Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

London 1861 Census arrived today

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 22 Oct 2003 20:17

I have now received the 1861 London Census discs, including the name index. However, disappointingly, the name index is not complete, only certain areas have been transcribed. The name index disc is also quite slow. Therefore, although I am happy to do look-ups for anyone, please give me an address and area wherever possible. Sandra (Lancs)

Debbie

Debbie Report 22 Oct 2003 20:29

Hello Sandra I`m not sure whether you could find a Charles Day born c1845 the only thing I know about him that he was born in Westminster. Not a lot of info im afraid but please please could you have a little looksy. Thank you Debbie

Valerie

Valerie Report 22 Oct 2003 20:38

can you look up on William Virtue he might be married to Eliza, he should be living in willow st, Bermondsey. Thanks for your help. Valerie

Marion

Marion Report 22 Oct 2003 20:39

Hi Sandra, I have 1851 information on the following family at 19 Markham St Chelsea if your cd covers this area~ Mary HAWKER w born 1817 birthplace unreadable in Devon. I would like to know if she is still alive in 1861 or if there are any children still at home? Marion

Sandra

Sandra Report 22 Oct 2003 20:49

Debra, Valerie, Marion I will take a look, do my best. Get back to you. Sandra

Margaret

Margaret Report 22 Oct 2003 20:51

Hi Sandra Any chance you could look up Edgar Rust, his wife Catherine and any children. They lived in the St George Hanover Square area. Margaret

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 22 Oct 2003 21:37

Hi Sandra, When you have the time, could you look up Dennis and Bridget Lane, living in the the St Giles in the Fields area, maybe in Great, Little or Wild St. By the way, hoping to go to Islington next week to take the photo's. Thanks very much. Lynda

Sandra

Sandra Report 22 Oct 2003 21:42

For Debra Sheppard Had a look at the disc covering Westminster and it is quite a large area. I will have a look for you but it could take some time. I work all day, so it may not be until weekend. For Valerie Nelson I have been through all Willow Street, Bermsondsey, but there is no-one by the name of Virtue. For Marion Strange No Mary Hawker at 19 Markham Street, Chelsea. Sorry girls - wish I had better news! Sandra

Emma

Emma Report 22 Oct 2003 22:03

Hi Sandra, I know you really wanted addresses which I'm afraid I don't have but I know the general area which would be Islington/Shoreditch/Clerkenwell/Holborn/Stepney for the name Sylvester Coman or his parents William and Sarah Ann Coman. Knowing my luck this will be the area that hasn't been name indexed!! Many thanks in advance. I don't know if you have access to the 1891 census - I have a subscription to ancestry so I can do a look up in return if you need one! Thanks again, Emma.

Debbie

Debbie Report 22 Oct 2003 22:04

Thanks Sandra Dont worry too much theres no real hurry. Its not as though he is going anywhere. Debbie

Marion

Marion Report 22 Oct 2003 22:27

Sandra, Thanks for looking. It just confirms my suspicions that Mary Hawker had died and that her family have moved on. Her kids were Mary Ann born 1838, Henry born 1842, and John born 1844, all Chelsea. If you have quiet time in between other requests would you be able to look them up for me without address? Not to worry if not possible. Marion

Sandra

Sandra Report 22 Oct 2003 23:00

For Lynda Pace Hi Lynda, there is a disc for St Martins-in-the-Fields, but the only disc for St Giles is "Hackney, St Giles and Strand". I have checked out the St Giles area on that. I found a Great Wild Street and Little Great Wild Street. Have looked at all properties in those but only found a John Lane (b Ireland) and family. No sign of Dennis and Bridget I'm sorry to say. If you manage to get to Islington next week, have a good day, and I will look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes Sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 22 Oct 2003 23:04

Hi Everyone I will print this thread now and have a look at it again tomorrow evening. (I'm going cross-eyed now). Goodnight all :-) Sandra

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 22 Oct 2003 23:04

Thanks Sandra, Dennis Lane father was called John, if it's not too much trouble at some time, could you tell me who John was living with. Thanks so much for looking. Lynda

Maggie

Maggie Report 22 Oct 2003 23:36

Hi Sandra, Could you please look up James and Sarah Dipple in Bethnall Green, am trying to find out what children they had, I only know of Henry Dipple at the moment who was born at 18 Scott Street in 1855, but I don't know if they were still there in 1861. Thanks, Maggie.

Doreen

Doreen Report 23 Oct 2003 00:23

Hi Sandra - if you remember you said you would look up this address for me if you could....8 Douro Street, Bow.....I would like to know who was living there....should be Eliza and Thomas Taylor and I would like to know ages and where born, and maybe Parkes. It is very near to Roman Road, Bow, E.3. at the Parnell Road end. Thanks......Doreen Berry.

Teresa In Canada

Teresa In Canada Report 23 Oct 2003 01:25

Hi Sandra; If you get a chance could you please check for Joseph Benjamin Walker possibly Wandworth /Battersea or Bayswater areas. Age around 25, born in Cheltenham, Glos.The 1881 census lists him as a traveller (salesman I think) Also his father Joseph, no idea of age but would guess around 45-50. Sorry its not much to go on.I have been stuck on this fellow for over three years

Penny

Penny Report 23 Oct 2003 01:43

Hi Sandra - this is very kind of you to offer to do look ups. If you ever have the time would you mind looking for John Collett (listed as a soldier on a daughter's marriage certificate in 1863) Spouse was Frances In 1861 children at home could have been Sarah Collett, Emily Collett and perhaps Edward Collett al children were Christened at Saint James, Bermondsey, London. Sorry I have no address - (I have just found the above information and trying to find more) If you happen to find them - would appreciate knowing ages of John and Frances and if there are any other children listed and anything else that may be listed. (I don't know what was listed in 1861 on the Census)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Oct 2003 07:08

Please will you look for a John and Jane ROWELL, who married in St Pancras Old Church in 1856? He was a French Polisher at that time. I am trying to establish where Jane was born. They may have been the parents of John William ROWELL bapt.St Andrew, Holburn in 1858. They could be anywhere, I know, but as this was away from where Jane was probably born, I'm hoping they were in London in 1861.. Many thanks.

Valerie

Valerie Report 23 Oct 2003 12:19

Sandra, Thanks for your help, I will try another area. Valerie