Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is 1901 complete?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Feb 2004 16:45

I am looking for someone on 1901, I have his birth listed as June quarter of 1900 but he is not coming up whatever variation of his name I put in. Is 1901 complete and if so has anyone got any suggestions please.

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 4 Feb 2004 16:50

From One Suzanne to another Susanne ....LOL Is it possible the birth was in the June but not registered until sometime in the future (possibly July) that would push it into the next quarter. Sioux

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Feb 2004 16:55

LOL....I have got the birth ref but what I am looking for is other family members on census. He should be coming up as he would be around a year old or just under and I know he didn't die cause he had children but no sign of him over the whole country!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Feb 2004 17:01

I have got his death ref and the age and everything agree with birth so I know that it is correct. Did wonder if he could have been in hospital at time of census, If he was I know exactly where but how on earth do you get a listof patients?

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 4 Feb 2004 17:10

hi susanne i too cant find my grandad on 1901. i know his date of birth was 27 jan 1897 so he should be 4yrs old.he had 4 older brothers and a younger sister all born before 1900. using the decoder i put all their names in but not one of them came up as living in the same area,let alone the same house!!! im still trying to find the names of his parents. i dont think it is complete unless my g/dad wasnt born but still managed to get married ,have kids and then die susie

Gail

Gail Report 4 Feb 2004 18:03

I had the same problem with my Gt Gt Grandmothers family, she would have been 11 or 12 in 1901 but I haven't found any of them. They were all on the 1891 census, so is the 1901 Census complete or not??????????? Gail.

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Feb 2004 18:18

Just checked 1901 and it does say that parts of Deal,Kent are missing and the odd page had damage so certain info missing. The person I am looking for was not in Kent so either on damaged page or in hospital but dont know if there is any lists available of people in hospitals.

Kim

Kim Report 4 Feb 2004 18:25

Don't forget you can do an institution search for any children that may have been at boarding school. I have also read somewhere that people that were travelling( bear in mind was a sunday night) would be missed off unless an enumerator caught them . Then also bear in mind the 600 so entries listed as surname and christianname nk/nk not known on the 1881 .If thats the case there would probably be as many on the 1901. I can't find my great grandfather or geat uncle and they were 20 and 13years old . Somewhere I also read that parts of Kent 1901 are incomplete as the original transcripts were damaged. Not sure how much though. May be they'll surface one day. KIM

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 4 Feb 2004 18:57

Have you tried his first name, age (1 +/- 1) and place of birth?

Kim

Kim Report 4 Feb 2004 19:08

If you think he was in hosptial . go to institution search , type in hospital in first box and then area eg. london and it will come up with a selection. bear in mind you will have lots to look through though if you don't know which one ......KIM

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 4 Feb 2004 19:13

Why dont you post the details and then someone may be able to have a look for you. Liz

JillGr

JillGr Report 4 Feb 2004 19:29

Have you thought about transcription errors? I (eventually) found some of my SAYERS transcribed as LAYERS. and a Mrs Bielby transcribes as Wm BIELBY (male). Try putting in first names only. age and date of birth. Jill

Caroline

Caroline Report 4 Feb 2004 20:41

That's what I ended up doing looking for a g-grandmother. I had her on the 1881 and 1891 census' and have her marriage certificate for 1911 so I knew she had to be about, in the end I just looked for her first name and second initial, age +/- 2 and her place of birth and up she popped. Her name is Edith Ruth GOHM but the census transcribe had her as Edith R JOHN. I had to have a look at the actual census to confirm it was Gohm and not John but finally I found her......! don't give up hope, you will find who you're looking for...eventually! ;o)

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Feb 2004 21:00

Thank you for all the ideas, I had already put in the name of the hospital which he would have been in at the time but all it seems to do is show the first page of the census not list of people. I will keep trying all variations of his name and see what happens....

Kim

Kim Report 4 Feb 2004 22:10

i'VE had Lewis as Louise , Judd as Tudd ,William as Willan and Courtenay as Courting. There's been |Frimley transcribed as Firmely , Strouvelle as Strouwelle, Sprague as Straguill. Marg. as Mary and Edward as Eward. And if you look on institutions its got Charing Good hospital surely it should be Charing Cross. Ive also had Elvetham as Elvettain. It's a wonder really that we canfind anyone at all....KIM

Geoff

Geoff Report 4 Feb 2004 22:30

Kim, they are transcribed by humans - how many typing mistakes did you have in your last paragraph? ;)

Gillian

Gillian Report 5 Feb 2004 09:50

Whats his name?

Kim

Kim Report 5 Feb 2004 09:59

GEOFF, I'm not complaining really I know my typing's awful. but I just thought if you are paying to look the transcriptions should be checked by another human? I obviously know that mistakes can be made , but there seem to be far more in in 1901 in my family than in all the other things that have been transcribed . I'm not having a go at transcibers, just when it's taken you 2 years to find someone I understand how frustrating it can be. And the govt sending the work to be done in India is just adding the likelihood of more mistakes. But please don't take offence I aam human toooooo,and I enjoy moaning!!!! bye KIM ;~))

Geoff

Geoff Report 5 Feb 2004 11:50

Kim I quite understand the frustration :) Two of my grandparents on 1901 were lost until I found the "correct" spelling. Transcribing for FreeBMD, I find that 2-3% of the page numbers are indecipherable and a similar number are open to doubt, and this is from a scan of a PRINTED original.

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Feb 2004 12:19

This all came about because I decided to give my family tree a break and try to help a friend with the name Medlar........Now I am really worried, How many possible variations of my tree Gray and Berry?!!!! Out come the Kleenex....