Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Churchyards

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Penny

Penny Report 27 Oct 2003 17:34

Following on from the 'records office' and 'where do you live' threads I wonder if we could pool resources on Churchyard/cemetery lookups. I know there is a website going which I have added my details to but havnt heard anything. I live in Dereham Norfolk and would be willing to look in say a 10 mile radius for the villages such as Mattishall and Scarning. I would love a lookup in Moreton Essex at what I think is the St Mary's Church for all Spellers and Matthews. As it is halfterm it would have to be next week though otherwise the kids will think we are off on a halloween jaunt!! Penny

HampshireMel

HampshireMel Report 27 Oct 2003 18:05

Hello All, Ive also added my details to a website about being able to do searches of this kind. I live in Waddington village, Lincolnshire and would be quite happy to do searches in any of the gravyards here. Its a brilliant idea and would save people alot of time not to metion money with all the travelling. Demelza

Penny

Penny Report 27 Oct 2003 19:00

Ive just noticed that on the guest board Shaun says he is no longer running the cemetery search website for various reasons, (my details never made it to the site) so a little nudge, looks like we will have to do it ourselves. Penny

Elaine

Elaine Report 27 Oct 2003 21:46

Hi Everyone, my offer to cemetery search never got posted either so I'll offer again now if anyone would like I can search Littlehampton,Rustington and Lyminster in W.Sussex and could take photos too if anyone wanted. Regards to you all, Elaine

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 27 Oct 2003 21:57

Can do East London and West Essex within reasonable drive from Walthamstow. Maz. XX

Sally

Sally Report 27 Oct 2003 22:19

I to tried to add details to web site I can visit churchyards near to Westbury in Wiltshire eg Trowbridge, Melksham, Warminster,Westbury maybe Frome in Somerset and Devizes in Wiltshire in its any help Sally

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 28 Oct 2003 00:49

I am willing to go to cemeteries in Hull/Beverley and surrounding East Yorkshire villages. Will take photos also. Jeanette

Penny

Penny Report 28 Oct 2003 07:14

Maz, thanks for your kind offer,I have emailed you direct.lol Penny

Angela

Angela Report 28 Oct 2003 11:48

Hi all, I'm willing to check in Bradford (which includes Undercliffe cemetary which is HUGE!!!!) if anyone wants and can do digital photos to email. It'll have to be next week however cos the last time I took one of my kids to one of these he nearly fell down a sunken grave!!!!

Andrea

Andrea Report 28 Oct 2003 11:57

So these messages don't get lost - would it be worth putting them on the new "Records Office" board? This new board is for people who are willing to help out and go to records offices (I think). They put the details of where they are willing to look. Just an idea. PS I am not meaning to say - "this isn't the right place for these messages"! I was just thinking it may be easier if all the helpful people put their details on the one board so we know where to look. No offence intended at all.

Penny

Penny Report 28 Oct 2003 19:15

Hello all, I have roped my mum into this too. She lives in Poole Dorset and is willing to look around any churchyards or cemeterys nearby! Please contact me via members email if poss, if not on this thread. Penny

Lynda

Lynda Report 29 Oct 2003 00:11

Jeanette If whileyou are trolloing round the Beverley/Hull area graveyards you happen to come across graves for Harness/Harniss I would be very gratefull for any information that you may find. My paternal ancestors are spread all arround that area. Thank You Lyn in Yateley Hants.

Penny

Penny Report 29 Oct 2003 07:32

Hello everyone, I have added a thread on this to the new Records Office board, but I'm not sure which one would be best to look at. I'm going to print them off when it gets full as it will probably dissapear at some point. For threads like these we could do with a permanent non moving board what do you think. Penny

Elaine

Elaine Report 29 Oct 2003 08:47

Hi Penny ,Yes I agree with you a permanent board for items like this would be great at least we'd know where all the contacts were and I can see this one becoming very popular.I know I've said it before but you lot out there are really great,never when I started on my genealogy route march did I think that it could be helped so much by a terrific site like this where everyone was so keen to help everyone else. Polish up your halos everyone!!!! Elaine

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 29 Oct 2003 09:59

I live on the Kent/East Sussex border and can go to : Wittersham, Tenterden, Appledore, Rye and others in that area. I have already looked at Benenden, Cranbrook and Frittenden for someone. Unfortunately, I found that the local stone used in the 1860's and 1870's was very easily eroded and difficult to read.

Penny

Penny Report 30 Oct 2003 08:30

Any more? or shall I print off and save now? Penny

Ellen

Ellen Report 30 Oct 2003 12:37

I live close to West Bromwich cemetery and All Saints church yard (again West Brom). I visit every fortnight. I also quite often wonder round St Laurence at Wichenford and St Peters Martley, both Worcester. Helena

Debbi

Debbi Report 30 Oct 2003 13:01

Barnstaple(as long as you say which one) South Molton George Nympton Kings Nympton swimbridge filleigh landkey chumleigh will look in any of these for rellies and/or take pictures for people if you find a area close to one of these where you need a look i will go when i have the time as long as it isnt too far. debbi xx

nic87

nic87 Report 30 Oct 2003 14:24

I can look around the graveyards in Halifax,West Yorkshire but won't be able to visit very often, as i'm still at school, but i'll do my best :) Nicola

Vanda

Vanda Report 1 Nov 2003 08:18

nudge