2 Richard Talboy 1

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 9 Aug 2007 03:57

http://www*old-merseytimes*co.uk/BALTIC.html (replace * with .) Northern Daily Times Mon Sept 28th, 1854 The U.S Mail steamer BALTIC arrived at 3am this morning, Capt COMSTOCK, she left New York on the 16th inst with 123 passengers News The barque HARVEST arrived at New York from Liverpool and during her voyage 13 passengers were washed overboard by a single wave.

Karen

Karen Report 9 Aug 2007 09:25

Thanks for the info received - its very sad to think that these people went to start a new life an never managed to reach their destination. It musthave been awful for the children to lose their mother and siblings and have to be in a foreign land. Karen

Karen

Karen Report 9 Aug 2007 12:37

n

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 9 Aug 2007 14:14

Karen, would you like us to look for the rest of the children in America? -------------------- Also sad is they may have seen their family perish. Am I correct in thinking the father died in England?

Karen

Karen Report 9 Aug 2007 17:45

I would love it if you could find anymore of the children in America - I wouldn't know where to start! I would have to look in my files to see what happened to the father but cant do it at the moment as am having a bad day!!! (daughter has just broken a bedroom window by throwing a stone at it) Anything you can find would be a bonus. Many thanks in advance. Karen x

Petrina

Petrina Report 9 Aug 2007 18:21

Oh dear - that's what I call a REALLY bad day! At least it isn't raining I hope. Maybe people on here can turn it into a good one. :)

Karen

Karen Report 9 Aug 2007 18:48

I hope so - they usually can. Lucky it isn't raining or windy but knowing my luck the weather will change through the night!

Karen

Karen Report 9 Aug 2007 21:18

n

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 10 Aug 2007 00:46

1860 United States Federal Census Name: Sholom Garner Age in 1860: 18 Birth Year: abt 1842 Birthplace: England Home in 1860: Huntington, Fairfield, Connecticut Gender: Male Post Office: Newtown Household Members: Name Age Beny Folbry 21 Martha Folbry 20 Sholom Garner 18 Beny Folbry could easily be Percy Tolboy or possibly Beny. 'Beny' was a spinner; Sholom/Shalonis was a weaver.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 10 Aug 2007 08:57

1870 United States Federal Census Name: Martha Talboys Estimated birth year: abt 1845 Age in 1870: 25 Birthplace: England Home in 1870: Palmyra, Warren, Iowa Family and neighbors: View Results Race: White Gender: Female Post Office: Palmyra Benjamin, 35, owns and runs a _______ factory Martha, 25, m Henry? J, 10, m William, 5, m Bell, 4, f Shelomith, 2, f

Karen

Karen Report 10 Aug 2007 10:46

Cheers

Karen

Karen Report 11 Aug 2007 08:54

Can anyone with access to American records find Thomson Garner Wright who went in 1888?? Thanks Karen

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 11 Aug 2007 16:57

Did Thomas have an occupation in England? There's this (possibly more, quite a few Thomas'): 1900 United States Federal Census Name: Thomas Wright Home in 1900: Cheyenne Ward 1, Laramie, Wyoming Age: 33 Estimated birth year: abt 1867 Birthplace: England Relationship to head-of-house: Head Spouse's name: Johann Race: White Occupation: View image Immigration Year: 1888 Household Members: Name Age Thomas Wright 33 Johann Wright 26 Felix Wright 5 Willy Wright 2 Occupation: Barber