Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone here from Southsea please?! Streetname help

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katie

Katie Report 14 Nov 2003 22:02

Hi, my ancestors were living in Edmund Road, Southsea in 1901 but I cannot find them on the 1891. Does anyone know if Edmund road had another name in 1891 or which district it was under? By 1901 it is Southsea, but I'm not sure whether to search Kingston, Portsea, Landport etc. I am going to have to search the census pages one by one to find them so as much info as you know would be fabulous please! -Kat

Eileen

Eileen Report 14 Nov 2003 22:04

Hi Kat, I know Southsea well, and have various maps of the area, i will look them out and get back to you. Eileen in Portsmouth

Eileen

Eileen Report 14 Nov 2003 22:12

Hi Kat, yes it's still there, in fact i was down there just this week! It's off Albert road Southsea, and not far from Fawcett road hope this helps Eileen p.s. if you give me the address, i will go and take a photo for you.

Katie

Katie Report 14 Nov 2003 22:22

Thank you Eileen! They lived at No.1 Edmund Road. I wondered if it was formerly called Wilton Terrace, as that it where the family lived before (in both 1881 and 1891). I don't know much about either street you see. If you are in Southsea and it is not too much trouble then a photograph would be lovely - the person that lived there was my paternal grandmothers father and she has alway been upset that her dad's things (all family photos, everything) was discarded by his landlady while he was in service). Thank you once again, -Kat

Eileen

Eileen Report 14 Nov 2003 22:37

Hello Kat, I am almost sure this is the Nursery I viisit to see my students. If it is getting a photo shouldn't be to difficult. The houses on this street are large and havn't changed to much over time. Will get back to you as soon as possible. Eileen in Portsmouth

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 14 Nov 2003 22:42

hi kat , wilton terrace wasn't the same as edmund rd it was in landport but no longer there(my g grandmothers family lived there about 1895/6) karen

Eileen

Eileen Report 14 Nov 2003 22:43

Hello Kat, fogot to say, Wilton Terrace is also still in Southsea and off Victoria road south. Eileen in Portsmouth

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 14 Nov 2003 22:48

kat, me again,just a thought but the houses in edmund road were probably built between 1891 and 1901.its not too far from me and my house was built about 1910, my mum lives in the other direction and hers was built around 1890, hope that helps, karen

Katie

Katie Report 14 Nov 2003 23:00

Eileen - Thank you so much. I look forward to hearing from you. Karen - Thanks for that. It is this troublesome family again - they seem to have been against recording their info! My great great grandad has no birth certificate, no death certificate, no death for his wife, no birth for his daughter, no census info forhimself in 1881, no census for him and wife in 1891 and there is no death for his father. I am beginninning to get really disillusioned with this family - it is always the ones you really want to find who are so dratted difficult! ;0) Thank you both. -Kat

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 15 Nov 2003 20:53

kat, went by edmund rd today,no1 is on the fawcett rd side,didn't have a camera with me as i would have taken a photo. any luck with finding wilton terrace? karen

Katie

Katie Report 15 Nov 2003 20:58

None so far Karen - I have got the wilton terrace pages up and the mother & sister of my ancestor are on there but not him. I had them already. Thanks for the info o Edmund Rd. -Kat

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 15 Nov 2003 21:01

kat, what was his occupation? maybe it took him away from home, karen

Katie

Katie Report 15 Nov 2003 21:07

On the 13th of January 1891 he lived at 3 Goodwood Rd, Southsea and was a cab driver. His daughter died aged 1day you see. By 1898 he was living in Edmund Rd. He was always living in Southsea but neither him nor his wife are on the 1891 census. -Kat

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 15 Nov 2003 21:18

oh well that theory went out the window then. i'll put my thinking hat on again,although the last thought took a long time,give it a week or two and i might have another, karen

Katie

Katie Report 15 Nov 2003 21:19

Don't worry Karen - my braincells have been on strike longer than the postmen! -Kat

Eileen

Eileen Report 16 Nov 2003 10:06

Kat, Would you like me to get a photo of Wilton Terrace Southsea, i am off to photo Edmund road now. Eileen in Portsmouth

Eileen

Eileen Report 16 Nov 2003 16:10

Hello Kat, have photo's of Edmund road and Wilton Terrace, just need your e-mail to send them. I have also looked up the 1891 census disk, and Walter or Fanny are not on it. I will look at the census when i next go down to the records office. Eileen in Portsmouth

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 16 Nov 2003 19:41

kat, there was also a wilton terrace in landport, i thought it was the one in southsea that i was after but when the cert came it was the one in landport, karen

Katie

Katie Report 16 Nov 2003 21:40

Karen - remember that boundaries have changed - Portsmouth and Southsea were all inter-mingled! I have a certificate or two where the address is listed as being, ----- Southsea in the sub-district of LANDPORT. So your wilton terrace is probably the same one. Thank you so much Eileen I have emailed you, the photos were wonderful! I have another adress now, 12 Oxford Rd, Southsea - which is where the family were in 1898 when my great-grandad was born. (according to his birth cert) but I am still hoping for a clue in the address from 1891 - so fingrs crossed! -Kat

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 18 Nov 2003 15:44

kat, thanks i didn't realise that although my mum can remember the one in landport,it was demolished in the late60's early 70's.but i'll certainly be looking again to check if i've got the right one, karen