Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Origins of Family names does anyone???

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 20 Nov 2003 20:19

Know whether there is a website where you can find out the meaning of a particular surname? Many thanks, Sandra

Flossie

Flossie Report 20 Nov 2003 20:54

ive got a book on the meanings of eglish surnames do you want me to see if i can help?

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 20 Nov 2003 21:13

Sorry to butt in Gillian - but I'd love to find out the origins of my maiden surname FRESHWATER. I mean did we live near it, dig wells for it, or originate from the Isle of Wight???? I'd be thrilled if your book could give me any idea! Thanks! Dierdre X

Flossie

Flossie Report 20 Nov 2003 21:33

Hi Dierdre Freshwater not in my book nearest is Freshfish which means a nickname for a Fishmonger. Although Water is also a medievial pronunciation of Walter which means mighty army. Sorry cant help any further. Gill xxxx

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 20 Nov 2003 21:52

Thanks for looking Gillian....never liked my surname when I was a girl, but I think I'd sooner have been a Freshwater than a Freshfish! Thinking about it though, presumably fishmongers were given the name because that was what they called out when selling their wares? Maybe Fresh Water evolved for a similar reason? Thanks again! Dierdre X

Sandra

Sandra Report 20 Nov 2003 21:57

Hi Gillian L would love to find out the meaning of three diffrant surnames all in my family tree. If it is no trouble to you .They are Varey Dunstan Betts. Thank You Sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 20 Nov 2003 22:20

Hi Gillian yes please. I would like to know where the Surname HIND came from. Most of the Hind family came from Nottingham Oxton, a Hamlet back in the old days about 1600 or before containing about 58 people all found and my Hind's seem to have connections with most of them. There is also a couple of links to the Sheriff of Nottingham(prefer it to be Robin Hood though). Many thanks Sandra

Flossie

Flossie Report 20 Nov 2003 22:31

Hi Sandra Watson Varey variation of Varrow which is clearly a late development of Farrow due to a an unetymological substitution of intial V for F. So now need to look at F for Farrow. = Farrow is a variation of Farrar which in turn is a variation of Ferrer which means worker in Iron (Smith). Hey I bet you thought your name was unusual!!!! Dunstan - as book - Dunstan, Dunston, Dunstone Dun(e)stan1 1086 DB;Dunstun de Berstede 1275 RH (K); William Dunstan 1212 Cur (Db); Thomas, Margaret Dunstan 1275 RH (K), 1327SRSf . OE Dunstone 'hill-stone'. (ii) Alexander de Duneston' 1190 P (L) Hugo de Dunestun' 1202 FF (Nf) From Dunstan (Northumb) Dunstun (Derby, Lincs, Norfolk), or Dunstone (DEvon). Do you want to phone a friend or just take the audiences word that it means Hillstone!!!!! Betts goes into even more detail than the above I will get my Husband to photocopy the explanation and e mail it to you. Gill xxx

Flossie

Flossie Report 20 Nov 2003 22:38

Hi Sandra Carter Hind, Hinde, Hindes, Hinds, Hynd, Hynds = "female of the deer" perhaps "timid as a hind" Gill xx

Sandra

Sandra Report 20 Nov 2003 23:05

Hi Gillian, thats me timid. Thankyou Sandra

Alison

Alison Report 21 Nov 2003 11:33

If you type surname meanings into a search engine it comes up with loads of sites but I bet no one can find the meaning of the surname Clilverd Ive been tying for over a year!

Darren white

Darren white Report 21 Nov 2003 11:36

Hi Gillian, Would you mind looking up 3 of my family surnamess please, Hewitt, Hughes, White & Beebe Thanks, Darren (Nuneaton)

Michele

Michele Report 21 Nov 2003 11:46

Hi Sandra Would you mind looking for Coventry, Chandler, Rosher and Hutchinson. Many thanks Michele

Flossie

Flossie Report 21 Nov 2003 13:15

Darren Hewitt = Old English from Hewett "cutting" so possible local people named Hewitt as they lived in a place where trees had been cut down. Hughes abit tricky this one as there are so many variations of the name not onlu in spelling but parts of UK. The main meaning seemes to be "heart,mind" White again this ones tricky as White seems to be a variant of a few different names therefore has different meanings. OE hwut "White" of fair hair or complexion. From Wyte "dweller by a bend or a curve"in a river or a road. From Wait or Wayte "ambush" place wher one lies in wait.. It is more likely to denote " a place where one watches" "a look out post". (i hope you can understand this its very confusing) Beebe There is a reference to Beebee but no meaning Im afraid. Have I been of any help??? Gill xx

Flossie

Flossie Report 21 Nov 2003 15:59

Hi Michele Coventry= from Coventry!!!!! Chandler=maker or seller of candles Rosher= not in book probably not English Hutchinson = son of Hutchin which was originally a christian name with many different spellings and pronounciations, it then became a surname doesnt seem to have a meaning though. Hope that helps. Gill xx

Flossie

Flossie Report 21 Nov 2003 16:03

By the way my name Singleton just means from Singleton in Lancs and my maiden name Powers v Power means poor. I always believed Power was Irish although I have traced that part of my family back to 1700's all born true Cockneys!!!!

Darren white

Darren white Report 21 Nov 2003 21:03

Thanks Gillian The White surname I always thought was to with the trade Whitesmith, but yours matches my description blond hair fair skin! & as for Beebe I it was something to do with Bee keepers & mead Thanks again Darren (Nuneaton)

Michele

Michele Report 22 Nov 2003 08:39

Thanks Gillian I think Rosher has possibly come from Germany Appreciate the help. Michele

Vivienne

Vivienne Report 22 Nov 2003 09:18

Sorry Darren didn't have this when u asked yesterday! www.lastname(dot)com. this give you a brief history of your surname and will tell you if there is a coat of arms. However, as always, if you want to see the C.O.A. it's at a price! Viv

Vivienne

Vivienne Report 22 Nov 2003 09:18

Sorry Darren didn't have this when u asked yesterday! www.lastname(dot)com. this give you a brief history of your surname and will tell you if there is a coat of arms. However, as always, if you want to see the C.O.A. it's at a price! Viv