Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What are the chances?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 26 Mar 2004 11:57

Hi All I took a book out of the library the other day, for the area of Bitterne which is where most of my ancestors came from. And in it was a picture of a woman called Elizabeth Abraham it mentioned her husband Josiah Abraham and son Samuel Abraham. Now there are not many Josiah's about, and I have just recieved my Great Great grandmothers Susan Abrahams birth certificate and it says father Joseph Abraham and mother Elizabeth Abraham Formerly Gray. Also I have Susans marriage certificate and one of the witnesse's was a Samuel Abraham. Do you think the picture in the book is one of my Ancestors. Unfortunetly the lady that wrote the book Irene Pilson was fairly old when she wrote the book in about 1985 and if still alive would be about 98 now. There is no contact to find out more. And I would love to be able to use this picture or would I be breaking the law. Any suggestions please. Plus if anyone that has Ancestors from the Bitterne area of Southampton hampshire should read this book so many pictures and stories. Book title More Memories of Bitterne. Thanks Debbie

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 26 Mar 2004 12:10

Hi Debbie What a find, eh? All very spooky! How about writing to the publishers to see if they can shed any light? If the lady who wrote the book has passed on, she may still have living relatives. Jeanette

Debbie

Debbie Report 26 Mar 2004 14:11

Hi Jeanette Thanks for the reply, yes it was spooky the lady in the photo is quite old and dressed in black she's the spooky one. The lady that wrote the book was actualy the publisher and it gives her address, I dont think she is related, I think I will have to write a letter or something. Thanks Debbie

Annie

Annie Report 26 Mar 2004 14:25

Hi Spooky indeed, and fascinating. Sounds like the book is a sequel. From the point of view of the photo, does it say anywhere in the book something like 'photos printed by kind permission of ....' ? Just a thought. Ann

Debbie

Debbie Report 26 Mar 2004 15:13

Hi Ann Yes the book was a sequel and I have the first one as well but it just about the womans family, and I cannot find any connection, there were a lot of names at the back that the woman thanked for information and one of the names Ian Abrahams is the chairman of Bitterne History Society so I have just wrote a letter explaining it all and asking him if he could help in anyway. and I am just off to post it now. so I am keeping my fingers crossed, I do hope the picture is of my great great great granny that would be wow. but I would love a copy of the original unfortunly the book is out of print now so I cannot buy the book to keep, but have just renewed it over the phone to the Library so I have it for another 3 weeks. Thanks Debbie

Annie

Annie Report 26 Mar 2004 18:52

I hope you get a reply from Mr Abrahams. Please let us know how you got on. I LOVE stories like these. xx Ann xx

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 26 Mar 2004 19:09

Yes Debbie, let us know how you get on. Jeanette

Debbie

Debbie Report 26 Mar 2004 20:09

I will let you know if I recieve a reply, it will be like waiting for a certificate I expect and that is something none of us are very good at. I ordered a certificate from my local registry office on monday and it arrived today which is a long time for me. No patience Debbie

Debbie

Debbie Report 13 May 2004 11:14

Well I thought I would let you know about how I got on. I sent a letter to Mr Abrahams and yesterday I recieved a wonderful letter but it was not from him. It turns out even though he has the same surname he is not related but he handed the letter to someone else who was, a Mr Abraham. Anyway it works out he is the cousin of my Great Grandmother Rose, if Rose was still alive she would be 138 So I do not know yet how old this new distant cousin of mine is. Anyway it was fasinating he told me that my GGGG Grandmother in 1827 her husband died leaving her to bring up 2 sons and 1 daughter 5 7 and 8 in 1837 after a hard life the oldest son Thomas stole a Sheep and was transported to Van Diemens Land Tasmania. And the poor mother was sentenced to 6 months hard labour. This is the first ever story I have found from my ansestors and it is so exciting. Aparently the story continues upto the end of the century. He wants me to write or phone him to swap stories and photos. Thats my problem though I feel as though I have nothing to offer him I have one photo of Rose and absolutely no Stories to tell. So I think I will probably write to him with the names I have. And the book I got out of the library is a picture of my GGG Grandmother and it wont let me scan properly so I am going to have to try and buy the book from somewhere. I have renewed it 4 times now. I could say I have lost it and they could charge me LOL. Anyway that is my story so far I couldnt sleep last night as it was all going round in my head. Thankyou for listening Debbie

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 13 May 2004 11:55

Hi Debbie, What wonderful news! Don`t feel that you have nothing to offer, he may have nothing on your particular branch of the family, or have some gaps that you can fill in. In most cases, it`s just enough to know that you have a "new " relation (especially one thats also interested in family history!). I recently made contact with someone in America that is researching my maiden name. Turns out we are actually 4th cousins! Emails are now flying back and forth, mostly about our lives and families, but I`m sure we`ll talk about our ancestors eventually! Rebecca :-)

Debbie

Debbie Report 13 May 2004 12:02

Hi Rebecca It does feel good when you find a new cousin, Only trouble is as he says in his letter that he has a computer but he does not know how to work it. So I think my hand is going to be worn out but it does feel really nice to recieve a letter. I mean when a little envelope arrived on the doormat I thought to myself who on earth would right me a letter havnt had a personaly written one for absolutely ages. And it felt really good. Perhaps you can visit your new cousin in America one day now that would be good. I think I have worked out that this man is a fourth cousin as well. Debbie

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 13 May 2004 14:33

Hi Debbie, I imagine your letters may eventually turn into phone calls, makes life a little easier on the hands, lol! Going to America would be wonderful, although he doesn`t live anywhere near Disneyland, so the kids (and hubby) would moan a bit! My new cousin is actually over here this week, but we have no chance of meeting up, as he`s over for work (he`s in the air force), and will be stuck on the base all week! :-( Rebecca

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 May 2004 15:38

Debbie, Exciting news. Why don't you ask the library for help. Ask them if they can copy the picture for you, tell them your story. Offer to pay for it.. They can only say no. Have you got a digital camera? Try taking a photo of the picture with it if you have, might be able to get something. Ann Glos

Debbie

Debbie Report 13 May 2004 15:59

Hi Ann I do have a Digital camera I never thought of that. And I have to take the book back next week so I will ask them to see if they can copy it for me. Thanks Debbie

Smiley

Smiley Report 13 May 2004 16:08

Check out AMAZON Debra, the book is £10.50, I would want a copy to keep if I were you. Sam

Debbie

Debbie Report 13 May 2004 19:01

Hi Samantha Have checked Amazon out and might order it, but dont you need a credit card card to set up an account. I am not sure. thanks for that Debbie

Christine2

Christine2 Report 13 May 2004 19:47

Have just asked Hubby (he has ordered books from Amazon and says yes he feels sure the only way is credit card. Chris

Debbie

Debbie Report 13 May 2004 20:00

Thanks Christine Well that counts that out as I dont use Credit Cards. I am hoping to join a history society in the area so I might inquire there if anybody has an old copy. Thanks Debbie

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 13 May 2004 22:40

Check to see if the book is available secondhand on abebooks.Its a bit like e-bay for the secondhand book trade.

Debbie

Debbie Report 13 May 2004 23:28

Janet Thanks for the tip there were 2 on there one was £12.50 and the other was £25.00. Then I went back to amazon which was £10.95 and realised they take cheques and debit cards. So I never feel safe giving my debit card details to a site I have never used. And are Debit cards safer that Credit Cards? Thanks Debbie