Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

on the verge of tears

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kylie

Kylie Report 17 Sep 2004 09:19

I had such high hopes of finding my natural father on this site, but I've had no luck. I'm so disappointed right now. I'm just about ready to throw in the towel!! If only people would reply to my emails!! Anyway, before I totally pack it in - is there a site that can help me search passenger lists of people who left the UK for Australia (in the 1960s and 70s). I've searched oz passenger lists, but they only cover 1926 - 1930. Any other advice is most welcome.

Lily

Lily Report 17 Sep 2004 09:41

Don't give up, love. I gather, from reading other GR's postings, you have to persevere and then, one day, there is a breakthrough......... I have just started looking for a cousin (who was adopted at birth) and hope to find her one day - if she wants to be found.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Sep 2004 09:44

Oh Kylie - wipe them eyes - come on don't give up - just read the success stories, people have been searching for years then all of a sudden there is a breakthough up pops a message that you have been waiting for. Please Please don't stop now - it will happen. Lin

Kylie

Kylie Report 17 Sep 2004 09:50

I know - patience is a virtue!!! No use getting upset about someone I've never known, and didn't want to know me, is there!! I won't give up - too stubborn!! Thanks for the kind words. :)

Jan

Jan Report 17 Sep 2004 10:19

Type in 'cyndi's list immigration' in any search engine, you will get the link to the immigration part of the most famous genealogical site on the web - there will surely be something there to help. Alternatively type in British emigration and another selection of sites comes up. I don't actually know if any will be of use but they may give you a clue as to where to look next.... Jan

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Sep 2004 10:35

Kylie It's not that they don't want to know you - It's a case of they are not looking in the right place. I found part of my family by advertising in the local papers in areas that they might have lived. Lin

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 17 Sep 2004 11:08

Hi Kylie, This is not really a site for looking for living people, it's for tracing your ancestors. The Office of National Statistics have a service caleed Trace line and (for a fee) they trace living people and get a message to them. HOW CAN TRACELINE HELP YOU? Traceline may be able to assist by attempting to trace the whereabouts of the person being sought. When the person being sought has died, within England or Wales, Traceline will advise how to obtain a copy of the death registration details. If it appears the person is still alive Traceline may offer to seek permission to forward a letter from the enquirer. Traceline informs the person being sought that a letter is being held at the Traceline office. The onus is on the individual to decide whether he/she wishes to receive the letter and as a consequence establish or re-establish contact. Traceline will only act when it is clearly in the interest of the person being sought. Traceline reserves the right to refuse an application or withdraw its service at any time. No information regarding individuals or their whereabouts is ever disclosed. WHO CAN APPLY? Private individuals Traceline may help re-establish contact between family or friends who have lost touch. Traceline cannot offer our letter forwarding service in cases involving adoptions*, current or former wives or husbands, friends of the opposite sex, or in any circumstances where contact may be disruptive. Applicants must be aged over 18. *Advice about cases involving adoption can be obtained by contacting Adoptions Section, General Register Office, Smedley Hydro, Trafalgar Road, Southport, PR8 2HH. Tel: 0151 471 4831. Traceline P.O. Box 106 Southport PR8 2WA Tel: +44(0)151 471 4811 Opening hours:- Monday-Friday 9.00am to 4.30pm. Fax: +44(0)1704 563354 Gwynne

Kylie

Kylie Report 17 Sep 2004 12:31

Thanks everyone - I've been on those sites before with not much luck (as yet), but it has been a while. I'll try them again. Thanks again.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 17 Sep 2004 12:40

I am just looking at this site now.....it goes up to the 60's. *http://www(.)blaxland(.)com/ozships/* if you tell me his name I'll have a look while I'm searching for mine. good luck, Karen

Crista

Crista Report 17 Sep 2004 13:29

Kylie, Try Joan Allan at www.myfolks*co.uk She charges a small fee to cover the cost of her equipment but she has helped a lot of people on this site. Crista

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Sep 2004 13:40

Kylie Don't give up. I started to search for my birth mother and thought I'd have no chance with a surname like Jones but I now have an address for her so it can be done. If you need any help at all, let me know what you're looking for, who ,when, where blah blah blah and I'll try and give you a hand. At a bit of a loose end now my search is done! Ali

Kylie

Kylie Report 17 Sep 2004 14:59

Wow - you guys have been really helpful. Thanks so much. I'm hoping the myfolks site will give me some leads!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Sep 2004 17:05

Hi Kylie, just adding another 'don't give up'!! Another good organisation to try is Norcap, they are genuine and a registered charity. They have a website, it's the name with (.)org after it. Again, there are charges, but they found my birth family. Good luck, please keep us posted! Mandy :)

Sheila

Sheila Report 17 Sep 2004 19:46

Hi Kylie, Sorry to hear your so upset at the moment, but its not time to give in yet, just time to buckle down to some more searching, a lot of the sights mentioned above are brilliant, but they only do searches in the UK, judgeing from your message your father emigrated to Australia. Go on to the following site www.infobel(.)com you will find a lot of things on there that may help you in your search, including the Australian White pages, it may take a while, but I'm sure your up to the challenge :O) Good Luck with your search, let me know if I can be of any further help to you. Best Wishes Sheila

Ange

Ange Report 17 Sep 2004 20:22

Hello Kylie, Iknow what you mean about people not answering e-mails it really gets you down doesn't it? Don't give up hope. I've had the same thing with them not replying but you know there are people out there willing to help. Stick with it best of luck Regards Angie

Deep In Thought

Deep In Thought Report 18 Sep 2004 15:17

Have you tried this site : www.theshipslist.com It might be worth a try best of luck

Kylie

Kylie Report 19 Sep 2004 06:59

I haven't tried that one! Thanks!

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 19 Sep 2004 09:11

Just a thought Kylie, and I hope it doesn't put you off your search, but have you considered that he might have flown to Australia when he emigrated? My sister and I had that choice in the early 1960's and decided to do it as we would be spending less money en route. Sylvia

ken from Hunua

ken from Hunua Report 19 Sep 2004 09:37

Hi Kylie If the person you are looking for was a '10 pound pom' like I was it may be worthwhile contacting Australia House or whatever it is called these day. Most likely the Emmbasy in London somewhere in the basement will be the passenger lists. Ken.

Kylie

Kylie Report 26 Sep 2004 08:35

Thanks so much everybody - you're advice has inspired me to keep on looking!! You have all given me some great tips. I'm currently searching best I can for immigration records - unfortunately they're not so easy to access over here in Oz. I'm not forgetting to include air travel. I've got a lovely lady helping me in the UK too (thanks Ali!!) - so between the both of us I hope I get somewhere!!