Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is the 1837online absolutely complete?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrea

Andrea Report 3 Jul 2003 20:57

Can anyone tell me if this site is completely finished? I have been searching on this site for the last couple of days for the details of the living relatives that won't help me with their details, but I am struggling to find them. How far does this data go? It says 1837 to date but is this true - if so, why can't I find my brother who was born in 1998? Please help before I waste any more money!

Andrea

Andrea Report 3 Jul 2003 21:12

Thanks Rosalind but that was just an example. After searching for over an hour and not coming up with anything, I just thought I would do a "tester" to see if the site was fully complete "to date" as it says. When it didn't find my brother, I lost faith and came to check with you lot before I wasted any more money. Thanks anyway.

Crista

Crista Report 3 Jul 2003 21:23

Andrea, I've managed to find my family members on 1837online. Sometimes it appears people were late registering and they can show up a month or so later. Try that with your brother and don't use his middle name. Crista

Suzy

Suzy Report 3 Jul 2003 21:23

Andrea Make sure you are looking in the correct quarter. For example, if your brother was born at the end of September, he may not have been registered until October, in which case his birth would be in the December quarter. Do you see what I mean?

Andrea

Andrea Report 3 Jul 2003 21:24

Again, no banana!!! I come from the North West of England but now live in Austria! Oh what fun!! I will just assume that it isn't "up to date" and just concentrate on the older people. Thanks again.

Graham

Graham Report 3 Jul 2003 21:35

Andrea Why not ask the 1837 site direct the true state of their indexing? Graham

Vera

Vera Report 4 Jul 2003 08:27

Andrea The 1837 online site is NOT complete. Go to their Home page and find the following sentence "Please note: We have not yet transcribed the whole index. A breakdown by event and year can be viewed 'here' " Click on the word 'here' and it will show how far they have got with the indexing. Vera, Manchester LAN

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jul 2003 10:16

Vera, your confusing 1837online with FreeBMD. 1837online is complete and not only that all records after 1984 were computerised anyway meaning that if you can't find your brother born in 1998 then he isn't there.

Andrea

Andrea Report 4 Jul 2003 10:32

Sorry Stuart, but that doesn't make sense as I know my brother definitely DOES exist - so what's going on?!!! If the records are complete then surely he should show up? ??????? I guess I will check with them personally to find out. Thanks for your help everyone!

Suzy

Suzy Report 4 Jul 2003 10:50

Andrea As I said before, are you looking in the correct quarter?

June

June Report 4 Jul 2003 11:23

Hi Andrea, A couple of months ago I searched for my grandfather I only found 2 records. this morning I have found 9 records including the 2 I found before. Now I might have missed the odd one, but not 7, so I think they are still updating. June, Preston.Lan.

June

June Report 4 Jul 2003 17:25

Sorry Stuart, I am not confusing 1837 with BMD (since when did we have hand written details on BMD) I have just been into 1837 and they are still correcting missing images,blank sheets, etc. It explains it in great detail. Nice one Vera! June, Preston.Lan.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 4 Jul 2003 17:33

Stuart, If as you say 1837 is complete then why is my son not on there. I do know he exists (I was in agony for hours!!) and also know what qtr he was born in, but he is still not there!! Kim Sandhurst

Suzy

Suzy Report 4 Jul 2003 17:54

Kim Is the quarter your son was born in the same one he was registered in?

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 4 Jul 2003 21:07

Suzy, No he was born in Oct and comes under Dec qtr Kim PS hope you don't mind but I have another pestering msg for you re Kitty O'brien I send it tonight if thats ok. Kim

Graham

Graham Report 5 Jul 2003 06:50

I'm totally confused - the Family Research Link web site says: Welcome to Family Research Link On this site you will find an entire copy of the indexes of Births, Marriages and Deaths for England and Wales from 1837 to 2001. And elsewhere it reiterated by saying: Please note that this is a full set of the publicly available records for England and Wales. There are no known omissions. These indexes do not cover Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands. Graham

Vera

Vera Report 5 Jul 2003 08:24

Sorry folks I think I was having another senior moment the other day. Yes, I was confusing the 1837 online with the Free BMD. I really should engage my brain before I type. Vera, Manchester LAN

Andy

Andy Report 12 Jul 2003 00:14

I was looking through the birth index, this evening for one of my Cook relatives and noticed that there was a gap as the names seemed to jump from Cook to Cookson. When I looked at the page nos at the top, I could see that there were 3 pages missing. So, based on that evidence, it is not complete.

Karen

Karen Report 12 Jul 2003 08:44

I found 1837 online very useful. I wasn't sure of some of my ancestors whereabouts, so i had to take wild guesses. My great grandfather was born in Hadleigh in Suffolk, but i couldn't find an entry for him. I had the right year but the registration was made in Cosford and not Hadleigh. Apparently that was the registration district and it was this, that was making me think he wasn't registered. Ancestors website provided me with this information, but I think you have to register with them before you can retrieve this info.

Alan

Alan Report 12 Jul 2003 09:41

Hi Kim Price I'm obviously missing something here! Ignorance probably - naivety definitely! BUT - IF your son - as you say - should appear on the 1837 register - then how old does that make you ?