Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Infant Deaths

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maggie

Maggie Report 16 Jun 2004 19:49

I have quite a few infant deaths in my tree between 4 months and 3 years old... I have the death certificates for all of them anyone any idea how I would find out where they were buried, did they bury them in those days? Maggie

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jun 2004 20:38

If your family was poor they were probably buried in pauper's graves. I think they would be listed in the burial register though. I hope they buried them!

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 16 Jun 2004 20:43

Two of the babies born to my Great Grandparents in 1896/8 were buried...then my Great Grandparents, my Grandmother and now my Mother are all in the same plot. Maybe its worth finding the adult graves you may find they are with them. Good Luck Sheila

Maggie

Maggie Report 16 Jun 2004 23:29

Thanks Helen, Where would the Paupers burial register be kept? Maggie

Maggie

Maggie Report 16 Jun 2004 23:30

Thanks Sheila, Maggie

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jun 2004 23:47

Forgive me for being sarcastic, but what do you think they did with the babies if not bury them ?

Sarah

Sarah Report 17 Jun 2004 00:42

Sorry Paul but I think that kind of response is likely to prevent people from asking questions - the only daft question is one that isn't asked. It might seem logical to you, but personally I wouldn't like to assume that what we consider appropriate today to have been the case decades ago.

Tracey

Tracey Report 17 Jun 2004 00:52

Paul, I agree with Sarah, perhaps cremation was an option. Losing a child is traumatic enough, at least a burial, albeit in a pauper's grave, would have given the parents some sense of closure. It seems only nowadays that we have become a hard hearted people who can dispose of unwanted babies in rubbish bins etc. No, I'm not climbing on an anti abortion soapbox here because this is not the place, but if it gets some people thinking about it.....I have made my point.

syljo

syljo Report 17 Jun 2004 05:52

This is the same question I asked on General Topics and which a few took as distasteful. Anyway, will look forward to a sensible answer to your question!

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 17 Jun 2004 08:05

And the 'sensible answer' is yes 'babies' do get buried and cremated.

Geoff

Geoff Report 17 Jun 2004 08:29

Someone did some lookups for me on the NBI (National burial index?) and one was aged 1 day.

JillGr

JillGr Report 17 Jun 2004 08:50

My Gt Grandparents had 14 children. Only 4 survived. All the ones who died were buried in Common Graves in Whitby Cemetery. The youngest was 12 hours old. Scarborough Crematorium who look after the records for Whitby were extremely helpful and gave me the plot numbers for each grave and also sent me a plan of the cemetery.

Anne

Anne Report 17 Jun 2004 13:46

I only found out about my G grandparents 4 dead babies because there was a mention of them on their father's gravestone. "In memory of four children died in infancy". There were no names dates or ages but at least it pointed me in the right direction. As to where they were buried - I have no idea. Anne

Ian

Ian Report 17 Jun 2004 13:59

Maggie Infant deaths - either we think about these matters or we don't. If we do, then it is necessary to consider every eventuality that can be thought of - proper burial through to medical research, and no doubt it happened then too. If the child was not baptised then I believe they were buried in unconsecrated ground, outside the churchyard. Coupled with lack of grave marker it is likely to make matters hard to track down. Ian

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 17 Jun 2004 14:23

Sylvia the tone of this question is VERY different to yours. The lady who started this thread does NOT refer to the babies as "it". She obviously thought long and hard about the wording before making her post.

Michelle

Michelle Report 17 Jun 2004 14:42

My father's sister died at three weeks, I have her birth and death certificates, but when I searched for her burial record at the local council, it was never found. I was told by the lady at the council, that babies when buried around the walls of the church or chapel within the cemetery, so when it rained, the water that fell off the chapel became holy and blessed the babies buried below. M.

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 17 Jun 2004 14:48

Oh how sweet...what a nice thought

Jenny

Jenny Report 17 Jun 2004 18:33

One of my children was stillborn at term 8 years ago and at the time lots of older women opened up to me about their experiences. It was quite usual even 30 years ago for stillborn babies or those who died in infancy to be buried with an adult and for parents to have no idea where the baby was buried. I think it is a particuarly emotive issue for us in the 21st century because we don't have to face up to the loss of infants in the way our ancestors did.

Maggie

Maggie Report 20 Jun 2004 16:01

Hi Everyone, Wow what a lot of replies, I thought I would just check to see if anymore replies had come in and there they all were! The children I am mainly talking about are my Grandmothers brothers and sisters, my grandmother always said that she was the youngest of 9, we only knew of 5, I have now found all nine but was curious as to how they buried or even cremated in those days, it must have been so heartbreaking to lose any child but to lose 3 within 6years with the average age of 18 months must have been awful. So from the replies I have had it looks like if I phone or contact the local church where they died they may have them in their burial index, even if it was a paupers grave. Thanks everyone. Maggie

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 1 Nov 2005 18:03

I was discussing this with a friend recently, who said that because infants were often buried for free, they were often laid in the coffins of strangers.