Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Photographing Rellies houses etc...

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maxine

Maxine Report 21 Oct 2003 15:27

See below

Maxine

Maxine Report 21 Oct 2003 15:28

I just wondereed if you thought it is acceptable practise to photograph the houses of our dear departed rellies. Of course I would ask permission of the present owners, preferably by letter in advance. Does this seem fanatical to you? I just wondered if anyone had any experience of doing this and how it was taken by the present owners? Regards Maxine

BrianW

BrianW Report 21 Oct 2003 15:38

Haven't had this problem yet, the only one I've photo'd is the Inn (built in 1808) where my great grandad was lodging on the night of the 1881 census. Strange experience, drinking in the bar where he ate and drank one hundred and twenty two years ago.

Diane

Diane Report 21 Oct 2003 15:41

Dear Maxine, You have had the very thought of what I had the other week. As you said it is best to ask permission and if they happen to be out take one anyway. It would be lovely just to say that is where my ancesters used to live. As long as they weren't living in any mud huts!! I think it's a great Idea....... Diane...........

Carol

Carol Report 21 Oct 2003 15:47

Something I had been thinking about too. Though most of the houses my ancestors lived in have now been demolished to make way for multi storey flats.

Chris

Chris Report 21 Oct 2003 15:50

What a great idea,I have fond memories of visiting my nana in Liverpool when I was young I think I just might sent the present occupiers a letter with a S.A.E and ask them if they would kindly send me a photo of their house. I have heard rumours that they are going to knock Norris Green down so if its true this may be my last chance to get a photo. Thanks for the Idea Maxine Chris

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Oct 2003 15:50

Brian, I was going to ask if you wanted a photo of the inn, -not too far from me. We have only had good responses when we have asked to photograph houses with family links, we contact first and ask permission. Knowing how difficult it was to get a photograph of my grandparents cottage, (now demolished) I suggest to any new parents I know that they may like to photograph their house and keep it with their new baby's birth cards etc. Such a simple thing to do but someone may be thankful, one day.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 21 Oct 2003 16:23

We actually had two elderly women knock on our door and ask if they could look through the house, as the older one had lived here 50 years ago (she described the house, before we even had a chance to invite her in). We were pleased to have her look around.

BrianW

BrianW Report 21 Oct 2003 16:51

Gwynneth Very kind of you: you've been of enormous help, although I wouldn't want to embarrass you by detailing it all on here. Re: photos, I'll see what comes out when the film's developed: if I've boobed I might ask. By the way, have they replaced any of the signs in Kent that they took down to confuse the Jerries at the beginning of the war ;-)). Navigating round there was like going round Hampton Court Maze, made more difficult because Stone Street was closed and you were sent on a grand tour type detour.

Maxine

Maxine Report 21 Oct 2003 17:03

Thanks for the responses - I'll get writing! I was just a bit unsure incase they thought I was weird!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Oct 2003 17:03

Brian, It's a bit like that round here! Even a friend who lives locally found herself queuing to go through the Channel Tunnel, when negotiating road signs.

Cali

Cali Report 21 Oct 2003 19:08

Go ahead - you don't know what you might find - my Father has been going round visiting all the places his Grandfather lived in that I've found so far through my research. At the house in Bacup, Lancs he spoke to the people living there (who'd only been there 40 years) but it was unchanged structurally and they let him have a quick look round. He also spoke to the lady next door who'd lived there all her life and her parents and grandparents before her and she thinks she may have some photos showing our and her ancestors from about 1900... I also took a photo of the old Railway Inn public house (now a private dwelling) in Chartham, Kent, my home village for a lady who'd found her mother had been born there

John

John Report 21 Oct 2003 19:53

This isn't fanatical! I've taken a few photos of houses in the last year. I never actually asked permission, but if someone asked me what I was doing, they'd always be interested in who lived in their house years ago. Perhaps I should have written! The photos go next to census returns, bmd certificates etc. It brings them alive as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes I do b/w and not colour. John :o)

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 21 Oct 2003 20:29

Hello Maxine Just thought I would mention the Godfrey Old Ordnance Survey Maps again. They are turn of the century 15 inch to the mile. Its lovely to see exactly where your ancestors lived. The maps are so detailed that virtually every house is shown. maps £2.10p each 50p p&p if you buy more than one the postage is the same. www(.)alangodfreymaps(.)co(.)uk Prospect Business Park, Leadgate,Consett,DH8 7PW Tel 01207 583388 Regards Shirley

Penny

Penny Report 21 Oct 2003 20:31

As many old houses now have been listed (and not just the grand ones ) try this website you may find it has been photograped already. I came accross this website as my mum had her house photographed and went outside to ask the photographer what shewas doing! (They also photographed the lamppost and church railings in her street) It was for a national database. You can search by area narrowing it down as you go. You do need to register but its free. My mums house is just a three bedroomed town house but its in a conservation area as it was built sometiome in the 18th century I believe. Penny http://www(.)imagesofengland(.)org(.)uk/home.asp

HampshireMel

HampshireMel Report 21 Oct 2003 20:35

Hello all, Ive got a whole list of houses that rellies have lived in, Ive roped my sister into going around taking photos of them all as ive moved away. I think she thinks ive gone a bit to far with this idea and that im mad but luckily shes agreed to humour me! Good to see its not just me doing it! Demelza

Andy

Andy Report 21 Oct 2003 21:43

Whilst on a family researching holiday, I found my Great Grandads house in Hunstanton, of which I took a few photos, I didnt ask anyone if I could, but did get a few strange looks from neighbours. But would have explained what I was doing if challenged.

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 22 Oct 2003 06:05

Maxine I have done so on a couple of occasions. In one case the owner of the cottage in a remote Scottish village wasn't able to give me any info about the rellie - but he had a lot to say about the history of the cottage. I'd say go for it and, if possible, get the owner's/occupant's permission. Nothing ventured....and all that! David

Sue

Sue Report 22 Oct 2003 09:48

When we were on holiday in Devon (researching of course) we met the people living in the house where relatives had lived in late c18 early c19. They were very interested and invited us in to have a look around. The lady had transcribed part of 1891 census and was very interested in family history. It was a strange sensation, knowing that GG Grandparents had stood where we were standing, and although the house had been modernised, it is a listed building so most original features are intact. Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Oct 2003 10:15

Hi, Can't think why I never thought of this before, its a great idea and the idea of the putting a photo of the house in a baby book is great, wish I'd thought of that as both mine were born abroad and maybe not likely to return. I have just bitten the bullet and written a letter to a house some ancestors lived in, enclosed a stamped addressed envelope and will let you know how I get on. Great idea!! Sarah